ive got about £300 max (so would like to spend about 200 quid) atm ive got a harley benton les paul copy:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbl500bk_egitarre.htm

that was my first guitar, and cost about £120.

my amp is a vox vt100 and sounds so damn tasty. but i have a feeling that my guitar is lacking a bit in the sound department. i reckon the pickups (still the factory set) are duff and there is something wrong with the bridge. And im thinking if i have to change these i may aswell buy a decent guitar in the first place.

btw genres im into include wolfmother, arctic monkeys, acdc, oasis, the fratellis, white stripes, the hives, kasabian. Basically hard, indie and alternative rock.

(I hate screamo and anything too heavy with a passion!!)

here are the Q's?

1. what do others think about my current guitar (the one shown in the link)?

2. should I go les paul or SG for the new guitar?

3. particularly good guitar companys i should look out for?

4. is £200 - 300 gona get me a good guitar, for giging and home play, and hopfully last a good 10 years?

5. if not how much money do you think i would need?

6. any actual makes and models you think would be perfect for me

and anything else you wana add

cheers

josh
Quote by funny18
sorry cheers britishsligean, ill look into it

with regards the squier look at the ones closer to the top end of your budget, the cheaper ones tend to be abit nasty, if you can look used you could look at a mexican fender hss strat
Doesn't look like too shabby of a knockoff

That's %100 a matter of taste for you. However, since you already have an LP shaped guitar, that might slightly influence you to go for the SG shape

I would take a look at Agile, from Rondo Music. I don't have a ton of experience with them, but I've heard great things about them. And it seems like something Jack White would do. Just sayin.

4. is £200 - 300 gona get me a good guitar, for giging and home play, and hopfully last a good 10 years?
Probably. You more or less get what you pay for, but I could imagine a solid guitar around that price lasting for a god length of time
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by britishsligean
with regards the squier look at the ones closer to the top end of your budget, the cheaper ones tend to be abit nasty, if you can look used you could look at a mexican fender hss strat

cheers again, but i do have my heart set on LP or SG not strats, to me they just dont have the same affect visually. but yeah my brother has a rather tacky sounding and feeling cheap strat atm
Quote by funny18
cheers again, but i do have my heart set on LP or SG not strats, to me they just dont have the same affect visually. but yeah my brother has a rather tacky sounding and feeling cheap strat atm

i own a les paul and sg, whilst my brother has a hss strat, and all are about the same in terms of versatility, i like playing the strat than my main guitar which is my sg
Quote by britishsligean
i own a les paul and sg, whilst my brother has a hss strat, and all are about the same in terms of versatility, i like playing the strat than my main guitar which is my sg

ahh kk, cheers mate
Typical LP copy. There are lots of them about. I would assume it's not utterly unplayable, but with £300 you will be able to get a much better guitar.

They're two very different guitars, especially in terms of how they feel in your hands; nobody can tell you which one is right for you, only you can know that and you will only know which is right by playing both. Generally, SGs have a darker but thinner tone while Les Pauls have a brighter and thicker tone; SGs tend to be neck-heavy unless you reposition the front strap button (which means drilling holes in your guitar, something you should only do if you're sure you'll be keeping it for a long time). SGs also tend to have a slightly slimmer neck, although this is not always the case. The neck pickup on SGs is often very slightly brighter-toned than it would be on a Les Paul. The fret access on an SG is much better than a Les Paul if you have smaller or medium-size hands. Ultimately though, which is best for you comes down to which you prefer once you have tried both styles.

Epiphone and Vintage are the main and arguably best makers of Les Paul and SG style guitars that are easily available in the UK. Vintage give you more for your money (especially their Vintage Advance series, which are fantastic guitars), although Epiphones retain their original value better which is important if you think you will ever sell the guitar. Rally and Tokai are also quite good although don't have many decent models for under £300 and are a little harder to find in shops than Vintage or Epiphone.
A previous poster mentioned Agile; forget them, as they are only a viable option to people in America. The cost of importing an Agile to the UK would put it well, well over your £300 budget and they are not, in any way, better than Vintage or Epiphone. Vintage are the European equivalent of Agile.

A guitar will last forever so long as you take good care of it. However, in ten years you won't want to still be playing a generic made-in-China Les Paul or SG copy. Hell, you won't want to be playing it in four years, let alone ten. The vast majority of people get into Japanese-made or American-made guitars within about five years or so. It will still hold out well enough that it could be a good backup guitar though.

5. if not how much money do you think i would need?
While I don't think you really need to spend more than £300, it would be smart to save up another hundred so you can get a hardcase, a sturdy strap and a set of straplocks. If you do want a £300 guitar to last you a while, eventually you're going to want to upgrade the electronics and hardware too; this will usually total £200-£300 by itself. However, that does not need to be done right away. Indeed, many people do not bother upgrading their guitars until they're playing to a thousand people or so on a reuglar basis and plenty of professionals live with stock guitars for their entire careers.

6. any actual makes and models you think would be perfect for me
Vintage Advance AV1, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone G-400, Vintage VS6, Vintage V100 and the Vintage Advance AV2H, Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom.

And I know this wasn't a question but I've got to add it in:
Quote by funny18

btw genres im into include wolfmother, arctic monkeys, acdc, oasis, the fratellis, white stripes, the hives, kasabian. Basically hard, indie and alternative rock.
None of those bands are anything close to indie. Indie is stuff like Dream Disciples, The Delgados, Waterproof Blonde and I suppose something like King Lizard would count too. Hell, even McFly are technically more indie than anyone you mentioned. 'Indie' is a label that is suffering from frequent inappropriate use these days and while I don't blame you for misusing it (because everyone is misusing it), I would ask that you don't do so in future. It makes it really hard to know what sort of tone and feel someone is after if they're confusing their terms, it's like asking for advice on humbuckers when what you actually want is a single coil. "Alternative rock" also means a great many things. It's better to stick to just listing bands you want to sound like rather than using genres because genres can span a wide variety and get misused so often.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand PRS SE CU22

+2, they're fantastic guitars.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Epiphone G400 maybe? It's an excellent guitar.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
+1 for epi LP standard.. can't go wrong with the classic(crassic) feel(feer), tone and looks(rooks)

But seriously, they're good guitars. Order from Thomann, you'll get cheap delivery (to your doorstep, at least in Finland), cheap accessories, good service and really nice warranties (not to mention the money-back, they'll actually arrange DHL service that fetches the parcel from you).
Flog your Harley Benton, get a used Epiphone LP or PRS SE, put any money you have left over in your new amp kitty.
don't buy a vintage guitar from thomann, you can get them way cheaper in the UK.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble
Typical LP copy. There are lots of them about. I would assume it's not utterly unplayable, but with £300 you will be able to get a much better guitar.

They're two very different guitars, especially in terms of how they feel in your hands; nobody can tell you which one is right for you, only you can know that and you will only know which is right by playing both.....

haha you legend mate, thanks for all the time you clearly put into that. i had been having my eyes on a few cheeky vinage ones.

plus the term indie was derived individual as bands would seemingly get to the top without a record label backing them. i think arctic monkeys did just this for a few years. i would class arctic monkeys as under indie rock (well their early stuff anyway).

thats my opinion anyhow, in future i will list just bands like you said :P

cheers
Chapman ML1 bro

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by funny18

plus the term indie was derived individual as bands would seemingly get to the top without a record label backing them. i think arctic monkeys did just this for a few years. i would class arctic monkeys as under indie rock (well their early stuff anyway).
Actually, 'indie' comes from 'independant', meaning bands (or indeed labels) that don't have major corporate backing. You can be signed to a record label and still be ''indie'', it just depends on the nature of label. I would agree that the Arctic Monkeys were indie up until about mid-2004, but they're certainly not indie now and haven't been for several years, they're rolling with EMI these days.

But yeah, the point was more just that 'indie' itself doesn't say anything about the kind of tone you're after and it's one of many buzzwords that gets thrown around incorrectly. It's nowt personal, it's just that most of the threads on these boards are "what guitar/amp/pickup/pedal should I buy?" threads and it makes it a lot quicker and easier for everyone if we all steer clear of any ambiguous or commonly confused terms.

Also, I forgot to mention: if you don't mind looking at the second hand market, you might be able to pickup up a Fender Telecaster Deluxe or a Gibson SG Special for about £350-£400. Obviously it's a bit over your budget, but it would be really worth saving up for if you found one at around this price - the Fender is a significant step up from most sub-£400 guitars and the Gibson would be a massive upgrade. The only problem is the only second hand ones that tend to be quite that cheap are ones that have had their finishes chipped or some such. If you can live with it though, going for something like that can get you a lot more guitar for your money and even if it did put you £100 over budget, it would be well worth it if you're wanting a guitar that will last a long time.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually, 'indie' comes from 'independant', meaning bands (or indeed labels) that don't have major corporate backing. You can be signed to a record label and still be ''indie'', it just depends on the nature of label. I would agree that the Arctic Monkeys were indie up until about mid-2004, but they're certainly not indie now and haven't been for several years, they're rolling with EMI these days.

But yeah, the point was more just that 'indie' itself doesn't say anything about the kind of tone you're after and it's one of many buzzwords that gets thrown around incorrectly. It's nowt personal, it's just that most of the threads on these boards are "what guitar/amp/pickup/pedal should I buy?" threads and it makes it a lot quicker and easier for everyone if we all steer clear of any ambiguous or commonly confused terms.

Also, I forgot to mention: if you don't mind looking at the second hand market, you might be able to pickup up a Fender Telecaster Deluxe or a Gibson SG Special for about £350-£400. Obviously it's a bit over your budget, but it would be really worth saving up for if you found one at around this price - the Fender is a significant step up from most sub-£400 guitars and the Gibson would be a massive upgrade. The only problem is the only second hand ones that tend to be quite that cheap are ones that have had their finishes chipped or some such. If you can live with it though, going for something like that can get you a lot more guitar for your money and even if it did put you £100 over budget, it would be well worth it if you're wanting a guitar that will last a long time.

thanks again man, ill look into it.. i dont really mind too much if its secondhand i mean a small chip isnt gona change the sound too much. its just money is a problem im only 17, still looking for a job, money i do have is either from fam or from cash in hand jobs. but yeah cheers for the info
Ibanez RGA32 if you are looking for other types besides an LP or SG...
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.