So I've decided it's time to get new pickups for my Strat since the guy who owned it before me installed his own and totally f-d up the wiring. It sounds fine, but (normally positions 2 and 4 on th toggle will give you slight hum-cancelling) there is no hum-cancelling whatsoever and excessive buzzing. I could really care less about the brand, but I want to keep the same bluesy, classic fender tone, although it would be nice if they could handle a decent amount of distortion and fuzz. I am looking to spend no more than $100 per pickup. Any suggestions?
It's not that he buggered up the wiring, it just means his middle pickup wasn't reverse wound/reverse polarity.

What's your current rig? and what don't you like about the current pups (apart from hum)
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
I suggest some dimarzio hs-3s their hum canceling and still have a classic strat tone...or try a dimarzio area pickup they have several different kinds I use the 58 in the middle and the 61 in the neck....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
If there is more noise/hum in positions 2 and 4 there is some kind wiring problem, probably in the switch. If its the same, then its the middle pickup like Ratfish said.
Oh right, looks like i missed the bit about "excessive buzzing". Wiring really isn't that complicated, take it apart and see what's wrong.

Either way, my original questions still stand
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Well I'm not even sure what kind of pickups are in there now, they also seem to be lacking in overall clarity and tonal variation between the positions. I've played Squiers that sound almost comparable to the strat I have. It's a antastic guitar, bu like I said pickups need to go, thank god I got it cheap. Thanks for the help.
Little bit vague in your answer there, haha. Also, what rig are you running through?

Anyway, as for pickups, some to check out:
Lindy Fralins
DiMarzio area 58 etc. I also like the Cruiser
EMG SA
Fender custom shop
(all single coils of course)
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

I'm running it through a Marshall valvestate. I love my EMG humbuckers, but could the single coils still do blues tones or are they meant mainly for hard rock and metal? I heard they can get kind of muddy as well.
If you are wanting to spend $100 per pickup you can pretty much get whatever you want. I would recommend Fralin Blues Specials. They are fantastic. $300 should easily get you a loaded pickguard. Just solder two wires and your done.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I think it's normal for the pickups to buzz a little bit more in positions 2 and 4 if the middle pickup is not reverse-wound; at least mine does since I have Fender CS 54's in mine.

If you want hum cancelling pickups, I'd definitely look at the DiMarzio Virtual Vintages; that'd be my suggestion at least.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FloyDZeD
I think it's normal for the pickups to buzz a little bit more in positions 2 and 4 if the middle pickup is not reverse-wound; at least mine does since I have Fender CS 54's in mine.

If you want hum cancelling pickups, I'd definitely look at the DiMarzio Virtual Vintages; that'd be my suggestion at least.

Correct. The middle pickup being reverse polarity is what makes 2 and 4 hum cancelling.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
if you have the same polarity pickups in all positions, you'll have 60-cycle hum in position 1, 3, and 5. you'll have some kind of a 120-cycle hum in position 2 and 4. that's how it is.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if you have the same polarity pickups in all positions, you'll have 60-cycle hum in position 1, 3, and 5. you'll have some kind of a 120-cycle hum in position 2 and 4. that's how it is.

I never realized that....so why don't they make pickups specially for middle position like they do for the neck and bridge? I'm working on a project superstrat at the moment its a el cheapo squier with 3 single coils.so what your saying is one of the 3 pickups is different? I only plan on using only 1 just for the middle anyways but crap I just have them in a ziploc bag right now and I'd never be able to tell the difference
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
I never realized that....so why don't they make pickups specially for middle position like they do for the neck and bridge? I'm working on a project superstrat at the moment its a el cheapo squier with 3 single coils.so what your saying is one of the 3 pickups is different? I only plan on using only 1 just for the middle anyways but crap I just have them in a ziploc bag right now and I'd never be able to tell the difference

You can use a compass (as in orienteering compass). One of the pick ups will attract the opposite end of the needle as the other two. This will be the reverse polarity pup.