I currently have a Line 6 spider 15 that I desperately need to upgrade. I have the chance to buy a used Line 6 Flextone 2 XL (2x12) with the floorboard for $300 (which I think is a great deal). I play hard rock/metal and need a good amp for hi-gain while still producing good cleans. I also need the amp to be loud enough for band practices and small gigs. From reviews I've read and advice from others it seems that the Flextone is a good quality amp with good tone that will be good for live performances. Is this true and will it have a good tone live and cut through the drums? Should I stick with the flextone or try to find a cheap tube amp? I don't know much about tube amps and I'm not sure if there are any good ones in my budget ($300-400).

Do you guys recommend I go with the flextone or something else. Basically, I need a good amp for live small gigs for hard rock/metal. I live in the hartford, ct area and can go used. Thanks!
Flextones are great amps, and that's a good deal, but the Flex II seems to be outdated. Do they still provide support/patches for those?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Flex2 is a pretty good amp. Just remember that the Flex2 and Flex3 are VERY different. Flex 2 uses POD 2.0 technology while Flex3 uses xt/x3 tech.

The POD 2.0 is pretty good though especially if you're doing hardrock/metal and because the flex3 doesn't have any OD effect the Flex2 is actually better for hardrock/metal than the Flex3 because the Flex 2 models are 'tighter.'
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Aug 15, 2010,
Never owned a line 6, but from what I've heard, your going to regret your line 6 down the road
Quote by MattBR
Never owned a line 6, but from what I've heard, your going to regret your line 6 down the road

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know anything about what the thread starter posted than don't post anything. He would regret buying something like a spider half stack which is in a whole tonal relm of doo doo. The flex is a great amp for that price I'd go for it but test it out first
Hell that carvin looks amazing. I'd take that over the flextone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Normally I'd say a modelling amp can never sound as good as the thing it's modelling so buy a tube amp. However, the Flextone is one of the better modellers and at that price I think you should snap it up unless you find a better bargain on a valve amp. That Carvin would be what I'd get though because that is a bargain. If you sat both of them in front of me and said "choose" I'd grab the Carvin in a heartbeat.
If anything goes wrong with either it's easier to fix a discontinued valve amp than a discontinued modeller because they use garden variety components and not special one off things. The parts for the Carvin will always be available, an old Flextone, not so much. Definitely worth keeping in mind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay, thanks for the help, the carvin does seem nice. Do you guys think it would be better for live performances since it's tube? Also, would it be able to get good metal tones?
Quote by Kyleisthename
I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know anything about what the thread starter posted than don't post anything. He would regret buying something like a spider half stack which is in a whole tonal relm of doo doo. The flex is a great amp for that price I'd go for it but test it out first

I see and agree with what your saying, but just from what i've seen in my small world of gigging and listening to people on UG, lots of them end up upgrading/regretting from a line 6. i just guess if i were in the situation TS is in i'd rather save for a "better sounding" amp. its all opinion though.

and: yes its a good price and upgrade for you TS, generally tube always sounds better than the solid state/digital stuff, but i dont know how well it will handle teh metalz. (not saying it cant, i actually dont know, not a metal guy)
Last edited by MattBR at Aug 15, 2010,
^ Line 6 makes some incredible amps and equipment, sort of marred by their lower end stuff. You are thinking of their Spider line, mostly, and most UGers have never experienced their upper stuff.
i use a flextone live myself and it does do the job really well people always say there suprised to hear such a big sound from such a little amp if you can find a good deal on a tube amp it may be better but a flextone will not be a bad bet
Quote by MattBR
I see and agree with what your saying, but just from what i've seen in my small world of gigging and listening to people on UG, lots of them end up upgrading/regretting from a line 6. i just guess if i were in the situation TS is in i'd rather save for a "better sounding" amp. its all opinion though.

Well personally I never got on with my flextone, but it's not an amp for playing metal on. That was a flextone III though, there was just something about the speakers that made the sound really muddy, and even with an eq pedal in the loop I could never get a decent sound out of it. Great for other styles though, they do cleans really well, as well as blues/ 70's rock (AC/DC).

Personally I'd save up for something else, but I'm quite biased.
Ok, thanks guys. I've emailed the guy selling the carvin through craigslist. It's been almost a week and he hasn't responded, to me that doesn't seem like a good sign. Maybe I should just go with the flextone because it seems like a great deal? Will it give good metal tones? Thanks!