hey,
m buying a new guitar, the PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt!
one of the reasons for buying a new guitar is that i just can't stand the floating trem on my ibanez (rg370dx)!
i like experimenting with different tunings n it's just a pain!

but the PRS has a floating trem too right??
so will it have the same problem (hours and hours to tune, change tunings, etc)
:|

but i like using the trem a little!

so my question is : is the trem-system PRS SE Akerfeldt (or PRS SE Singlecut Trem) similar to the edgeIII or floyd rose??
is changing the tuning a pain in the butt ?!
cheers
As with most trems changing tunings just does´nt work without readjusting the springs and retuning your guitar and yes it is similar to the Ibanez trem. If you plan on doing this alot you should consider a fixed bridge instead of blocking the trem like alot of idiots suggest. Oh and btw nice choice by picking that prs, it´s a pretty nice guitar.
Last edited by sstony at Aug 14, 2010,
It's not a floyd rose. It's similar to a Fender tremolo. It's wayyyyy easier to change tunings but it's not like a fixed bridge.

Why not get a guitar with a fixed bridge?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
It's not a floyd rose. It's similar to a Fender tremolo. It's wayyyyy easier to change tunings but it's not like a fixed bridge.

Why not get a guitar with a fixed bridge?

Sorry but it´s nothing like a fender trem, this one floats like a floyd.
no locking tuners on this guitar.. your thoughts on that??
as in, that would make tuning a whole lot easier right??
Quote by sstony
Sorry but it´s nothing like a fender trem, this one floats like a floyd.

Sorry idiot, it's actually similar to a fender trem than it is to a floyd if you actually looked at the damn guitar some common sense might help you deduce that one.

I call you an idiot since apparently I'm an idiot for blocking my floyd.

TS, You won't have any of the problems you experience with your RG. My friend has the Paul Allender SE and another has another SE both with that trem. They both change tunings a lot with no problems. If anything I'd suggest locking tuners, just for a bit more stability.
Quote by ArSeNiK
no locking tuners on this guitar.. your thoughts on that??
as in, that would make tuning a whole lot easier right??

Changing the tuning will require readjustment of the springs and possibly the neck relif unless you only drop D it then that should´nt be a problem, but if you are changing tunings alot then a set up of your guitar is needed, like the neck and balancing of the trem.
Quote by siverstorm
Sorry idiot, it's actually similar to a fender trem than it is to a floyd if you actually looked at the damn guitar some common sense might help you deduce that one.

I call you an idiot since apparently I'm an idiot for blocking my floyd.

TS, You won't have any of the problems you experience with your RG. My friend has the Paul Allender SE and another has another SE both with that trem. They both change tunings a lot with no problems. If anything I'd suggest locking tuners, just for a bit more stability.

You obviously no nothing about PRS, I on the other hand test these guitars professionally, You blocked your trem because you have´nt a clue as how to set it up.
Quote by sstony
You obviously no nothing about PRS, I on the other hand test these guitars professionally, You blocked your trem because you have´nt a clue as how to set it up.

Right, I've seen my friends tune down to at least Drop C# on their PRS trems with just little fret buzz. Going from standard to anything lower would obviously need to be reset. I think at Drop C the bridge started to shift a bit. Also just a quick search every other forum has said that the PRS trem is like a Fender style more.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284975&page=1&pp=20
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=7526
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginner-central/94075-explain-prs-tremolo-to-me.html

I mean of course, all these people MUST be wrong since you think otherwise.

And, no I blocked it because I hate taking over 30 minutes to re-set it up when I change my tunings. Especially since I don't use the trem anyway. It must surprise you that people think like that. I mean how many people in their right mind have to block their trems, they must ALL be retarded. You're really good at being close minded.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by siverstorm
Right, I've seen my friends tune down to at least Drop C# on their PRS trems with just little fret buzz. Going from standard to anything lower would obviously need to be reset. I think at Drop C the bridge started to lift a bit. Also just a quick search every other forum has said that the PRS trem is like a Fender style more.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284975&page=1&pp=20
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=7526
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginner-central/94075-explain-prs-tremolo-to-me.html

I mean of course, all these people MUST be wrong since you think otherwise.

And, no I blocked it because I hate taking over 30 minutes to re-set it up when I change my tunings. Especially since I don't use the trem anyway. It must surprise you that people think like that. I mean how many people in their right mind have to block their trems, they must ALL be retarded. You're really good at being close minded.

It´s ok, you keep watching your friends and maybe you´ll learn something along the way.
PRS trems are really nothing like a floyd at all. I can change strings on my PRS's in about 5 minutes. You can take off all the strings and restring it, tune and and your good to go. Try that with a Floyd. Crazy heavy strings and downtunings will of course require adjustments, but going up a guage or down a half step or something is no big deal at all.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
seeing as how a prs trem is a direct drop in replacement for a strat, i would have to say it's more like that trem than any other.

Jack at PRS told me that so anyone looking to debate that can just call PRS on monday.

also, eric clapton blocks his trem, on a strat. the "block" has an actual fender part number.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 14, 2010,
The PRS trem is nothing like a Floyd. A floyd floats on two studs and knife edges. As Gregg said a PRS trem is basically an improved vintage type Strat bridge. Yes it floats as does a Strat bridge if you set it up that way, but it pivots on 6 screws at the front of the trem just as a Strat trem does.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500