Page 1 of 5
Ok, we all know that British comedy has been, for a long time, superior to all other countries comedy, what with programmes like Red Dwarf and Fawlty Towers.
However, does anyone else not agree that the good reputation of British comedy is being ruined by shite programmes like Gavin and Stacey, Little Britain and Grandmas House (first episode aired tonight and is the reason for this thread).
Please post is you feel we are bieng let down!!!
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
I've always hated British comedy. I can understand it's appeal, I guess. But really... I've always enjoyed black comedy and movies like Anchorman far more (yes, I'll probably be flamed, but oh well)
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
I agree, especially Little Britain (F*cking terrible programme).
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
yes.

I only watch American comedy these days, although British live comedians are amazing at the moment.
There are some funny recent ones. Inbetweeners?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Meh I am sure we will get over it...

British Comedy to me is more an ideal of us as a nation having a "drier" sense of humour, not the shitty crop of bbc3 programes on at the moment.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Malakian=God
Ok, we all know that British comedy has been, for a long time, superior to all other countries comedy,

well, that was the most pretentious post I've read today.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
well, that was the most pretentious post I've read today.

The day is three minutes old.
Yes. The modern british comedy programmes are no good. Shit like the IT crowd and also the way british humour is going due to retards like russle brand.

edit: Oh yeah, and that other peice of hipster garbage that i can't remember the name of >_< that's bugging me now
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by guitar12
The day is three minutes old.

indeed.
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
Peep show, QI, That Mitchell and Webb look, Armstrong and Miller, The Royle Family, The Inbetweeners.

There's still plenty of good stuff. Obviously nothing ever going to beat Monty Python, but that's what you get if you start at the top.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Is this why you wanna go travelling through Europe?

High five bro.

I like armstrong and miller.

EDIT : EPIC Armstrong and Miller
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
There are some funny recent ones. Inbetweeners?

This is exactly what im talking about, Inbetweeners is just so american, just like all comedy is becoming, and american comedy is by far the worst. All it is is the same predictable scenarios being played out over and over, with very little thought put into them, and Im sick of it!!!
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Is this why you wanna go travelling through Europe?

GET OUT OF MY (T)H(R)EAD!!!
Peep Show, IT Crowd, Black Books, The Inbetweeners and The Mighty Boosh are good recent British comedies. The humour in American comedy is far too two dimensional and unintellectual for me. Classic comedies like Father Ted, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers probably won't be matched anytime soon.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Last edited by HeavyReverb at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by Malakian=God
This is exactly what im talking about, Inbetweeners is just so american, just like all comedy is becoming, and american comedy is by far the worst. All it is is the same predictable scenarios being played out over and over, with very little thought put into them, and Im sick of it!!!

Wrong. Inbetweeners had perfect comedic timing..I stand by it.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Peep Show
Black Books
Inbetweeners
Shameless
Green Wing
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
etc etc etc.

Frankie Boyle
Dara O Briain
Michael Macintyre
Bill Bailey
Rhod Gilbert
Jimmy Carr
Sean Lock
David Mitchell
Ross Noble
Ricky Gervais
etc etc etc.
There has always been terrible British comedy. There has also been brilliant British comedy, and there always will be. You just need to look harder, I guess, but it's not really hard to find.

And please don't this into one of these British vs American comedy threads, both are very different, and both can be amazing. Obviously most British people will prefer British comedy, and most Americans will prefer American comedy... it's just cultural difference.

Anyway:

Quote by SgtSquiggles
Peep Show
Inbetweeners
Shameless
Green Wing
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz

Frankie Boyle
Dara O Briain
Michael Macintyre
Bill Bailey
Rhod Gilbert
Jimmy Carr
Sean Lock
David Mitchell
Ross Noble
Ricky Gervais

Irish not British
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Is Coupling still being aired in Britain?

It was the only British comedy thing I've ever laughed at (besides snippets of Doctor Who episodes, but the comedy is just the icing in that program.)

All of my favourite stand-up comedians are all of American (George Carlin, Richard Jeni, Steven Wright)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by HeavyReverb
Peep Show, IT Crowd, Black Books, The Inbetweeners and The Mighty Boosh are good recent British comedies. The humour in American comedy is far too two dimensional and unintellectual for me. Classic comedies like Father Ted, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers probably won't be matched anytime soon.

The only ones out of those that I think are really good are Peep Show and Black Books, I don't like the others for some reason.
Quote by HeavyReverb
Irish not British

For all intents and purposes it is. Don't be so pedantic.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Wrong. Inbetweeners had perfect comedic timing..I stand by it.

Ok, well compare it to blackadder etc...
Everything about it is just soooo American, the rudeness, the filming, the predictability, the attempt to turn it into a soap/comedy.
It really annoys me.
British comedy is still easily the best. You are forgetting the stand-up scene.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Malakian=God

Damn, you're an asshole. With this and your first post, I don't think I'd like you in real life.
Quote by Malakian=God
Everything about it is just soooo American, the rudeness, the filming, the predictability, the attempt to turn it into a soap/comedy.
It really annoys me.

Blackadder was the most british a comedy can be The depth of irony and the constant cringe-factor. It had a very father ted style humour.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by SgtSquiggles

Sorry pal, you're wrong.
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
Quote by Demon Wolf
British comedy is still easily the best. You are forgetting the stand-up scene.

Hell yes. I saw Stuart Lee a few months ago, probably the funniest thing I've ever experienced in my life. And you're a Bill Bailey fan.
Black Books and Blackadder are the best comedy series of all time.

EDIT: Of course I am, Bill Bailey is the funniest man alive.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by SgtSquiggles

No. Differentiating between Ireland and Britain is not being pedantic you ****ing moron
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb

IT crowd, the inbetweeners and the mighty boosh are examples of the decline of british comedy. Black Books was amazing but that was over 10 years ago, peep show was alright.
Quote by Malakian=God
It really annoys me.

Rubbish, the inbetweeners is classic British comedy.

Sounds like the problem is that your sense of humour is too American.
Quote by Zoot Allures
IT crowd, the inbetweeners and the mighty boosh are examples of the decline of british comedy. Black Books was amazing but that was over 10 years ago, peep show was alright.

I don't think they're examples of the decline at all. Like I said, there has always been comedy in Britain which isn't great, it's just mostly forgotten about. These shows will also be forgotten about 10 years from now, while stuff like Peep Show will be remembered.

Although I'll be very surprised if I see anything as genius as Monty Python, or if I see anyone who will make me laugh as much as Chris Morris.
Page 1 of 5