What are they for? Does adjusting them affect the guitar in any way? ( I realigned mine ages ago out of sheer OCD)
Haha yeah you can't just put them into a straight line. The position of those saddles affects how well the string stays in tune up the neck. I'm guessing if you just put them in a straight line then your intonation, or tuning up the neck, is waaaayyy out of whack.

The note of every string when played open, or un-fretted, should be exactly the same note of that string when you are fretting it at the 12th fret. If it is not, you move those saddles either back or forward, depending on whether or not the 12th fret note is sharp or flat.
it shortens and lengthens each individual string in relation to the nut.

some strings need to be longer or shorter than others.

like said, to check that your guitar is still remotely in tune along the board,
you'll want to tune the open string, then
check the tuning at the 12th fret.

if the tunings don't match, you'll want to ease each saddle forward or back until they do.

click the green link in my sig, look at the first post for specific details.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jwd724
What are they for? Does adjusting them affect the guitar in any way? ( I realigned mine ages ago out of sheer OCD)

Learning to intonate a guitar should be the next thing on your To Do list. No sarcasm intended! It's a critical part of set up, and not hard to do. If you've already been adjusting the saddles, you are half way there (since you have the mechanics down hehehe) and just need to learn what position to adjust them to.