Ok so here's the scoop. I want to build this guitar:

I am going to purchase a Dinky with all of of the parts detached, except the neck, for $45 from a guy.I just have to wire it all in. I don't know the model, though. I'm going to paint it white and route out for a FR. That way I can put one there.

Now I have 2 options: I can put LEDs in the fretboard instead of the inlay dots or I can buy a new neck and cut out the headstock above (Schecter Devil). The new neck would look like this:

The body is HH routed with 1 volume one tone, I believe. All I have to go on is a crappy cell pic.

I can also get an EMG 81/85 setup for cheap, too. I don't know what kind of pickups I'm getting.

Sound good? Opinions, comments, and ideas below. You know the drill.

SavageSyn
Zach

NOTE: The image is old and doesn't exactly represent the finished product, i.e. the bird design will be gone, there will only be two knobs, and the neck and headstock may change.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
the gold on white's pretty classy, but I really don't like the schecter headstock shape..

and I'm not too sure about the LED inlays vs the vine/tree one.. I'd probably go with the leds personally..it'd be pretty cool if you pull it off cleanly
Okay so I have decided to go with the LED's because I just think they are awesome. Does anyone have any experience with installing LED's into a fretboard and would be awesome enough to explain how? I'm thinking that either I could remove the fretboard and then drill the holes and install the LED's, then stick all the wires in with the truss rod. Or just drill through the back of the neck and hope I don't f**k up the truss rod. Which way works better?

EDIT: I am also going to leave the Jackson headstock. I don't want to spend anymore money or time than I have to, as I want this done by Christmas.

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Last edited by SavageSyn at Aug 21, 2010,
Well it's been a few (too many) months since I last posted. XD But I have good news! In that time frame I have got a lot done....no wait...I have absolutely sh!t to show for it. The only progress that I have is that I got a job to get money to pay for it, then lost my job, then got a new one, and changed my plans for the Beastess.

So I'm scratching the old plans and starting over.

I'm still going to be getting the Jackson Dinky from my friend with all of the electronics detached. My next step will be to wire it all back together, followed by playing the crap out of it.

But the Beastess is too close to my heart to be a rebuild. I want this build to be a complete build. Here are the specs that I want:

Shape: Schecter Avenger
Headstock: Schecter Devil
Wood: Mahogony
Color: Deep Red
Neck: Maple
Figerboard: Rosewood
Hardware: Black
Bridge: Floyd Rose
Tuners: Grover
Inlays: LEDs
Pickups: Undecided (HH)

I know that the shape resembles the Syn custom from Schecter (Same body and headstock), but I really liked that combination more than any other from any company.

Now I am willing to settle on a few of the items due to cost and availability. And these plans are subject to change slightly but this is what I have decided that I want. I know the LEDs will be hard to pull off but it will be so worth it. Also, I know I want two Hums but I don't know exactly what ones yet. I'm leaning towards EMG actives, but those are still up in the air. I will need lots of help from the GB&C community on this one.

Now be advised that this build will be progressing horribly slowly because I am still in high school and work full-time. So until I graduate in may, I won't be able to get a whole lot accomplished.

Let the commenting and questioning commence. Me love you long time and I love that shirt that you are wearing! It goes great with those pants!

Cheers

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Give up on the LEDs. There's a thread in here every week about putting LEDs in a fretboard and nobody ever does it because there's no way to do it without totally gutting the neck. If you have someone do it, it will be absurdly expensive (and they'll probably have to make the neck from scratch). If you try to do it yourself you will realize what an awful idea it is and quit.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but it's not going to happen. Concentrate on making a good guitar, not making it blinky.
Quote by salgala2000
Well first of all, if the body came with a TOM before your going to need to change the neck pocket for your action to be decent with a FR.

Just to clarify, I plan on building this one from scratch and not using any parts from the Jackson as I had previously thought about.

Quote by Roc8995
Give up on the LEDs. There's a thread in here every week about putting LEDs in a fretboard and nobody ever does it because there's no way to do it without totally gutting the neck. If you have someone do it, it will be absurdly expensive (and they'll probably have to make the neck from scratch). If you try to do it yourself you will realize what an awful idea it is and quit. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but it's not going to happen. Concentrate on making a good guitar, not making it blinky.

Since I am going to be building the whole thing from scratch I should be able to build the neck and fingerboard to support the LEDs without it being as much of a pain as trying to put them into a pre-existing neck. Right?

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Didn't know you were going to build your own neck. Yes, that will be easier, though certainly not simple.