So basically its my sister's birthday soon, shes going to be 15 and she's a complete beginner (and i'm not). Shes leaning towards an acoustic guitar, but i say that a classical will advance her better. Which should she choose?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
acoustic(steelstring) would be more diverse than a classical guitar and would be better for playing more popular music the classical guitar isnt as suited for that kind of music as the acoustic guitar although the nylon strings on the classical would be easier on her fingers
also its her birthday get her what she wants but warn her that it will hurt
Last edited by supersac at Aug 14, 2010,
If you're not playing classical guitar music, there's seriously no point at all in getting a classical guitar. Especially when we're talking about a 15 year old girl who probably has relatively small hands.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 14, 2010,
Steel strung Acoustic.

They sound better for the kind of stuff she'll most likely be playing, and the higher string tension and harder steel strings will "break in" her fingers faster to build up callouses.

Why would a classical advance her any better than an acoustic.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Joeval
Steel strung Acoustic.

They sound better for the kind of stuff she'll most likely be playing, and the higher string tension and harder steel strings will "break in" her fingers faster to build up callouses.

Why would a classical advance her any better than an acoustic.

Fingerstyle, thats why.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
Fingerstyle, thats why.

Bad idea. Way too many people in this world start guitar on a nylon classical and give up out of frustration because the things are so dang hard to play.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by adj209
Fingerstyle, thats why.

I play fingerstyle all the time on my acoustic. No problems whatsoever.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Many fingerstylists like the wide necks of classical guitars. Many steel-string guitars made for fingerstyle playing have wider-than-standard necks for this purpose as well.
However, as Joeval notes, many people have no difficulty at all playing fingerstyle on very standard steel-string guitars.
I would recommend the steel string as well, if only for it's versatility. The best thing is to have the instrument set up properly from the beginning; this will eliminate a lot of the frustration the beginner often experiences with an instrument delivered with too-high an action from the factory.
Although it's perfectly possible to use a classic guitar for all sorts of playing (look at Willie Nelson...) they are designed and intended for a specific purpose.
I'll plug the nylon. It's a more versatile instrument by a long margin, suits music from baroque to romantic to the avante gard and serial music, from flamenco to calypso, solo performance to accompaniment. Hands down winner in respect to widest range of style in its repertoire.

But ultimately its up to her, her choice.

edited for typo
Last edited by R.Christie at Aug 15, 2010,