Page 1 of 2
tell stories of when u totally look like you dont know what ur doing, like ur playing a song on an acoustic guitar in front of people and half-way thru realize its out of tune, stuff like that. here's my story:

my older brother was visiting about a month or so ago. he's an excellent musician and i really respect him, i dont even have any idea how many instruments he knows how to play, right now he's the lead guitarist/back-up singer/percussionist/pedal-steel-guy in a pretty badass band. so i try as hard as i can to look like i'm not too far behind him (even though he's been studying jazz since he was a toddler and i haven't even had a gig yet), but every once in a while i'll something like "my band's covering "since we've been wrong" by the mars volta" and he'll be like "you wont be able to hit those high notes, and you're gonna sound retarded."

so he was in my garage checking out my drumset, and as soon as i heard his voice coming from the garage i was like "shitshitshitshitshitshit..." see, i have an excuse, but it only applies to the snare. my brother lent my snare to a friend of his and we only got it back the day after this incident. as for the rest of the set...i take horrible care of it. i went into the garage to see him and his girlfriend just standing around my drumset staring at it like "this is pathetic." he took my drumsticks, which were also pathetic and beaten to shreds, and did a little roll on the high-tom, then just started laughing, and his girl was like "that is just sad," because the tom actually moved as he used it and it sounded horrible. ive never tuned any drums and that tom was about to fall off the set too. then he looked at my high-hat. the stand of a high-hat is supposed to have a little nob that you can use to open and close it with in order to set-up ur high-hat the way you want it. well the nob fell off and the high-hat was actually stuck closed, and still is. here was a chunk out of the top cymbal that was just...out...not just a crack, a chunk had been taken out. he just said "this high-hat has had it," and his girl laughed. the floor tom also sounded completely horrible, and recently fell off, and the ride cymbal (the only cymbal other than the high-hat i have) had a pretty big crack in it.

well the next day, he got my snare and stand back, and the bottom of the snare was destroyed...perfect addition to that set, huh?

anyway, sorry that story was so long, your's can be long or short or whatever, have fun
Cool story br---

I have none other than that classic WTF WHY IS MY AMP NOT WORKING? *checks guitars volume knob*
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Cool story br---

I have none other than that classic WTF WHY IS MY AMP NOT WORKING? *checks guitars volume knob*

hah ive done that a million times with my bass, but luckily never in front of any1
"Dude didn't we tell you to tune to Eb for this gig?"
"Well that explain the epic amount of shit we just played"

SMILE!
Quote by Anthony1991
Cool story br---

exactly. Or I wire my pedals the wrong way. (Input into output and the other way around)
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I never finish playing RHCP songs, they always merge into another RHCP song and I don't even realize while everyone who's listening is going "wtf"
cat
Quote by Anthony1991
Cool story br---

I once did that... except my problem was I forgot to turn my amp on
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Once during a small gig of about 30 people I fell asleep behind the drumkit.

Never played drums properly since.
Quote by Aliasaria
Once during a small gig of about 30 people I fell asleep behind the drumkit.

Never played drums properly since.

that is the saddest story we will hear here...just because you dont play properly anymore, im sure we'll hear more embarrassing stories
The first time I joined a band was horrible. I was using PRS strings which went out of tune every 5 minutes, I'd only learnt one of the songs I was supposed to because instead of listing them they decided to smash the names of them together into a big portmanteau, and my tone was shit because I had a Fender frontman and hadn't realised that scooping the mids sounded like a hairy arse .
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
A couple of years ago, I was on stage once playing some metallica (badly) with some dudes and i was doing some big power chords and I missed the strings and more or less punched the bridge of my strat. I got blood everywhere and took half an inch of skin off of my little finger. I started hopping around sucking my finger and the rest of the band just kind of stopped. That was the end of that gig, and that band.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
A couple of years ago, I was on stage once playing some metallica (badly) with some dudes and i was doing some big power chords and I missed the strings and more or less punched the bridge of my strat. I got blood everywhere and took half an inch of skin off of my little finger. I started hopping around sucking my finger and the rest of the band just kind of stopped. That was the end of that gig, and that band.

Could be worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOF7_QChRg
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by TMVATDI
that is the saddest story we will hear here...just because you dont play properly anymore, im sure we'll hear more embarrassing stories

I've moved on guitar since. There are some bass stories I could post here, but they're a bit boring, to be fair. Mostly about getting drunk.

Still, guitar seems to be happening for me so I guess my loss from the drumming community isn't a big deal
Quote by Aliasaria
I've moved on guitar since. There are some bass stories I could post here, but they're a bit boring, to be fair. Mostly about getting drunk.

Still, guitar seems to be happening for me so I guess my loss from the drumming community isn't a big deal

i wish i could just like any instrument like that, ive formed a relationship with the bass, that instruments a friend of mine, drums are even better, they feel like an actual extension of me, then guitar...the guitar just makes me feel like shit when i play it, i cannot enjoy that instrument...
currently forming my opinions on ukele, piano, and harmonica haha
Idk, there were alot of things where we were just performing with our band, drunk, and subsequently started realising how much we'd actually sucked.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
"Dude didn't we tell you to tune to Eb for this gig?"
"Well that explain the epic amount of shit we just played"

Reminds me of a gig I played, supporting a local group.
My band leaves the stage.
Main act enters the stage.
Their second guitarist snaps a string a few songs in. He lacks a spare guitar, not to mention spare strings or the tools to work on his floyd.
He borrows my guitar (no problem here).
He plays in e-standard and doesn't realise my guitar is tuned to drop-d until I tell him (problem).

