Hey Guys,

I've been saving my money for the past year or two and want to upgrade some of my gear.

Currently, I have a Marshall JCM 2000 Head with a standard Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab.
I have a schecter synyster custom, LTD EC-1000, and a Dean Razorback Explosion.

For my pedals I have a Joe Satriani "Satchurator", and through my effects loop I use a Boss Compression Sustainer, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, and an MXR EQ pedal.

Now, right now I'm trying to get a tone like Brian Haner of Avenged Sevenfold. I've been a big fan of his for some time now, and would REALLY like his live tone.(INFINITE sustain, and heavy gain)
Currently HE uses the same Syn Custom that I have BUT with a Sustainiac Stealth Pro pickup in the neck.

I was thinking of getting the pickup, but after going to guitar center today and trying out the Ibanez Prestige RG350Z on a Mesa Boogie Stilleto I'm starting to reconsider...
Did some e minor shredding and my mind was BLOWN, by how awesome the pickups sounded.

Mainly my questions are..

Should I purchase a Sustainiac Stealth Pro from the website, and pay my guitar tech to install it?

Should I buy the Ibanez, and save up for the Stilletto.. Or are there any other amps that I could replace my JCM 2000 Head with? I was looking at the JVM205 from Marshall, But I'd like to branch out from Marshall and try different amps..

Thanks for reading!
People will probably tell you to get the Dual Rec over a Stiletto. As for the guitar... if it feels and sounds good, it is good.

Probably gonna want a new cab too.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
* Marshall JVM205H (for Nightmare)
* Krank Distortus Maximus[1]
* Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
* Boss CS-3 Compresser Sustainer [2]
* Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
* Frantone "The Sweet" Distortion
* Digitech Whammy Pedal
* Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
* Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Fuzz Pedal
* Sustainiac Stealth Pro Sustainer
* Visual Sound H20 Chorus & Echo[3]
* Ernie Ball Wah Pedal[4]

* Bogner Uberschall
* Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
* Mesa Boogie Rectifier
* Marshall JCM 800

* Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cabinets
* Marshall 4x12 Cabinets

thats all of the gear he used.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by CL/\SH
get the Dual Rec over a Stiletto. As for the guitar... if it feels and sounds good, it is good. Probably gonna want a new cab too.

This.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Thanks for the feedback guys...

What about the sustainiac stealth pro? should I get that along with the dual rec?

I also forgot to ask, will the dual rec give me the high gain, and high sustained tone that I'm looking for? (That sounds like syns)...

I know he used to use the JCM 800's and a Bogner head on previous tours..
* Krank Distortus Maximus[1] this too maybe?
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by DropDisforMe
Thanks for the feedback guys...

What about the sustainiac stealth pro? should I get that along with the dual rec?

I also forgot to ask, will the dual rec give me the high gain, and high sustained tone that I'm looking for? (That sounds like syns)...

I know he used to use the JCM 800's and a Bogner head on previous tours..

Check out demos and clips of the JCM 800, the Bogner, and the Dual Rec on the webz and find out which you like more as far as it's voiced.

The sustainic stealth pro may improve your sound, but if I were you, I'd wait until I had decided on a new cab, the new head, and the new guitar before spending more on pups. Pups are definitely factors in shaping your sound, but your amp/cab should be where you want most of said sound, considering they are what actually generate the sound that you hear. You play the guitar, the strings vibrate, the pickups pick up the vibrations and send them to the amp, and the amp makes the sound. So since the amp actually makes the sound you hear, you want that to be your first priority sound wise. A guitar will be more about what you prefer tonally (dark sound, bright sound, etc.) and playability wise.

The pups will help as I said, but not as much as a good amp will help.

EDIT: and to add something, pups are also voiced (kinda) for certain things. Like certain pups will be wound to be more jazz or blues oriented, while others will be wound for metal, prog rock, etc.

2ND EDIT: white bunny also made a good suggestion.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Aug 14, 2010,
A higher-end amp will help you tremendously with getting smooth, singing sustain and a better, more fluid lead tone. Look used of course, and you could find a Mesa Boogie Mark III/IV, Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier, Bogner Uberschall, Splawn Nitro, Peavey JSX, Peavey 6505/5150, Engl Blackmore, Engl Invader, Hughes and Kettner Triamp, VHT/Fryette Deliverance, VHT/Fryette Ultralead, or Marshall JVM410/205. I could go on, but you get the idea. Any of these amps will be in your price range used, and some will be below it, but you just need to try out a bunch of new amps.

Another factor that is affecting your tone is your pedals. They're not awful, but they could use improvement. Get a better compressor; you can splurge on something like a Keeley or Rothwell Compressor, get an MXR Custom/Super/Dyna Comp, or find something else that suits your taste that is better than the boss and doesn't suck tone. Also, compressor in the loop? Put that sucker in front of your dirt rather than behind it. Besides a compressor, an overdrive used to boost your amp will give it some extra sustain and smoothness, and make it sound better overall. Using the pedal as a level boost in front of the amp allows you to overdrive the V1 preamp tube, getting another gain stage out of your amp. Experiment with this and it might yield the tone you're looking for. Also check out some other overdrive pedals. I've never used the Satchurator, so I can't comment on its quality, but you may want to upgrade or get a pedal with a different voicing, such as an Xotic Effects AC Booster or RC Booster.

Next, and I don't know how keen you are to do this, you could sell one, two, or all of your guitars and buy a new one. The Ibanez is nice, but also check out Jackson, PRS CE models, and genuine ESP guitars. Personally, I'd sell all three, but that's just my preference as far as the guitars you own. They're not bad at all, but not astounding either. If you do go for an Ibanez, and you're on more of a budget, pick up an RG1570/1550 and replace the pickups, since you get the same Prestige craftsmanship and build quality at a much lower overall cost. Besides, you can get higher end pickups than Dimarzios, or get similar pickups more tailored to your needs. The possibilities are endless here.

Your cab is similar to your guitars: pretty good, but can be upgraded. Look into Mesa, Orange, Mills Acoustics, Port City, and THD cabs as an upgrade over the Marshall 1960, and you'll be surprised at how much of a difference there is.

Obviously, you won't be able to do all of this on your budget, but you can do one or two of these things and dramatically improve your tone. If you have any more questions, please ask.

EDIT: One thing that you can do for free to change your tone is to try and mess with your amp's EQ. Are you cutting too much bass in favor of perceived tightness? Are you scooping too much mids in favor of a more balanced, easier to play sound when practicing by yourself? Are you adding too much treble and causing your tone to be shrill? Remember, each EQ knob is an attenuator. You can't add bass, mids, or treble to your original signal without an active EQ on your amp or on pedals. Try turning everything to 10 and subtract what you think needs to be out of your tone. Try turning everything to zero, and lower your gain. Add bass to warm up the amp, add treble to give it presence, and add mids until your sound fills out. Make sure your gain isn't adding fizziness. Experiment.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Aug 14, 2010,
Thanks so Much everyone espically Ibz and Clash I appreciate the input!

I'm gonna go back to guitar center tomorrow, thanks again!