I'm about to buy some music online, and it can be bought in either FLAC or MP3 format. FLAC is a far higher quality recording, but I don't have any software to play it, and I can't put it on my iPod. Does any body know where I can download (free) software to convert the FLAC files into something that I can play and put on my iPod (preferably not MP3).

Many thanks.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
FLAC is a compressed file, so it can be stored but not played. Convert it to WAV for lossless audio bliss.

I use Trader's Little Helper http://tlh.easytree.org/ but there's bunches of programs.

what?

unless my windows media player and Foobar decompress it on the fly, I'd say FLAC is playable.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what?

unless my windows media player and Foobar decompress it on the fly, I'd say FLAC is playable.

My bad. You are correct

As Lemon linked, DBPoweramp is the best. I use it to convert all my FLAC files and I use WinAmp to play them on the computer.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by opc100
www.lmgtfy.c... No. Do it yourself.

I did google it, all I got was really dodgy websites I didn't feel safe downloading from...

Thanks to every one else though
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what?

of course it decompresses it on the fly, that's how all compressed music files work. It doesn't save the decompressed file though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
i use "format factory", silly name and the layout is worse, but it gets the job done, google it
To see him obviously framed.
Couldnt help but make me feel ashamed.
To live in a land, where justice is a game.
Quote by robhc
I did google it, all I got was really dodgy websites I didn't feel safe downloading from...

Thanks to every one else though

lrn2google
Sorry for being a dick, I'm in a bad mood.
hello
Quote by ThatGuy177
I use a program called Max to convert flac to 320 kbps mp3. It's for mac though.

But that's converting it to a worse quality... I swear FLAC is like 500 - 700 kbps.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what?

Rarely are they decompressed on the fly. Normally it's done so before the song plays and stored in your RAM. I know that the Zune software decompresses and deciphers all of the songs in an album before playing them. I don't know whether or not it caches it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by jgbsmith
of course it decompresses it on the fly, that's how all compressed music files work. It doesn't save the decompressed file though.

not really. mp3 just doesn't include sound beyond certain frequencies.

unless you're talking about decompressing a digital file to an analogue soundwave. but then that doesn't really make sense.

maybe I'm wrong. still doesn't change the fact that those files can be played.

Quote by boreamor
But that's converting it to a worse quality... I swear FLAC is like 500 - 700 kbps.

FLAC is more than that. It's usually around the 1000kbps range. But unless you've got an amazing sound system (read: not an ipod) you aren't really going to be able to tell the difference between 320 and FLAC.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
use VLC player to play .flac
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
yeah, VLC player plays everything
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
doesn't ps3mediaserver support flac playback?

you have to have it on your laptop/pc rather than the console but it should work (I think)

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
doesn't ps3mediaserver support flac playback?

you have to have it on your laptop/pc rather than the console but it should work (I think)

w-w-w-w-wait...

I've seen this. But I've been plugging my external hard drive to the PS3. Should i... leave it plugged to the comp perhaps?
If you give me a few minutes I could try it and see if it works.

EDIT: seems to work.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Aug 14, 2010,
foobar plays it and converts it. you might need lame mp3 tho.
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Try download.com or something, they probably have one.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by opc100
www.lmgtfy.c... No. Do it yourself.

That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
Quote by boreamor

Most people in the world can't find a difference between FLAC and a 320 kbps, and you for sure won't with an iPod. I can't even tell the difference between 192 and FLAC.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Just buy the mp3 format, you're going to lose quality converting the FLAC file to an mp3 yourself, might as well save time and cut out the middleman.