I want to get a Marshall Half-Stack (figured if I'm going to do it, I'd do it right). I want to get the Mustaine cab and the MA100 Head, my question is if they will work together and not blow each other up.
As long as the impedance matches and the cab can handle enough watts you're good
Quote by connorhxcchaos
so you wont be getting the best outta the cab.

You don't need to run a cab at maximum power to get the best out of it. The 1960 cabs come with G12T-75s or whatever they're called, for total power handling of 300 W. But the most powerful amps they make are nominally 100 W (unless you can find yourself a Major) and certainly not 300 W. You can run speakers at any amount of power, up to the limit, at which they will start to get too hot and self-destruct.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by WtrPlyr
What's this supposed to mean?

Marshall =/= best.

Fixed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Well he doesn't know much about half stacks, or heads and cabs for that matter. Ergo, he doesn't know what's best for him.

TS,

Budget?
Genres?
Willing to go used?
Current Gear?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Get yourself a second-hand one of these:

And have a look on eBay/Craigslist for something like this:

Loud, ballsy, portable, great sounding, and probably cheaper than that MA piece of crap.
Quote by kyle62

And have a look on eBay/Craigslist for something like this:

Loud, ballsy, portable, great sounding, and probably cheaper than that MA piece of crap.
Do this. The MA sounds like an MG with tubes slapped in it. Actually, it sounds like an MG with big lightbulbs slapped into it to look like tubes.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by CL/\SH

TS,

Budget?
Genres?
Willing to go used?
Current Gear?

the current gear is in his sig. but yea, the rest is what we need to really rec something...

Quote by kyle62

"you don't want that old beat up Ford. Get this Lambo!"

...I love a good ol' JCM800 too
lol, I saw that after I posted and was too lazy to fix it. But yes.

Most amps, even an MA, would be an upgrade from the Raven. BUT. Don't get the MA. It's nothing special.
Quote by Spartan101400
Around $2000 dollars
Anything Spanning from Hendrix to Megadeth
Yes
Check Sig.

With two grand you're looking at a used JCM900 head and a Marshall 1960 cab. Way better than what you're looking at now.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
To jump on the bandwagon, a used JCM800 and a Mesa 2x12 would suit you fairly well. With that kind of cash you could look at a Mesa Dual Rec as well.

So since you can go used, here are some options.

For head; JCM 800, Dual Rec as mentioned, maybe a Mesa Stiletto, Road King (if you can find a good price) Roadster. Those Mesas are probably more geared toward making use of gain, although it depends one which you'd be playing more, Hendrix... or Megadeth. If you're doin more Megadeth, a Peavey 6505 or one of the Mesas I mentioned would be good (the 6505 if you're lookin for a good amp but still want to have some cash left over). For more Hendrixy stuff... I'd look at possibly a Vox AC30 or even an AC50.

As for a cab; a Mesa, an Orange, a Port City, or even an Avatar 2x12. For the speakers, do research on Celestion/Eminence speakers. Decide which speakers are best for you based on what you find.

But those are only general suggestions. You have a LOT more options in that price range, with many different combos of heads and cabs. I still stand by ignoring the MA, or any Line 6s or Vypyrs. You can do much better than those for the money you're spending.
^+1 on the Mesa stuff, I just assumed TS was looking at British tones based on his original plan. Still great stuff though.

I don't see what the problem with getting a 4x12 is though. If you can afford the biggest and you know what you're getting into, I say let 'er rip.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
It all depends on what he does the most really. If he's doing more high gain stuff than crunch then I think any of those Mesas would be suitable. But if he's lookin to do more blues/classic rock, then perhaps an AC30 as I said. I personally would look at the Mesas, since they still have very passable cleans and can do teh Br00tz. Where as an AC30 will rape nearly any amp at cleans and light gain, but have trouble with cereal br00tz.

There's no problem with getting a 4x12, I'm just partial to quarter stacks That, and if TS goes for a Road King, a really good 4x12 won't be as easy to find as really good 2x12 with the money he's left afterward.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
^+1 on the Mesa stuff, I just assumed TS was looking at British tones based on his original plan. Still great stuff though.

I don't see what the problem with getting a 4x12 is though. If you can afford the biggest and you know what you're getting into, I say let 'er rip.

British tones would be included as well, I know it sounds impossible, but I'm looking for a half-stack that can do anything.
lol. in that case, you might want to look at a soldano. They aren't exactly british, but you can dial in a real nice british tone in a used hot rod. They are very rare, and I'm not 100% sure what they usually go for used, but if you can find one, at least look at it.

You could also look at some Orange heads, which are more british than a mesa would be. A Rocker 30 head with a matching cab would be secks. OR, if that's not enuff wattage for ya, a thunderverb. That would probably rape your wallet, and it would be fairly difficult to find used. Unless you go on Ebay. Or maybe Amazon even
Rocker 30s are sex, but Megadeath is a little difficult on one though.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
True, but TS needs to settle for something

He can't get a british and american sounding amp that can do everything from Hendrix to Megadeth/Pantera that will be GREAT at all those things. It's.... unreasonable.
Quote by CL/\SH
True, but TS needs to settle for something

He can't get a british and american sounding amp that can do everything from Hendrix to Megadeth/Pantera that will be GREAT at all those things. It's.... unreasonable.

Get Two amps.

Problem Solved!
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
^

Randall RM50. Load it with EL34's, put a JTM and SL+ module in it, and you're set. Get the head and modules used, and get the SL+ modded by Salvation Mods to be a Custom 3 (Megadeth tone in a box), and the JTM to be something like the Mash All for like 4 different marshall tones. Then get a Randall 2x12, or used Mesa 2x12 and you'll be set.

If you want BETTER cleans, check out the Clean, Blackface, or KH-1 modules.

Want even MORE versatility? Get the Salvation Mods LoneClean module to pair with your Custom 3 (or Mash All, since it does some killer MEgadeth tones, and at the flick of a switch can hit Hendrix), as the LoneClean can do pristine cleans, gritty texas blues, and with a uber drop tuned EMG equipped axe, can hit death metal territories when dialed right. Might need a noise gate for that though
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/MTS-Heads/
http://www.salvationmods.com/

Used you can get a RM50 head for around $700, but expect upwards to $850. Used stock modules are between $100-150 apiece and modded modules are $350 on average apiece. You can find some being sold on the Randall Forums now and then.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 16, 2010,
I suggest now, the Jet City JCA 100H. You Want Brit tone? Pop some KT88's in there. Along with the JCA cab, that should run you around $2000.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Dude - check your craigslist. I saw a Peavey JSX, Marshall JVM, Marshall JCM900, Mesa Boogie F50, stuff like that.

These were the 2 that jumped out at me the most. This is what I would be going after if I were you. The MA is a pile of poo.

Mesa Boogie Tremoverb head $1,000
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1867925992.html

Marshall JCM800 2203 $1,200
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1825791886.html

The Splawn Quick Rod suggestion is a good one too.
Quote by NosralTserrof
I suggest now, the Jet City JCA 100H. You Want Brit tone? Pop some KT88's in there. Along with the JCA cab, that should run you around $2000.

KT88s aren't traditional British tone machines.

TS, +1 to the Splawn suggestion. Also take a look at the Mesa Electra Dyne.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Half stacks are win, dunno why they get so much hate around here.

If I could carry a 4x12 in my car without taking up the entire trunk, I'd have one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.