So Yesterday i posted a what guitar thread and i got recommendations of a Guitar with Classic 5 and Jazz and i found it!! Its also 200 dollars off.

i'm looking at these 2 guitars.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H401FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=430950

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-PB401FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=430951&rec=product_sim_A

Bascilly I want to know if this is the best i can do for 600$

I play a lot of metal but my band is primarly focusing on more indie rock. Things like The mars volta, Queen of the stone age, Radiohead(heavier though). Although my band is focused on that i LOVE metal so i need good metal pickups. Right now i'm not happy with my lead tone. Its not my amp... because my other guitar could do it but now my new one cant. My lead tone doesn't sound thick and fludiy like i would it too.
Solos like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5S6KLC2kV8 solo at 2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsF9ntWIZY solo at 1:50

While i was recording i picked up Marcos's ( the guy recording us) guitar and it was a hollow body and the lead was exactly what i was looking for. i will be going there again on monday and i'll try to get a recording of the guitar.

now spec i would prefer That the guitars i posted may or may not have.

Thin neck (Teles necks and strat necks, not thickness but rather how long it is from the 6th string to the 1st string) The neck & pickups are my main concern right now.

i would prefer no active pickups. I would like a nice thick & tight rhythm tone (more bassy than trebley ), Now this would be my bridge pickup doing this thing. I would like my neck pickup to have that solo tone i'm looking for ( songs posted above ). I would like nice cleans, like RHCP, Jimi hendrix. Obivously i know i wont have that kind of cleans with a Humbucker but i want to get close. I would like a split coil function on my guitar, also i would like HH configuration.

Now if i'm unhappy with my lead tone i was thinking maybe switching the pickups on my current guitar would help. My guitar is a HSS config and i'm fine with my bridge pup, but its a bit trebely for my taste (i could just turn up the bass on my amp). So is there a single coil pickup that can achieve that kind of solo tone while also having the single coil clean?

Now i would prefer changing pickups rather than buying a hole new guitar, becasue the guitar i currently have, has the best neck i could possibly want, but the sound i get and the freaking fret buzz is killing me. Now that i think about it i think i would rather sell this and buy a whole new guitar. I completely forgot about the fret buzz.

This guitar would be for Home/gig/recording. Also i dont mind going used.
so sorry about the long writing. Ask me if you need to know more.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 14, 2010,
anybody???
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Aashraya

Thin neck (Teles necks and strat necks, not thickness but rather how long it is from the 6th string to the 1st string) The neck & pickups are my main concern right now.
That isn't neck thickness, that's neck width that you're talking about; specifically you're going to want to pay attention to nut width. Those ESP/LTD guitars have wider nuts than Telecasters, so if that's the feel you want then the LTDs won't feel right for you. Frankly, very, very few companies make necks nuts as thin as Fender Telecasters. If that's the feel you want, you need to buy a Telecaster.

i would prefer no active pickups. I would like a nice thick & tight rhythm tone (more bassy than trebley ), Now this would be my bridge pickup doing this thing. I would like my neck pickup to have that solo tone i'm looking for ( songs posted above ). I would like nice cleans, like RHCP, Jimi hendrix. Obivously i know i wont have that kind of cleans with a Humbucker but i want to get close. I would like a split coil function on my guitar, also i would like HH configuration.
Then for the bridge pickup, you're going to want something like a SD Custom, or possibly something like a DiMarzio Steve's Special depending on the woods of the guitar you end up with. For the neck, you'll most likely want something with a little more grunt than the Jazz model; an SD Full Shred or DiMarzio LiquiFire would nail those solo tones.
You face several problems though: pickups which can do those kinds of solo tones can't also do anything close to RHCP or Hendrix clean tones. No, not even with a coil split function. Also, to get those kinds of solo tones (the BFMV one in particular), you need a dedicated naturally high-gain amp which isn't going to be suitable for much softer. Frankly, the only way to really get both tones in one guitar and amp would be to go for a fully processed, fully active system; but you've said you don't want that. So sticking to a standard amp and passive pickups, you need to decide which kind of tone is more important to you, or you need to start thinking about getting more than one guitar. No matter how many coil split, phase, series/parallel and other switches you put on a guitar, you'll never get that wide rnage of tones with one guitar and a typical amp.

Now if i'm unhappy with my lead tone i was thinking maybe switching the pickups on my current guitar would help. My guitar is a HSS config and i'm fine with my bridge pup, but its a bit trebely for my taste (i could just turn up the bass on my amp).
Turning up the bass on your amp past what is suitable for the size of the room you're in will just lead to booming mud. It also does not thicken up the tone of your guitar.

So is there a single coil pickup that can achieve that kind of solo tone while also having the single coil clean?
Not really, you've always got to compromise somewhere. The closest you could get would be an active single coil pickup with an SPC or other midboost system. Failing that, an SD Cool Rails with an aggressively warm tone control and a series/parallel switch with an active midboost system.

Frankly, before you go any further, you need to sort out your priorities. You're asking for a passive, traditional-feeling guitar that does everything, and that simply does not exist. You need to work out which tones are more important for you and go for those.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
That isn't neck thickness, that's neck width that you're talking about; specifically you're going to want to pay attention to nut width. Those ESP/LTD guitars have wider nuts than Telecasters, so if that's the feel you want then the LTDs won't feel right for you. Frankly, very, very few companies make necks nuts as thin as Fender Telecasters. If that's the feel you want, you need to buy a Telecaster.

