Poll: Should i get the Schecter hellraiser?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should i get the Schecter hellraiser?
Yes
36 68%
No(post what you think i should get instead)
17 32%
Voters: 53.
So i went around looking for a guitar less than about $550 for anything from guns and roses to trivium style playing for my peavy vyper. I think ive settled on the Schecter Hellraiser C1-Fr becuase i can find them for $450 used and have money left over for case, pedels, ect.. Does everyone think thats a good choice or what? (i want a guitar with a floyd rose and preferably active pickups) Post your reasoning also if you say yes please : )

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-103642161-i1401616.gc
Last edited by -Kr0n1c- at Aug 15, 2010,
Are you happy with your current tone?

If you're happy when your tone, then by all means get a new guitar. But if you're looking to improve your tone, new amp.

Now if you're looking to improve playability, new guitar is the way to go.
Shecters are usually very good value for money, especially the Hellraiser.
I've actually been looking at a shecter tempest myself to stick in permanent Eb or D tuning.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by TheAbsentOne

If you're happy when your tone, then by all means get a new guitar. But if you're looking to improve your tone, new amp.

I love the way my amp plays, i dont plan on buying i knew one till i consider myself good enough to do gigs. Until then i just want a really awesome guitar to upgrade from my ltd f-50 (i wanna customize the f-50 and give it to my girlfriend as a gift to upgrade from her little squire strat she hates, since she loves my f-50)
Last edited by -Kr0n1c- at Aug 15, 2010,
How big is your amp? What guitar do you have now?

I personally would not get a Hellraiser if you're using a Vypyr. That's just asking for all kinds of trouble, really.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I highly recommend you get the standard c1 hellraiser instead of the floyd rose equipped model. If you've done the research on everything you have to do to maintain a guitar with a floating tremolo and you're sure it's what you want then honestly go for it, as someone that used to own one I have to say it is a great guitar.
However if you want to be able to change tunings a lot. Maybe switch back and forth between standard and drop d I think you'll be far happier with a guitar with a fixed bridge.
Quote by Megdidar
I highly recommend you get the standard c1 hellraiser instead of the floyd rose equipped model. If you've done the research on everything you have to do to maintain a guitar with a floating tremolo and you're sure it's what you want then honestly go for it, as someone that used to own one I have to say it is a great guitar.
However if you want to be able to change tunings a lot. Maybe switch back and forth between standard and drop d I think you'll be far happier with a guitar with a fixed bridge.

My girlfriends dad is awesome with floyds so i go to him and ive also watched him do enough to maintain it myself. And a trick is if you wanna change tunings alot then just take of the locking nut clamps and just use the pegs to tune as my friend does on his ltd, works great. But i mostly stay in standard so its fine : ) and thanks for the input from an actual owner.
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
My girlfriends dad is awesome with floyds so i go to him and ive also watched him do enough to maintain it myself. And a trick is if you wanna change tunings alot then just take of the locking nut clamps and just use the pegs to tune as my friend does on his ltd, works great. But i mostly stay in standard so its fine : ) and thanks for the input from an actual owner.

wat

Taking off the nut clamp will do nothing to alleviate the problems that arise when you change tunings on a floating bridge.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
wat

Taking off the nut clamp will do nothing to alleviate the problems that arise when you change tunings on a floating bridge.

Really? Are you sure? Cause my friend took his off and just tunes by using the tuners on the headstock and his guitar stays in tune and plays awesome.
Quote by Offworld92
How big is your amp? What guitar do you have now?

I personally would not get a Hellraiser if you're using a Vypyr. That's just asking for all kinds of trouble, really.

i just have the vyper 15 cause i just play at my house, but why is it not good for the schecter? Also if i had a different amp would you suggest the schecter? if so can you recomend any amp to use with it that i can find for less than $300?
He mean that the Active EMGs wouldn't sound well with the Vypyr since it's a modeling amp. I mean, they'd sound okay, but you wouldn't be using them to their full extent. They sound better through a tube amp, which are quite pricey compared to modelers. You could find some under $300, but if you like the tone your getting with the Vypyr(which I do) upgrade to the 30 watt version that has built in stompboxes and Sanpera compatibility.

Also, if you're new to Floyd Rose tremolos, you'll have to stick to one tuning for the most part. Guns n' Roses use a different tuning than Trivium, so if your changing tunings frequently its best you get the Hellraiser without the trem. You can't just unlock the nut, you need to level the trem and mess with the springs in the back.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by spacec0wboy at Aug 15, 2010,
Leaving the lock nut un-clamped totally destroys the ability of a double locking bridge system like a Floyd Rose to do its job.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
i just have the vyper 15 cause i just play at my house, but why is it not good for the schecter? Also if i had a different amp would you suggest the schecter? if so can you recomend any amp to use with it that i can find for less than $300?

I would suggest if if you had a different amp.

The trouble is that EMG's don't go well together well with most solid state amps, and sound even worse with modeling amps. If you do use a solid state amp with active pickups, it should be at least 100W, which is far away from what you have.

I'm not saying that your amp is bad (I own one myself), or that the Hellraiser is bad. But you should just know that they won't sound good together.

I highly recommend getting a guitar with passive pickups in this scenario, unless you have immediate plans to upgrade your amp.

When you say you're looking for an amp for less than $300, are you implying that you have a total budget of ~$800?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would suggest if if you had a different amp.

The trouble is that EMG's don't go well together well with most solid state amps, and sound even worse with modeling amps. If you do use a solid state amp with active pickups, it should be at least 100W, which is far away from what you have.

I'm not saying that your amp is bad (I own one myself), or that the Hellraiser is bad. But you should just know that they won't sound good together.

I highly recommend getting a guitar with passive pickups in this scenario, unless you have immediate plans to upgrade your amp.

When you say you're looking for an amp for less than $300, are you implying that you have a total budget of ~$800?

im hoping the guitar to last a good ten years and i plan on buying a new amp within a year or two so id rather get something with actives. And i stay in standard and drop d so id rather have a floyd.
If you're looking for something that permanent, then the last thing you should be doing is asking the internet for suggestions. You should be in stores, playing everything you can get your hands on and afford, because you better be absolutely satisfied with it.

You should probably also raise your budget if you want it to last that long.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
why would rather have actives if they wont sound good with yor current amp?

Why would want a fr if you change tunings ?

Seems like a bad desicion to me something with passive pups and a fixed bridge would suit you better
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne

Yes because the guitar has nothing to do with tone.
Quote by al112987

Yes because the guitar has nothing to do with tone.

The guitar actually has very little to do with tone - it's almost negligible in the face of the difference an amp makes in tone. No matter what guitar I'm using, if I'm playing it through a 6505, it's going to sound brutal. I'm not going to be able to play country very well through a 6505, even if I have a single coil strat, or even a semi hollow.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The guitar actually has very little to do with tone - it's almost negligible in the face of the difference an amp makes in tone. No matter what guitar I'm using, if I'm playing it through a 6505, it's going to sound brutal. I'm not going to be able to play country very well through a 6505, even if I have a single coil strat, or even a semi hollow.

ill get 6505 within the year so pleaase just rate the guitar not based on my amp.

and btw, i stay in standard and rarely drop d, and a floyd can do drop d. So im only getting a guitar with a floyd.
Changing from E Standard to Drop D is just as much hassle with a Floyd as if you were changing from E Standard to Drop B. Any change in tuning, no matter how small, requires a different string gauge, the spring tension will need to be adjusted to match and more often than not you need to give the guitar a full set up afterwards (you certainly need to adjust intonation). Floyds are not for people who use multiple tunings, even if it is ''only'' Drop D.

