im getting my first "actual" guitar and i have 1200 to spend, i have a few in mind but havent gotten to play them, just research and reviews.
i want a solid top acoustic-electric that sounds like the sun looks at 630-7 (right as its going down)
nice and warm of deeper rich reds but still some brights of yellow.
this really is the best way i can describe what i want and i need to buy it soon for school so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, trully. thank you.
p.s. the description is for the sound of the acoustic, not look! sorry i didnt specify...
Last edited by buddha:) at Aug 14, 2010,
First..stop trying to be poetic.
Second, if you're wanting to spend $1200, go out and play some guitars.
Quote by Yhdeksas

i dont know why you wrote to me if you werent gonna help, trully i dont. what did you expect me to say to your response?
Well,go try out the ones you eyed,try to try as many guitars as possible,actually.
You could also check out some 12-strings if you're into it.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
i don't know where your going to get a guitar that looks like that without custom designing it online. You can always repaint a guitar, but it's the sound you want. you're focused on the wrong thing
Quote by KlinikaNekros
Well,go try out the ones you eyed,try to try as many guitars as possible,actually.
You could also check out some 12-strings if you're into it.

all the ones that ive eyed have been online because they have what i think would give me the sound that i might like and all the guitar stores have a buncha breedloves, which is fine just doesnt seem to suit what im looking for. i dont know how im suppose to try the ones i might like before i buy them... thank you for you suggestion though.
Try before you buy... Especially when you have that kind of cash to throw around!

I can't offer too much help at that price range, cos I have never tried out many that expensive. Nevertheless.
Have a look at Martin and Taylor, those are two of the big boys. Both sound very nice at that price as well. Different to each other, certainly, but both good.
I would have said Breedlove, but you've shot them down already.
If you can find them, check out Seagull, they're fantastic even at lower prices.

Edit: You may need to travel a bit to get to a decent shop to try these out. Trust me, it'll be worth it. You don't want to buy one online to find it doesn't sound, feel, play right. Nothing worse than dropping a grand on a guitar for it not to be what you were looking for.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by Hibberdijibbit
i don't know where your going to get a guitar that looks like that without custom designing it online. You can always repaint a guitar, but it's the sound you want. you're focused on the wrong thing

the description was towards the sound of the guitar. sorry, i shoulda clarified that... and suggestions on a warm sounding guitar?
Quote by buddha
all the ones that ive eyed have been online because they have what i think would give me the sound that i might like and all the guitar stores have a buncha breedloves, which is fine just doesnt seem to suit what im looking for. i dont know how im suppose to try the ones i might like before i buy them... thank you for you suggestion though.

First of all, your guitar could look like candy coated asshole and still sound better than any guitar made.
Second of all, If youre buying your first "real" guitar, dont look online please. Every single guitar made is different, some of even the same brand and model differ widely and playing a guitar before you buy it is really the only way to buy a guitar.
Third the guitar brand and name dont matter much to the tone of $1200 acoustic, Ive heard some offbrand korean guitars blow away Martins. Find what sounds good to you. And love that guitar.
Quote by buddha

Dude,just go to a musicstore,tell the salesman your budget and start checking out guitars.Don't get a good guitar online with no testing.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
Just going to throw my two cents in. People are going to say go for the one you really really love. I say don't go for the first one you really really love, because at that price range you're probably going to love a lot of them.

Take your time is all I'm trying to say. music shop people aren't going to mind if you come back and play the same one on several occasions.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Yep, head into the shop, tell the staff your budget and what you're looking for. They probably know the stock well enough to give you a hand finding what you need.
Play everything, pick the best.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by buddha
im getting my first "actual" guitar and i have 1200 to spend

If by "my first 'actual' guitar" you mean that you are a beginner and you do not currently know how to play the guitar, I'd suggest you put about $800 of that money back in the bank and buy yourself a nice Seagull Original S6 (or Entourage), or a Yamaha FG730S, or something else reasonably well respected and in the $300-400 range. Because if you don't yet play, you don't really have the knowledge or experience needed to choose the right $1200 guitar for you.

