Hey there everybody, I recently purchased a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp and I really love the sound coming out of it, the only problem is that the main guitar I use is a PRS SE. Since its got humbucker pickups, If I try to play this guitar on the clean channel of the amp, I can't get it past 2.5 on the volume without it being majorly distorted.

I have a Fender Lead II (it has single coil pickups), and it seems to be able to play a slightly louder without distorting, which I am upset about. I am not sure what kind of pickups the lead II are installed with, but I was wondering if I bought some nice new single coil pickups, would I be able to play alot louder without the sound being distorted? And if so, do you guys recommend any pickups for my guitar?

Thanks,

Joey
Thats just the nature of humbucker pickups.

In m experience the HRD should be able to get very loud and still remain cleanish.

Whats your EQ like? Do you use your guitars volume at all?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
"Will putting in new pickups help my amp sound better?"

No, but it may make your guitar sound better.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Buy low output pickups!
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
try switching to the neck pickup and turn the volume down as stated before also picking dynamics come into play when using a tube amp if you pick softer you will get a cleaner sound. I can go from heavily distorted sounds to clean with my amp simply by turning the volume down on my guitar and picking more softly. If that doesn't work look for some lower output pickups maybe a p90.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
it will sound cleaner if you put a lower output pickup in you guitar as stated before, but it isnt the pickups causing the distortion... its your amp. Turn down the gain on your amp, also roll off the volume on your guitar, that should help.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

i use seymour duncan '59s through my hot rod deluxe bluesman and its some of the best cleans ive heard.
^^^^

The distortion is caused by the amount of volume fed into the tubes. Low output pickups would send less to the tubes, which means a cleaner sound. If you have high output pickups, even rolling down the volume knob of your guitar might not make is as clean as doing so on a guitar with low output pikcups.

In other words, get low output pickups.
yeah, lower output will help, as will (Fender-style) single coils as they generally don't drive the amp as much as humbuckers. problem is, fender-style single coils aren't likely to fit.

you have a few options:

1) fit lower output humbuckers. it'd be worth measuring your current humbuckers first to see how hot they are. combine with higher quality tone and volume pots, tone capacitor, and a treble bleed capacitor on your volume knob (so that if even the lower output humbuckers are still driving the amp too much, you can roll back the volume slightly and still retain your sparkle and treble), and ideally get 4-conductor ones and a push-pull pot so you can split them to get more single-coil-like tones with less output.

2) Fit humbucker-sized single coils. I'm not certain if this is a great idea, because although I've never tried any, they're normally based on p90-style single coils, and they generally drive an amp pretty well, too.

3) Fit something like seymour duncan p-rails, where you get several different tones from the one pickup. I haven't tried them, they may suck or they may be great (or they may be average).

4) Fit something like the Seymour Duncan Stag Mag- they're made more like single coils, so when you split the humbucker, you supposedly get a "true" single coil tone. I haven't tried them either, so I have no idea how accurate they'll be, and common sense suggests that, although the split tone will be better, the humbucker tone will likely be a bit brighter and not as authentic, but they might work for what you want.

Up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, lower output will help, as will (Fender-style) single coils as they generally don't drive the amp as much as humbuckers. problem is, fender-style single coils aren't likely to fit.)

Why wouldn't they fit? I would be putting these single coil pickups in my Fender Lead II, not my PRS. Is there something I'm missing here??
oh i thought you meant you wanted to make your PRS get a sound similar to the Fender, with more headroom
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
put a 5751 in V1 of the amp. this will tame things down a bit.

the jan phillips is about $20 on tubedepot i believe.

also, lower the pups on the SE a little as well.

just another couple things to try that are cheaper than pups.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
good ideas
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?