Well im planning on getting a new guitar soon, but im not sure what to get. I'm planning to go to guitar shops, and over a course of next few months try out some guitars. I have only 1 guitar right now, a low end ibanez that i bought for $100, and I never played anything else. So im making a list of guitars I should try out, which are in my price range. I'm willing to spend no more than $400.

what are some guitars to try next time I'm at the shop?
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Depends on what sort of music you play. What's your genre?

Either way I'd suggest either a Fender Standard Strat or an Ibanez (do NOT buy a locking trem at that budget) to start off with.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS

Either way I'd suggest either a Fender Standard Strat or an Ibanez (do NOT buy a locking trem at that budget) to start off with.

Well I like a lot of different stuff, anything from mellow acoustic stuff and blues to classic rock, grunge, post rock/metal, all the way up to heavy metal, thrash and death metal.

So i guess im looking for something versatile.

Yes to used

What is a locking trem?
GIT A ScHEcTARR TH3y H4AV TeH CoIL TApZ!1!1!!!1!!one!1!1!1eleven

Like shit. How are we supposed to know when you don't tell us anything but a budget?

Edit:
Quote by Outerspacegrass
Well I like a lot of different stuff, anything from mellow acoustic stuff and blues to classic rock, grunge, post rock/metal, all the way up to heavy metal, thrash and death metal.

So i guess im looking for something versatile.

Yes to used

What is a locking trem?

If you need to ask don't get one. Any guitar that has a bridge that looks like this stay away from:

Some guitars to think about: In order of what I think is best to not the best

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-256-Electric-Guitar-521009-i1426087.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-G-400-Electric-Guitar-104319645-i1371713.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG321MH-Electric-Guitar-512492-i1147796.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-F-100FM-Electric-Guitar-516678-i1149041.gc

Or there's Agile if you want a quality guitar for cheap, though you won't be able to try before buying.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 14, 2010,
I'd look at LTD (ESP sub-brand) and some Epiphone stuff. IS there a specific body shape you're after, or any features?
I will talk about tech-death, all the time.
epiphone les paul? Used fender jaguar or strat. Just get whatever feels right to you. when you pick it up you will know
hss used strat
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Is there a place to learn about the pros and cons of the different tremolo systems?
Quote by Outerspacegrass
Is there a place to learn about the pros and cons of the different tremolo systems?

I'm sure there's something about it floating around here, actually. My advice would be to stay away from them for now, given that you had to ask.

I might as well answer though:
Locking trems basically lock the strings in place at the bridge, allowing for increased tuning stability and the ability to go nuts on a whammy bar without the strings detuning to a great extent.

HOWEVER

Some say that they're difficult to set up and maintain.

PERSONALLY

I've had a locking trem guitar (my S770FM) for a few months now and changed strings once. It was nowhere near as hard as people say it is, but I can imagine the problems that could be encountered whilst changing string gauge and rebalancing the tremolo.

CONCLUSION

I got one mainly because I'm into instrumental guitarists that love using trem-tricks (Satch etc). It's a bit of hassle, but I'd stay away until you start specifically looking for "a guitar with a locking trem".

Correct me if I'm talking crap.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS

Standard strats are running $499 now a days... and a used Jag for under $400???????

I must be living in a different demension then you people cause I have heard people say standards are $350 new and I haven't seen one for that price in about 3 or 4 years. And I think it is stupid to buy a used guitar that cost 500 new unless you are basically stealing it for under 200.

And I have never seen a used Jag for under 6 beans
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 14, 2010,
You cant try them out cause there an online retailer but for $400 you can actually get a great guitar and if you need a new amp or some good pups at rondomusic.com though if you want to stay in the name brand area I would suggest a jackson with a HSS config.
Hard to beat an Agile Les Paul for the range you want it to cover. Look on www.rondomusic.com like the man said.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by jsspang
Standard strats are running $499 now a days.

My apologies, I usually work in £££ so I just did a rough conversion. Looks like a standard strat is off the menu then, how about that Ibby?
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom