So While I was sleeping I remember dreaming about me playing on my guitar a really cool riff that I never heard before, So when I woke up I just wrote it and started developing it a bit, has this ever happened to you when the tabs just appeared in your dream?
I thought this would be the most appropiate forum to post this.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Too many times. I always wake up and forget exactly how the riff goes, though.
Despite his place he can't ask for more,
He can't recall what he had before,
When all the while he can fake a smile on cue
I've never dreamt a riff and remembered it, but if I come up with something in my head I can visualize myself playing it and figure it out from that. Pretty cool though.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I dreamt about a song. THen I woke up and wrote a totally different song...but hey. Dreams are just to **** with our minds.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I think I read that the starting riff for sweet home alabama was dreamt about by the lead guitarist.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Keef did this with Satisfaction.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Half of my songs have started in/from a dream.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
i've dreamt of playing cool riffs, then when i wake up i try to play it exactly the same but when i play the same thing on the fretboard it sounds completely different, and usually sounds awful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I've managed to dream almost entire songs before, but when I wake up I can only remember a few random parts
I just wish I could remember anything about my dreams at all...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
yeah iv dreamt of loads of riffs. but i wake up with it in my head at 1ish and it just takes to much effort to get up and work it out on the guitar. and by the morning iv forgotten it :/
I do that sometimes, but it always sounds so much better in the dream...
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

yeah but usually i write it down like at three in the morning and when i get wake up and look at it to try to play it its either completely unintelligible or sounds like crap
When you sleep, part of your brain is still thinking. It's that part of your brain that inspiration comes from. You don't follow its thought processes but you get its results. When something just hits you, that's where it came from. Scientists hypothesize that dreams follow this unconscious thought, but they lack the evidence to say so.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by vidieowiz4
i dreamt about the iron man riff a few days before it was written.... sort of

to be honest....
thats not difficult, they all sound the same since '80 hehe! =D
I've dreamed about a riff once, in which I did create it. I still love how I wrote it but I have no idea what key I'm in or what scale I'm basing it off of lmao. Other than that I dream more of my life than guitar (perhaps if I made my life guitar?).
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Quote by thecheat3224
Too many times. I always wake up and forget exactly how the riff goes, though.

dude i am so with you on that one!
Quote by whaip
to be honest....
thats not difficult, they all sound the same since '80 hehe! =D

huh? Iron Man is from the 80s?... Maybe I misunderstood or you might have typed 8 insted of 7.
It happens occasionally.

Sometimes I dream up riffs, sometimes song topics.

Last night I got an idea to write a song about having a nightmare in a coma.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 14, 2010,
all the time and i make myself remember it until i can play again so i can develop the riff
yes, every once in a while. It always happens in the waking stages, when i'm partly awake. It's always a great riff and I never remember it long enough. Happens with lyrics also..
The chorus of one of my songs was taken directly from a dream I had where I was in a classroom, and one of the kids just took out a guitar and broke into song. I mainly remembered the vocal line, and inferred the chords from that and from what I'd remembered. It's funny because I usually have a lot of trouble coming up with vocal melodies, but the one from the dream is probably one of my favorites that I've come up with.

I also sometimes get into these kicks where I am falling asleep, and I just start coming up with music in my head, and it's a lot more complex then what I would usually think up, but I'm always too tired to get up and figure any of it out
Last edited by guywithguitar at Aug 14, 2010,
Sometimes, yes. More often though, I start coming up with ideas, usually lyrical, as I'm drifting of and have jump out of bed and find a piece of paper and pen before I lose it.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 15, 2010,
Usually when I'm falling asleep, I'll get some bizarre ideas which gradually develop themselves. What I do now is keep a notepad and pen beside my bed, close enough so I don't have to move too much, and jot down the movement of the melodies, or try notating the rhythms and placing the accents (more graphic notation). I try not to move too much because I worry that if I get out of the relaxed state, the piece will just disappear So I'll lay there, do the graphic notation, and get up once the ''dream-sleep'' is over, and rush to the guitar to work it out.

The same thing happens when I'm actually asleep, but I rarely remember anything; I'll usually see the tabs/notation for the full ensemble and the lines will be ridiculously complex but still musical, but I never remember it. =\
This is how Duane Allman wrote Little Martha. In a dream Jimi Hendrix, after he had passed, showed him how to play a song, using a faucet on a sink as a fretboard. When Duane woke up he played Little Martha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1PiHsS8LP8

For me, I write some of my best lyrics as I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep. When I'm like half asleep great lines or melodies will come to.
The other night a came up with this little lick, but was way too lazy to get up and play it.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
I kind of have in that I'm most creative late at night and early in the morning when I'm really groggy.

Does that happen to anyone else?

It's kind of annoying 'cause once I'm fully conscious, I lose the flow of whatever I was playing, can't think of a way that fits into the melody of finishing it. Basically, I have a hard time making full instrumentals