If you keep at it for a year or so, and gain some proficiency, then you can go hunting for your soulmate of a guitar, with the special character and acoustic nuances you desire. But as an absolute beginner, even the finest guitar in the universe is going to sound... well, like it's being played by an absolute beginner.

After you've gained some proficiency, and purchased your $1200 dream guitar, you may well choose to keep your first guitar, since it can be handy to have a less expensive guitar for conditions to which you'd rather not expose your better guitar. But even if you do decide to sell it, you're not going to be out all that much money.

Of course, if I've misinterpreted what "my first 'actual' guitar" signifies, none of the above may prove relevant, and it would be helpful to know what you're currently playing and what you regard as its strengths and shortcomings. I admit, I'm not quite sure how "my first 'actual' guitar" differs from "my first guitar." Are you, perhaps, leaving out the Wii guitar controller, or some toy guitar you had when you were 4 years old, or what?
--
Michael
Quote by 123Michael321
If by "my first 'actual' guitar" you mean that you are a beginner and you do not currently know how to play the guitar, I'd suggest you put about $800 of that money back in the bank and buy yourself a nice Seagull Original S6 (or Entourage), or a Yamaha FG730S, or something else reasonably well respected and in the $300-400 range. Because if you don't yet play, you don't really have the knowledge or experience needed to choose the right $1200 guitar for you.

If you keep at it for a year or so, and gain some proficiency, then you can go hunting for your soulmate of a guitar, with the special character and acoustic nuances you desire. But as an absolute beginner, even the finest guitar in the universe is going to sound... well, like it's being played by an absolute beginner.

After you've gained some proficiency, and purchased your $1200 dream guitar, you may well choose to keep your first guitar, since it can be handy to have a less expensive guitar for conditions to which you'd rather not expose your better guitar. But even if you do decide to sell it, you're not going to be out all that much money.

Of course, if I've misinterpreted what "my first 'actual' guitar" signifies, none of the above may prove relevant, and it would be helpful to know what you're currently playing and what you regard as its strengths and shortcomings. I admit, I'm not quite sure how "my first 'actual' guitar" differs from "my first guitar." Are you, perhaps, leaving out the Wii guitar controller, or some toy guitar you had when you were 4 years old, or what?
--
Michael

ive been playing for around 2 1/2 (give or take) years and now im 'hunting' for thee old 1200$ guitar after sitting on a pretty cheap one since ive started... with that said, any suggestions for a good warm 1200-ish guitar?
Quote by Yhdeksas

!
Quote by buddha
im getting my first "actual" guitar and i have 1200 to spend, i have a few in mind but havent gotten to play them, just research and reviews.
i want a solid top acoustic-electric that sounds like the sun looks at 630-7 (right as its going down)
nice and warm of deeper rich reds but still some brights of yellow.
this really is the best way i can describe what i want and i need to buy it soon for school so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, trully. thank you.
p.s. the description is for the sound of the acoustic, not look! sorry i didnt specify...

If you're gonna' get an acoustic/electric, I'd say go for a Taylor or Martin (more high end) Because if you're gonna get an acoustic/electric, a lot of times the crappier ones come in laminate tops. Find one that's solid. And with acoustic/electrics, stay away from thin-body ones, especially because you'll get a lighter sound unplugged and it'll sound weak.

Or if you really wanna' make sure the sound doesn't suck, you could buy a good sounding acoustic (it probably won't be cutaway) and have some electronics installed. Takamine has some good electronics.

And it sounds like you're talking about a sunburst finish. Your poem thing was pretty cute though lol
Last edited by movingamountain at Aug 16, 2010,
Buddha, walks into a local Guitar Centre and approaches the Johny No Stars at the counter....

Buddha - Hello there. I am looking to buy a nice acoustic guitar.

Johny - Fabulous Sir. What sort of acoustic guitar are you looking for?

Buddha - Well, I want an electro acoustic guitar, that sounds as warm and mellow as the red glow of The Sun, at around 6:30-7pm...right as it is setting, but still retaining the bright yellows of the corona.

Johny No Stars, stares blankly at the man before him. His mind races like a ticking clock, as he tries to contemplate what has just been said...failing miserably. Just as he is about to admit defeat and seek the assistance of his 21 year old, Senior Manager....

Buddha - I have $1200 to spend.

Suddenly, something clicks in Johny's mind. Seeing an opportunity to become Johnny One Star; he leaps in to action, like a crippled Sloth.

Johnny - Well, I have this Dean Acoustic that I think will be perfect for you. And it just happens to be only $1199...with a free set of strings!.

Sorry. I couldn't contain myself.

The first reply you got (although you didn't appreciate it), is pretty bang on.

Most people who haven't abused LSD, can't really contemplate the association between colour and sound. Certainly not in a way that they could recommend a guitar based on it.

I see you have already headed advice to go and try a few guitars and see which one speaks to you the most and I appreciate that you description of the sound you want, is reflective of your deep and emotional personality. Which is cool....but you could have just said "Warm".

As people have said, tone...really is subjective and guitar choice is personal.

But what you will probably be looking for, is something with Mahogany back and sides, with a Cedar top. Cedar ages quicker than spruce and is more mellow to start with. Brightness may have to come from string choice, unless you can find the above with a maple fingerboard...or maple on it somewhere. Bright strings would be Elixirs if you can get on with them.

Get a hard case to protect your new guitar and remember, they can always do a deal.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
$1200? And you've been playing 2 and a half years?
God I would kill for that type of money. I've been playing just over 1 and a half years, and I've literally just bought a £135 guitar this saturday. That's about $211 in dollars. I love my new guitar though, but its my 2nd acoustic electric (I've also got 2 electrics and 2 classicals), all of those I got for free, and they've served me quite well. So put back about $800 and go get yourself a guitar in that price range. If you've been playing about 10 years, and practicing each and every day, then I'd understand you paying that much. My guitar teacher has been playing about 40 years, and he still only pays under £300. But please, do not spend that much on your first 'actual' guitar.
Last edited by Fieryhead at Aug 17, 2010,
buddha, I hope you realize that you can change the warmth/brightness of any acoustic guitar by simply changing the type of strings? The guitar you buy in the store does not need to the same sounding guitar you have a year from now if you change the strings. It's called experimenting. You buy the guitar for it's tone yes, but that tone is changeable. You also buy a guitar for other reasons, such as looks, build quality, availability, price and so on. Do some more homework and see what's out there. And as others have already said, you don't need to spend 1200 on a guitar now when 300-500 will get you one hell of an instrument that will suit you just fine.
Quote by Skeet UK
Buddha, walks into a local Guitar Centre and approaches the Johny No Stars at the counter....

Buddha - Well, I want an electro acoustic guitar, that sounds as warm and mellow as the red glow of The Sun, at around 6:30-7pm...right as it is setting, but still retaining the bright yellows of the corona.

Johny No Stars, stares blankly at the man before him. His mind races like a ticking clock, as he tries to contemplate what has just been said...failing miserably. Just as he is about to admit defeat and seek the assistance of his 21 year old, Senior Manager....

Suddenly, something clicks in Johny's mind. Seeing an opportunity to become Johnny One Star; he leaps in to action, like a crippled Sloth.

Johnny - Well, I have this Dean Acoustic that I think will be perfect for you. And it just happens to be only $1199...with a free set of strings!.

Sorry. I couldn't contain myself.

LOL.
Quote by Skeet UK

I think that I should sig that. xD

Buddha, you should look for Walden Guitars, they're great for the price. Yesterday I tried a D350CE (laminated) and sounded great. Their solidtop guitars are amazing too. Also, check the sticky at the top for suggestions about acoustic guitars.
Hola.
You're money buy as you wish, each person will have there desired choice.
Sure if you can spend that amount in someones store they will let you try every guitar in stock and with that amount to spend you are one of the lucky few.
Quote by Fieryhead
$1200? And you've been playing 2 and a half years?... ...But please, do not spend that much on your first 'actual' guitar.

Don't judge the man. $1200 to pursue a life-long hobby isn't exactly breaking the bank.

TS, that amount puts you in the range with some of Blueridge Guitars' nicer instruments. They get my vote. See if you can find some to try out.