i'm trying to play the enter sandman solo but i'm not really that good with the wah pedal. any advice?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Uhh... Know when to use the wah.. anyways Enter Sandman's solo is all messy, its not really easy to pick up.
I'll be happy to give more pointers if you ask a more specific question, but here's my advice for now:

Practise controlling when you open and close the wah as you play. My problem when I first got a wah was that I naturally wanted to open and close the wah about as fast as I was picking. When you're doing a Kirk Hammet shred, that's going to cause problems. At that point, all you'll hear basically is the noise of the pedal. So work on gradually opening and closing the wah every bar or two, depending on the tempo of the song. For Enter Sandman, I'd say probably every bar.

Try to think of a wah pedal as a way to cover up your mistakes when it comes to playing Metallica-style stuff. That's basically what Hammet uses it for.
Haha that's true!

I do it this way: When I want to accent a note, I kick in the wah. That's how it generally works. You can make thousands of crazy sounds with a wah, so yeah.... just play around with it a lot
Yeah
is the wah more effective on a tube amp rather than my line 6? just wondering

@stwstl5926 do you mean open on one bar and close on the next or do it all in one bar?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
is the wah more effective on a tube amp rather than my line 6? just wondering

@stwstl5926 do you mean open on one bar and close on the next or do it all in one bar?

To answer the first question, it really depends on the type of wah and what exactly you're looking to hear. If you're looking for a Hammet-esque tone, you probably want a nice tube amp.

As for the other question, I meant the full motion within the bar, but use your ear too. For example, at the very beginning of the solo, those opening notes should each be nice wah swells, then you get into the meat of the solo. But yeah, if you don't know where the open and close points are, just do the motion once per bar. As you practice, you'll start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't when you do that.

And don't disregard the other comment about using the wah to accent certain notes. That can produce a great effect in a solo that would otherwise be boring.