Then for the bridge pickup, you're going to want something like a SD Custom, or possibly something like a DiMarzio Steve's Special depending on the woods of the guitar you end up with. For the neck, you'll most likely want something with a little more grunt than the Jazz model; an SD Full Shred or DiMarzio LiquiFire would nail those solo tones.
You face several problems though: pickups which can do those kinds of solo tones can't also do anything close to RHCP or Hendrix clean tones. No, not even with a coil split function. Also, to get those kinds of solo tones (the BFMV one in particular), you need a dedicated naturally high-gain amp which isn't going to be suitable for much softer. Frankly, the only way to really get both tones in one guitar and amp would be to go for a fully processed, fully active system; but you've said you don't want that. So sticking to a standard amp and passive pickups, you need to decide which kind of tone is more important to you, or you need to start thinking about getting more than one guitar. No matter how many coil split, phase, series/parallel and other switches you put on a guitar, you'll never get that wide rnage of tones with one guitar and a typical amp.

Turning up the bass on your amp past what is suitable for the size of the room you're in will just lead to booming mud. It also does not thicken up the tone of your guitar.

Not really, you've always got to compromise somewhere. The closest you could get would be an active single coil pickup with an SPC or other midboost system. Failing that, an SD Cool Rails with an aggressively warm tone control and a series/parallel switch with an active midboost system.

Frankly, before you go any further, you need to sort out your priorities. You're asking for a passive, traditional-feeling guitar that does everything, and that simply does not exist. You need to work out which tones are more important for you and go for those.

ah okay. yea i felt like i was asking a lot but who knows their might be something?

Well i'm not totally against active pickups, i just dont want to mess around with the battery thing, but if actives would help i'll gladly get actives. Hmm well if its that case how does BFMV get that clean on hearts burst into fire? Becasue they use 6505 and Roadking with very metal orientated guitars. Is it possible to get that type of cleans in my situation?

The RHCP and Jimi hendrix stuff is mostly in home playing but i need to be able to have at least decent cleans for live playing. Becasue i cant switch guitars in a middle of a song.

And about the neck. I guess it doesn't have to be the excat same size. I will definitely try the guitar before i buy so i mean i just want some example that are guitars in the ball park.

Thanks for the info you have given so far.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya

Well i'm not totally against active pickups, i just dont want to mess around with the battery thing, but if actives would help i'll gladly get actives.
Actives arne't any more hassle to use than passive pickups, other than you have to pay much closer attention to your amp's EQ section. Active pickups can sound great if you know what you're doing with them, or they will sound awful if you're clueless. The main thing they offer is versatility, since they have such even and wide response. But yeah, you do need to know what you're doing with them.

Hmm well if its that case how does BFMV get that clean on hearts burst into fire? Becasue they use 6505 and Roadking with very metal orientated guitars. Is it possible to get that type of cleans in my situation?
It's a pretty processed tone, with quite a lot of chorus and reverb masking the original guitar's tone. Also, what people use in studio recordings is not necessarily what they use live or in music videos. You could certainly get that sort of tone with a metal-orientated amp and guitar, but you're going to want a high-quality (and therefore expensive) effects processor to boot. Even then, there is a massive difference between the kinds of clena tones that metal bands use and the simple clean tones used by people like Hendrix and Frusciante. Again, it's something you need to think about and pick one over the other.

The RHCP and Jimi hendrix stuff is mostly in home playing but i need to be able to have at least decent cleans for live playing. Becasue i cant switch guitars in a middle of a song.
Then don't worry so much about getting specific tones. Live, most people can't tell the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson or straight clean tones vs just processed clean tones. From the sound of it, what you really want is a metal-orientated guitar that has a series/parallel switch for the bridge pickup and a coil split switch for the neck pickup, coupled with a versatile amplifier.
I would really recommend you look for a guitar that has the neck you want, then look into a pickup change. While you're changing pickups, you can install push-pull or push-push pots in place of the reuglar control pots which will allow you to use coil split and series/parallel wiring without having to drill extra holes or look for a guitar which has those as stock features.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actives arne't any more hassle to use than passive pickups, other than you have to pay much closer attention to your amp's EQ section. Active pickups can sound great if you know what you're doing with them, or they will sound awful if you're clueless. The main thing they offer is versatility, since they have such even and wide response. But yeah, you do need to know what you're doing with them.

It's a pretty processed tone, with quite a lot of chorus and reverb masking the original guitar's tone. Also, what people use in studio recordings is not necessarily what they use live or in music videos. You could certainly get that sort of tone with a metal-orientated amp and guitar, but you're going to want a high-quality (and therefore expensive) effects processor to boot. Even then, there is a massive difference between the kinds of clena tones that metal bands use and the simple clean tones used by people like Hendrix and Frusciante. Again, it's something you need to think about and pick one over the other.

Then don't worry so much about getting specific tones. Live, most people can't tell the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson or straight clean tones vs just processed clean tones. From the sound of it, what you really want is a metal-orientated guitar that has a series/parallel switch for the bridge pickup and a coil split switch for the neck pickup, coupled with a versatile amplifier.
I would really recommend you look for a guitar that has the neck you want, then look into a pickup change. While you're changing pickups, you can install push-pull or push-push pots in place of the reuglar control pots which will allow you to use coil split and series/parallel wiring without having to drill extra holes or look for a guitar which has those as stock features.

Alright man thanks! I think what i'll do is find a guitar that is nice feel an than adjust the pickups or w.e. Just start customizing the crap out of it. Well i'm getting a 90's triple rec so i mean i dont think it is as versatile as new triple recs but the sound of the 2 channel rec is amazing.

oh and what are things i should know about active pickup( in the case of eqing them)? Also any guitar recommendations? that are easy to customize. I really dont want to spend 600$ on a guitar ant 600+ on customizing.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit