Guys! I ****ING hate Schaller! I was just playing my Les Paul custom and the strap lock flew off and the guitar hit the ground. I'm so lucky that the only thing that happened was that the jack fell inside the body. I will never buy these strap locks again. What should I get next? I'm going to change them on all of my really expesnive guitars. So, what should I get? What can you reccomend?
Ernie Ball ones are pretty good
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I love my dunlop straplocks
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
They won't break?

I used to use them on my Gibson flying v and they were pretty tough
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Schallers are generally regarded as the best. I've used them for about 10 years with no issue, and the other guitarists I gig with almost all do as well.

It sounds like you didn't actually snap the lock into place, you just rested it in. obviously I'm not positive, but that sure sounds like the issue. Either way, what were you doing that the strap coming off made it hit the floor? I've played guitars without strap locks that have fallen, and it's pretty easy not to drop it. Unless you're trying to do spins
Quote by josephde
Schallers are generally regarded as the best. I've used them for about 10 years with no issue, and the other guitarists I gig with almost all do as well.

It sounds like you didn't actually snap the lock into place, you just rested it in. obviously I'm not positive, but that sure sounds like the issue. Either way, what were you doing that the strap coming off made it hit the floor? I've played guitars without strap locks that have fallen, and it's pretty easy not to drop it. Unless you're trying to do spins

I've been using them for the past 7 years... I'm sure that it was locked in. And I play with friends. We run around all over the place and sh*t.
Quote by scaryfried
maybe you didn't screw them in far enough? It's pretty much impossible for strap locks to just 'fall off' if you do them properly.

I should of taken a video... You guys would understand more.
Well... as far as other serious options, you're looking at dunlop. But IMO they just don't feel anywhere near as secure. Not that I've ever had (or heard of) an issue with them
Why use strap locks? Go to a hardware store, buy some rubber washers and put them on over the strap. Same effect, but much less costly. That's what I do, and I've never had my guitar fall...
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
I use shallers on all my guitars and have never had an issue. Sorry to hear your custom hit the floor. The plastic output jack retainer saved you, that's a cheap fix. (i've seen that before).

dunlop would be my next choice.

but i can't see having a problem with shallers. i make sure they are secure each time as part of my setting up ritual.

maybe flinging a $3800 guitar around isn't a good idea?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by josephde

^this
I've been gigging with schallers for the best part of 5 years, never had a misshap with them? maybe you were just unlucky?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I use the dunlop ones and they've been all but bulletproof for the time I've used them (2 years+).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I did this, comfortable, a bit 'clicky' but ive swung my guitar around in a hoola hoop motion without anything happening.

step 1 : remove strap locks and buttons.

step 2: find one of these in a thicker thread size, and ram it into the strap button hole and make sure that its so tight that nothing can rip it out, NOTHING

step 3: poke a hole in a nice strong lad of a strap and ram one of these through that hole.

step 4: clip 'er up and its a beaut.

edit: after you take out the strap button rama' lodge a toothpick in there and snap it off for an easy 'tightness maximizer'
Last edited by MattBR at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by MattBR
I did this, comfortable, a bit 'clicky' but ive swung my guitar around in a hoola hoop motion without anything happening.

step 1 : remove strap locks and buttons.

step 2: find one of these in a thicker thread size, and ram it into the strap button hole and make sure that its so tight that nothing can rip it out, NOTHING

step 3: poke a hole in a nice strong lad of a strap and ram one of these through that hole.

step 4: clip 'er up and its a beaut.

edit: after you take out the strap button rama' lodge a toothpick in there and snap it off for an easy 'tightness maximizer'

I'm going to try this on a beat up Squire...
What the hell were you doing that the Schallers failed?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Don't know about the other brands, but the dunlops work MUCH better if you keep them clean and lightly oiled.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
I'm going to try this on a beat up Squire...

it wont fail, you can do the mad tricks with it
Is everyone here so elitist that they beleive it's impossible for schallers to be faulty? I've never had one fail on me but it's not impossible to happen.
Quote by scaryfried
Is everyone here so elitist that they beleive it's impossible for schallers to be faulty? I've never had one fail on me but it's not impossible to happen.

i think someone needs to look up the definition of "elitist"

and nobodys saying they cant be faulty, we're saying that by the description given, user error seems about 10000000000x more likely.
^ The whole point of Schallers is that if the locking mechanism fails, the cradle still keeps the guitar from falling, which is the whole point of having Schallers over something like Dunlop.

I'm convinced he either installed them on the strap improperly and they came apart, or he didn't get the screw into the body enough and it wriggled free.

In either case I'm more willing to bet it's his fault, not the locks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I'm convinced he either installed them on the strap improperly and they came apart, or he didn't get the screw into the body enough and it wriggled free.

the first time i installed them they were upside down on the strap. so the U was facing down. then i thought, "hello stupid!" and turned them the obvious (well after a thought) way they should be.

i'm with you, i bet the strap end was upside down.

still it hurts to think of a custom hitting the ground though.
Quote by josephde
i think someone needs to look up the definition of "elitist"

and nobodys saying they cant be faulty, we're saying that by the description given, user error seems about 10000000000x more likely.

I know the definition of elitist, and I meant it in that context. I'm not starting an argument anyway, just saying that it is possible for the Schallers to fail. Some bands require energy on stage (hopefully this energy isn't contrived, though...) and flinging a guitar around may just be something they do.

It's possible that the locking mechanism failed and it came loose during some rok mov3s. But more likely something went wrong during installation.

To the TS, did the strap button fall off, or did it just lose connection?
Quote by YDG?
Why use strap locks? Go to a hardware store, buy some rubber washers and put them on over the strap. Same effect, but much less costly. That's what I do, and I've never had my guitar fall...

Don't use rubber washers get metal washers
Quote by psitacosis
Don't use rubber washers get metal washers

1 - don't necrobump
2 - don't necrobump bad information.

how exactly are you planning on getting a metal washer over the strap pin on the guitar?
Quote by boffen
Get those DiMarzio cliplocks

+1 I have them on both my electrics, haven't failed me yet.

wow, just realized this thread is old. my b.