Hi,

I just got an old 80s Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp, which is very nice. I'm currently using it on the fx loop of my Marshall Valvestate. But I'm wondering what it would be like to run it through the fx loop on a Laney AOR tube combo.

If I run it on the FX loop of the Laney, then would the tone be much different, given that I'd be bypassing the Laney's distortion channel (which is meant to be excellent).

In short - is it worth upgrading?

Thanks.
A tube amp should already have a tube preamp. Unless it's some queer one, like a valvestate. In which case, it's not really a tube amp anyway.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
A tube amp should already have a tube preamp. Unless it's some queer one, like a valvestate. In which case, it's not really a tube amp anyway.

If you run the rockmaster into the FX return of another amp, you're bypassing its preamp entirely, meaning you're only using the amp as a power amp for the Rockmaster. If you really like the AOR's sound you could try running it in stereo with the Rockmaster, but you'd need a separate power amp.

The Valvestate, being a SS amp, doesn't have a tube power section, so there will be a big difference in sound between it and the AOR, especially the louder they get.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Right - so by bypassing both the AOR and the Marshall, I get more or less the same tone from the Rockmaster as a preamp?

Both the AOR and the Rockmaster are tube powered - the Marshall is not. But through running the Rockmaster through the Marshall, aren't I rendering the Marshall tube sounding?

Quote by Raijouta
If you run the rockmaster into the FX return of another amp, you're bypassing its preamp entirely, meaning you're only using the amp as a power amp for the Rockmaster. If you really like the AOR's sound you could try running it in stereo with the Rockmaster, but you'd need a separate power amp.

The Valvestate, being a SS amp, doesn't have a tube power section, so there will be a big difference in sound between it and the AOR, especially the louder they get.
Quote by Nostoi
Right - so by bypassing both the AOR and the Marshall, I get more or less the same tone from the Rockmaster as a preamp?

Both the AOR and the Rockmaster are tube powered - the Marshall is not. But through running the Rockmaster through the Marshall, aren't I rendering the Marshall tube sounding?

No, the power section of the amp has a big impact on the tone. It will sound different through the AOR than through the VS.
The Laney AOR is a genuine tube amp, but I was wondering if it would be enhanced with a tube preamp?

Quote by seemeel
It will be different, but not necessarily better. Just like a Fender Twin is different, but not necessarily better than, say, a Mesa Triple Rec.
Right, and presumably better?

Quote by TheQuailman
No, the power section of the amp has a big impact on the tone. It will sound different through the AOR than through the VS.