The thing is usually when someone says head voice, I thing about it like it should resonate in the mask of my face. This is what I was thought and what I think is correct, and basically 90% of my singing (except for some very low chest voice singing) I feel resonance in the mask and it's working for me pretty well.

Now, on the other side, some people say that for head voice the resonance should be more in the forehead, and for mixed voice it should be in the mask.
I tried this, and I can't sing anything with trying to let notes resonate in my forehead, when I try to sing in my head voice with resonance in forehead it usually flips to falsetto, and it sound so weak.

So when you say head voice what part of the head are you mostly referring to?

I vote for the mask, but I can be wrong
Last edited by Speedhand at Aug 15, 2010,
Resonance has to do with frequency, not location.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Resonance has to do with frequency, not location.

Surely chest resonance vs head resonance has to do with location?
I'm under the impression that "head voice" refers to sounds that primarily resonante in the head area rather than the chest. In practice, the head and chest are both used, all the time, it's just that you can change the texture of the note/frequencies introduced by singing primarily in one area rather than the other.

So it's not a specific part of the head, it's just using more resonance in your head rather than the chest.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
First of all, "head voice" is kind of misleading, because it creates the impression that the resonance should be exclusively in the head, whereas you should always be singing in "mixed" voice - or as I like to say, "full" voice.

It is mostly pretty easy to distinguish between full voice and falsetto, whereas using the terminologies of head voice and falsetto all of a sudden make everything seem less clear.

In full voice, you will always have some chest resonance and some head resonance. Lower notes will resonate more in the chest; higher notes will resonate more in the head, and everything goes by degrees in between.

Now, in terms of production, I don't know squat about falsetto. Mine is awful, and I never use it. All those statements are probably related.

However, from a "full voice" point of view, I'm not sure how you are going to feel resonance in your forehead. There's nowhere for the air to be to cause the vibrations that produce resonance.

There is air in your chest. That's obvious. Your sinus cavities (the top of which are just below your eyes and across your cheekbones, basically) are a natural resonating chamber in your head. Those two air cavities (chest and head) resonate and together - in varying proportions - produce your tone. Now, unless you have air in your brain cavity....

Let's compare this to a guitar (since this IS UG and all...) In an acoustic guitar, you have a natural resonating chamber in the body of the guitar. Suggesting that resonance can happen in the forehead is kind of like suggesting that resonance can happen in your headstock. Nope.

To run with that a bit... if you pluck the strings on the other side of the nut, between there and where they go around the pegs, you get that "plinky" sound. Maybe that's your resonating against the headstock... or more to the point, *lack* of resonance. Falsetto, maybe?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.