The worst things I have done is not bringing spare leads and dialing in too much distortion. I'm a bit boring like that.
Blew a tube on the first song of the set once. Didn't have a back-up. Luckily I had pedals that could run through the PA... Digitech saved my ass.

Tripped over my cable one time, fell into the drum kit during a party. All because I was making eyes at this girl. Ended up with a sprained wrist, but got "sympathy" later. Drummer was not pleased.

Our sound guy locked the keys in the van before setup.

Our drummer puked on a club owner. (No he wasn't drunk or high, he had the flu.) That gig never happened...
POOPY-TRIM!
Hmm, at home I plug my guitar into my tuner and start tuning. Nothing comes up on the strings. I'm definitely plugged in both ends, the tuner is on. It should work. Then I notice the volume's off and feel like an arse.

I've played a song in front of about 75 people once with a band and forgot there was a key change at the end of the song I don't think anyone noticed.

I've noticed my guitars been out of tune half way through a song.
I forgot a solo once. Tried to wing in by playing the Minor scale very quickly. The song was in E. I played the E sharp scale.
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Why isn't my amp working? Oh dear i've plugged my pedal in the wrong way around so the input goes into the output.
Last edited by josh999x at Aug 15, 2010,
As a beginning guitarist, I tried to tune to drop D. Instead of tuning it down, I tuned it up. String snappage ensued.
Quote by ratracekid111
I forgot a solo once. Tried to wing in by playing the Minor scale very quickly. The song was in E. I played the E sharp scale.

so you played in F...
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
so you played in F...

There is such thing as E Sharp in certain keys.
I once played a "show" at a bar of no more then 50 people. Me and my "band (only time actually playing together aside from one practice) got up on the stage well after everyone had been drinking, so about a quarter of them were mildly interested in what was going on. One of the songs we were gonna play involved a wah-wah pedal, so I plug that in as we're setting everything up. I turn on the amp and for one thing, the volume was WAY too loud, secondly, I plugged the cables into the wrong slot for the wah. If you've ever done that, then you know about the horrible whale mating sounds that comes from it.

Pissed drunk people are no fun.
Quote by JacobTheMe
There is such thing as E Sharp in certain keys.

Not in the key of E.

In F# i agree.
i'm Ginger its fun
We got on stage.
First song went of swimmingly.

Second involved us starting in a 7/8 with a pretty fast tempo. Drummer gets overexcited and plays at 2X. Bassist loses time, i lose time, Drummer then starts playing an 8, bassist a 9 and me a 7. Most polyrhythmic we've ever been.
Luckily, we all converged on the chorus in 8 and the rest of the track went fine.
We were too shocked to care.
Half way through a song, "Wait, what was I playing again?"

Happens alot...

Also I get alot of, "Fuck, I forgot the fucking bit..."
Last edited by robhc at Aug 15, 2010,
My fingers were just sticking to the strings the other day at the music shop. I didn't know what was going on..

Looked like i was being slow, i think it's because soap sometimes makes your hand really really grippy.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
During a 4 song set with my first band, everything was going fine. Covered Papa Roach - Last Resort and at this age everyones looking at me as if "How the hell can he play the lead for that?". Second song is an acoustic song that we wrote. I was wearing a top hat, and I sat on the edge of the stage right up to the crowd so I could speak to them during the song. I got huge reception for doing this. Third song we're covering Through Glass by Stone Sour. During the song my high E breaks. And I have no guitar to back it up, and I need that string for the next song! I'm panicing. When the song ends, I notice my other guitarist was putting the guitar down, he doesn't need it! So we switch songs... And I remember this is my dodgy guitar. I'm playing with a lot of distortion on this song, and I got a lot of feed back until I switch it to bridge pick up. Which made it sound muddy. No one noticed apparantly... The string that broke also cut me
I tried playing this in front of 20 friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

Easiest thing in the world right? No fancy rythms, just straight up strumming and a simple riff and solo. There are absolutely no parts I should be able to **** up.

Then I go ahead and completely misses the rhythm at the start of both verses. I was singing too mind you, so while I was singing correctly my guitar was in messed-up-land. The worst part of it is that no one really noticed, because no one was bowie or nirvana fans and they had never heard the thing before...
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
I quite often plug my lead into the headphone jack, it's because my old amp had the input on the right and my new one has the output there.

Oh and I snapped a string whilst playing 'Farewell Ballad' by Zakk Wylde. It looked like I'd bailed though and seeing as half the song was on that string I just gave up.

Oh and I was playing some Post-Rock kinda stuff and got carried away and started improvising, completely lost in my own world and not realising the people I was with had stopped playing.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
tuned up from drop-C to D-Standard for a song, and continued to play as if i was in drop-C, so every chord sounded like sh*t
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by guitarxo
I never finish playing RHCP songs, they always merge into another RHCP song and I don't even realize while everyone who's listening is going "wtf"

This. Whenever I play Funky Monks I end up playing Snow and vice versa.

Me, I'm just an unprofesional player in general.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Sparky-MMA
so you played in F...

Haha I just trumped my last other moment
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
I was playing a riff as a stand-in for a guitarist who broke a rib.

I got hit in the back by the bassist fell off stage and hurt my rib cage.

Sadly ironic.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Page 1 of 2