I play mostly clAssic rock a little bit of heavy metal and punk. I've been looking at a tremolo Gibson skylark and it doesn't have an overdrive. If I ran it at full volume with a pedal would I still get the breakup or whatever? Sorry I'm a noob
you could get a distortion pedal, your neighbors would hate you if you played at full volume constantly just to get distortion
itll break up before full volume than especiallly with a boost or distortion
Well I think it's meant to be a clean amp but if I got an overdrive pedal would it be more or less the same as if it had a drive channel?
Quote by Slashestranged
Well I think it's meant to be a clean amp but if I got an overdrive pedal would it be more or less the same as if it had a drive channel?

Yeah, pretty much. For OD Pedals have a look at the Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret and Rothwell Hellbender.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I don't know this amp, but if you're looking for a tube amp and found one for $150, I'd say go for it if it works. That sounds like a steal, personally.

But again, I've never even heard of this amp...
Looking at the schematic, this amp will only distort when cranked up. You've got a volume control between two triodes, with a negative feedback loop which reduces distortion. If you want to use an overdrive to boost it the most you'd be able to do is drive the first triode(or first half of the preamp tube) at lower volumes. You'd have to turn up the volume to let more signal flow to the second triode and power amp to get more distortion. But, if you want to use an overdrive for adding distortion and not as a boost that will work just fine. But tube distortion at low levels will be hard to achieve. The amp looks like it only puts out 5 or 6 watts though, so you may be able to crank it enough. I guarantee cranking it will provide very sweet tones blues tones with sag from the tube rectifier.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read your first post well enough. This amp will distort and sound very good when cranked up, but it won't be a good sound for metal at all. Most of the crunch will come from the power amp, which is not tight like preamp tube distortion. Distortion in metal come from the preamp. You could use a distortion pedal to get metal tones, but this amp won't have very good headroom, so it'll be hard to get metal tones at higher volumes. This amp would be great for cleans, blues, and classic rock at higher levels, but it may not be versatile enough for what you want.

EDIT AGAIN: The sag from the tube rectifier will also be undesirable for metal and punk.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Slashestranged
Just to be clear, this amp will sound good distorted?

not on it's own (at least for punk/metal), but it will take pedals well. It should get a good classic rock/blue rock drive when cranked, though.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Slashestranged
How is a traynor tubemate 30 watt?

not good. most of the stuff traynor put out after the YBAs and YGMs were crap. the newer YCV are dece, though.

check your local craigslist for stuff. i'm sure you could find soemthing like a Blues jr. or a Classic 30 on there for cheap.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
not good. most of the stuff traynor put out after the YBAs and YGMs were crap. the newer YCV are dece, though.

check your local craigslist for stuff. i'm sure you could find soemthing like a Blues jr. or a Classic 30 on there for cheap.

can I get a second opinion on this? I was under the impression the traynor amps were pretty good
Quote by Slashestranged
can I get a second opinion on this? I was under the impression the traynor amps were pretty good

They are, well, some of them are. The first run of YBA bassmasters were like Plexis, and the YGA guitar amps are awesome too. but then Yorkville got too into PA systems and the like and started focusing on SS stuff. the Traynors of the 80's (like the one you were asking about) are not like the YBA/YGAs of the 70's.

nowadays, they have the YCV amps, which are pretty kickass. like the old Traynors, they are buiolt to last and sound awesome.

so, long story short, just like any amp company, Traynor has good and bad amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater