Would running a tube mic preamp, such as one of the ART mic preamps, have any real effect on your sound, or the feel of the amp (response)? I've seen a couple guitarist do it, and for one in particular (using an Marshall MG) it seemed to help the tone a bit. Would it help at all, or would it just be a placebo effect?

Thanks!
-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
wouldn't do much, those ARTs would give a bit of a tube based signal boost, which gives a bit more drive, but, not much else. I can't see it actually improving the tone much.

If you can't have tubes everywhere, you at least want it in the power section. The old Peavey VTX and Deuces being a good example. Solid state preamp, Tube poweramp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Aug 14, 2010,
I actually used to have a tube amp (Crate Vintage Club 30), but I sold it to prep for leaving for college. My current amp is a Line6 Axsys212, and it's a great amp, but to get the amp to really shine (feel wise) I have to crank it to 4 or 5, which isn't really doable because it runs 2 50w poweramps.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
You would spend your money more wisely by taking the $100 or so for the preamp, selling your current amp, and buying a used amp that's better, whether SS or tube.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
It's unlikely to make a huge difference.

If you're looking to add 'sponginess' run a compressor in the loop and use less gain.

If you're looking to add responsiveness running the tube preamp out front might make a slight improvement.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2