Also, planning ahead is good but you do need to bear in mind that as long as you're using that Vyper, those active pickups are going to sound utterly awful. Additionally, just buying a new amp will not guarantee that you'll get a good tone. Active pickups can sound great but only if you really know what you're doing; if you don't know why you're using them and what they can do for you then they will sound worse than any passive pickup will. Now, don't take this personally, but it's pretty clear you are somone who doesn't know enough to get the best out of active pickups. If you have to ask about them, if you're making threads on forums asking strangers if you've picked out the right guitar, then you clearly don't know enough to get active pickups sounding good. I've been a complete gear nut for just about six years now, I've got a professional-quality amp designed specifically with active pickups in mind and even I am still learning how to get the best tones out of active pickups.

Frankly, I think you need to stop being so frantic, sit back and slowly and carefully re-think all your choices and do some more research on what will actually suit you. I certainly would not advise a Floyd-equipped guitar with active pickups for "Guns N' Roses to Trivium" in a mixture of E Standard and Drop D. A fixed bridge with moderately aggressive passive pickups would be a much wiser choice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by -Kr0n1c-
Really? Are you sure? Cause my friend took his off and just tunes by using the tuners on the headstock and his guitar stays in tune and plays awesome.

Just look at it and you'd see why it wouldn't have any effect on why the different tunings **** shit up. The tremolo is balanced between the string tension and spring tension. Changing one will result in having to change the other to get a proper balance.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah dude you can only set it up with one tuning, even in drop D you will screw up the floating tremolo angle and will have to mess with the springs from the back adjusting the claw.

FR is great, just honestly, one tuning is all you can do without a setup, even drop D. You definitely can't play it without the locking nuts, it won't stay in tune. If your friends stays in tune, I can bet his bend and vibrato is not too strong.

Schecters are great for the money all other things put aside. although wouldn't be my first recommendation because the neck is a bit large for me.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 16, 2010,
where did you find one for 450? i got mine for 750 and that was one without the floyd.
get one like mine so its easier to change tunings but if you insist on getting one with a tremelo then i'd go for a different guitar even though hellraisers are very good especially for the price
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Offworld92

This is total bullshit.
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
This is total bullshit.

Actually I agree with him, the amp shapes waaaay more of your tone than a guitar does..
The amp has a large impact on overall tone but, if you get the same tone from a Les Paul and Strat your an idiot when it comes to setting the controls,
Bhaok

Quote by OliOsbourne
where did you find one for 450? i got mine for 750 and that was one without the floyd.
get one like mine so its easier to change tunings but if you insist on getting one with a tremelo then i'd go for a different guitar even though hellraisers are very good especially for the price

i went to guitar centers online used section. Tey range from like 450-600 there. Their website actually has great deals if you do a national search on used gear instead of local.

i actually prefer the thick neck of schecter since im always playing my girlfriends dads jackson and those necks are pretty big.

A guitar still does have a big effect on sound and tone.

ill get a floyd even if i must stay in standard

and ive played with active pickups on my peavy already and i love the way they sound(personal preference i guess) so dont try to turn me away from the guitar for that reason
I'd recomend the hellraiser, but if you want versitility (Guns often played in Eb didnt they?) and trivium usually in Drop d I would go for the one without a floyd.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by -Kr0n1c-

i actually prefer the thick neck of schecter since im always playing my girlfriends dads jackson and those necks are pretty big.

A guitar still does have a big effect on sound and tone.

ill get a floyd even if i must stay in standard

and ive played with active pickups on my peavy already and i love the way they sound(personal preference i guess) so dont try to turn me away from the guitar for that reason

its obvious that you have already decided to get the guitar,all you want is us to tell is "oh awesome choice man!!!!hellraizers rule!!"

please don't make bullshit threads like this,many people tried to give you useful advice,and all you did was ignore em,saying how you like actives with a practice modeller, and how you'll unlock the nut and change tunings (hahaha)

I want to report this,but I think I'll let Kyle decide what's gonna happen to this thread
I say get a used C-1 Classic.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!