So, I have been playing electrics for a few years. I have considered buying a bass to piss around with just for fun, no gigging or anything. I am pretty much unexperienced with bass. So I have been researching and playing around a little at the local store (all my local store has are a few Yamahas, a few squires, a couple peavys and an LTD or 2). So basically I made up my mind NOT to buy from my local store. I am CONSIDERING maybe taking a few hour trip to a GC but I dont know if I really want to.

But basically I grew up understanding that Squires are garbage. But playing a J bass felt pretty nice and I also tried a 60s vibe J bass that I liked.

But basically I want some insite on squires. I have read review after review on numerous sights have nothing but good reviews (well obviously a few bad... but the good far exceed the bad).

I am looking to spend $300 or less on a guitar that is pretty solidly built, but if I get sick of the tone can just switch out the pick ups and it will last me a long time. I do not just want to buy a bass that feels good today and in a month the wood cracks at the neck, the neck warps and the frets start pulling up. Squire appears to me to be my best bet but does anyone else have any good input.
Quote by jsspang
So, I have been playing electrics for a few years. I have considered buying a bass to piss around with just for fun, no gigging or anything. I am pretty much unexperienced with bass. So I have been researching and playing around a little at the local store (all my local store has are a few Yamahas, a few squires, a couple peavys and an LTD or 2). So basically I made up my mind NOT to buy from my local store. I am CONSIDERING maybe taking a few hour trip to a GC but I dont know if I really want to.

But basically I grew up understanding that Squires are garbage. But playing a J bass felt pretty nice and I also tried a 60s vibe J bass that I liked.

But basically I want some insite on squires. I have read review after review on numerous sights have nothing but good reviews (well obviously a few bad... but the good far exceed the bad).

I am looking to spend $300 or less on a guitar that is pretty solidly built, but if I get sick of the tone can just switch out the pick ups and it will last me a long time. I do not just want to buy a bass that feels good today and in a month the wood cracks at the neck, the neck warps and the frets start pulling up. Squire appears to me to be my best bet but does anyone else have any good input.

Rather than buying a Squier J-Bass, buy a J-Bass replica by Agile.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
if your jut looking to mess around with it squire basses are decently made enough you'll be ok with them, for 300$ try looking for a used mexican fender they're much better quality
High-end Squier basses are actually incredibly good and I doubt you'd find a bass as good in the price range
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
So the affinity J basses are pretty much garbage? I also liked the P basses, they had great tone. But to my understanding J's are more versatile and I liked the slimmer neck a little better.
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by jsspang
So the affinity J basses are pretty much garbage? I also liked the P basses, they had great tone. But to my understanding J's are more versatile and I liked the slimmer neck a little better.

The only reason to get a Precision is if you REALLY like the tone. Jazz basses will give you a huge selection of tones, just not the tone of a Precision. Precisions always sound like Precisions nomatter what.
a common misconceptions guitarist usually have is the squire thing. in the guitar world epiphones are where its at and squires are terrible. in the bass world though it is very much the opposite. stay away from affinities and you'll be golden. peavey milleniums and certain yamahas that I can't remember the names of are actually really solid basses, so your local store has a pretty good selection of starter gear.

between P basses and jazz bases. Jazz basses can get 1000 tones for 1000 situations a p-bass gets 1 tone but it still works in 1000 situations. I would personally get the jazz, but thats just how I roll.

also have you put any thought into you're amp? the one you have for your guitar will not work. the best you can do is use head phones and even then you'll still get a crappy tone.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian

also have you put any thought into you're amp? the one you have for your guitar will not work. the best you can do is use head phones and even then you'll still get a crappy tone.

I have found an Acoustic B20, a Fender Rumble 30, peavey max 110, a rocktron rampage 30, or a behringer ultrabass bxl450 that sparked my interest.

The acoustic seems to get great reviews, it is unique from the other because it is 1 12 driven by 20 watts.

The fender because I fender makes great products.

I have heard that peavey makes great inexpensive gear.

Not much is known of Rocktron and I did not find a lot of reviews

And in the guitar world everyone says avoid anything behringer like the plauge, but that seemed to get good reviews and I liked the built in eq it had...

Any thoughts or advice? I do NOT want anything less then 10", but I do not need it to be ultra loud. They are all around $150 - $200 range so yeah im pretty much trying to get set up in the area of $500 all together
Last edited by jsspang at Aug 14, 2010,
Burgery, Agile doesn't make basses. SX makes the replica, and it's only $100 so the quality isn't too great.

But I like Squiers, they're light, affordable, and don't sound half bad.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Goddamn it get the Squier Classic Vibe. That bass is awesome for the price, it kicks ass, so versatile and so many great tones you can get.
I'm only a rookie here with Basses, and I've been playing for just shy of 4 months, so all of the "experts" don't have a huge go.
I bought the Affinity P-Bass and it's certainly a good bit of kit for rookie-intermediates, the sound is pretty good for Classic and Progressive Rock, plus a little alternative, but I haven't experimented that much yet and wouldn't call myself a good bassist yet.
The build quality is sturdy and near indestructible (based on the abuse I've put it through), my only problem being the shoulder strap screw nearest the neck has a habit of coming loose, but that's a 10 second trivial fix.
For someone either wanting to learn or convert, you can't go far wrong. Remember you aren't paying for the best, but what you get is pretty good.
Wow, low price does not equal poor quality, nor does high price mean excellent quality.

Several of us use squier affinities, including myself, never spent over $50 on one, and never had an issue, The only things I upgraded were the pickguard, knobs and strings. Tuners, bridge and pickup were fine. Nothing "Garbage" about it.

SX basses are great quality if you can get past the odd headstock, easily comparable to a CV or VM Squier.

This question gets asked 50 times a week, and these are the general consensus. If you can afford a classic vibe or VM bass it's great, I got a 70's J bass for $60, but I prefer My Affinity Bronco and Affinity P bass.

I'd devote 50-70% of your budget towards your amp. You're best bet is to still have enough left for new strings and maybe a set up.