Page 1 of 2
..to spend.

Current Gear:

Tokai Love Rock LS75 - £500

Behringer GMX212 - £230

So, due to a convenient car accident back in 2002, I have compensation heading my way on my 18th birthday, which is next February. (Birthday money, wages, christmas money has all been included in the £6000).

I'm very interested in a USA PRS Tremonti model, they go for around £2200.

For an amplifier, I'm keen on a Blackstar Series One, or possibly a Mesa Boogie Rectifier? Thoughts on that guys?

I play a lot of Classic Rock (GNR, ACDC, Aerosmith) but I like a bit of bite to my tone, so if I ever venture into heavier realms my gear is capable of keeping up (Alter Bridge, Metallica, Dream Theater, etc).

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I'd definitely go with Mesa if you're also into heavier tones and bands like Dream Theater.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I would NOT blow all that money on guitars. Some maybe, but not all.

Get a Mesa/Boogie Road King 2x12 combo.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Push that Behringer down some stairs, at least you'll get some entertainment out of it. And I would definitely choose the Mesa.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The classic rock bands u listed used Marshalls(British voiced) while the heavier bands u listed uses Mesas(American voiced).

Since u mostly play classic rock, get something British voiced. I recommend a Splawn Quickrod. It's basically a hot rodded marshall JCM800.

For guitar, I recommend a PRS custom 24. Or maybe a 25th Anniversary sc245. I would go with the Custom 24 since u already have a Les Paul shaped guitar, but its up to u.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Last edited by holycow at Aug 15, 2010,
^ The Blackstar is British voiced.

@Mad Marius It only cost me £30. Bargain. It's a shit ton better than the MG15 it replaced too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCyhjHFvYVo - I love the tone from that. Gus G (Ozzy) uses a series one, and I love his heavy tone.
Mark Tremonti uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier, and his tone just blows me away every time. It's incredible.

Quote by seemeel
I would NOT blow all that money on guitars. Some maybe, but not all.

It's practically free money, there's nothing else I would spend it on. I get enough money from my wages to feed my nicotine, cannabis and partying needs.

I gig very often, so I'd like a reliable amp. I know everything at that price is reliable though.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
with that budget I would go for a bogner or a diezel!
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
6K is a lot to spend, you pretty much can have anything you want with that budget (barring very high end custom builds).

I'd actually go and play them. If I was spending 6 grand I'd want to play what I was buying and I'd let the shop know if they were reserved in anyway I wouldn't spend my money there. Hell, I spent 1K on high end cymbals and I went down to the shop and let them know I was spending a chunk of money and I wanted to play what I was interested in.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

with that much money you might as well get a custom build get for yourself they would pretty much cost 2k and with the remaining money you might aswell get the mesa boogie or an Orange amp
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Custom model guitar, if possible.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's British AND American, that's what the ISF is for. :shrug

Would that not make it a better suited amp for me, as opposed to a Marshall and Mesa, more of a blend between the two?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
Would that not make it a better suited amp for me, as opposed to a Marshall and Mesa, more of a blend between the two?

yeah the ISF would be very useful for ur situation. But try it out first. Dont just listen to it on youtube and buy. Infact go try out lots of other amps aswell. With the amount of money u're spending, buy what sounds good to YOU.

Also i should also point out that the Blackstar video link u gave is a Blackstar Series One 100 watt which has EL34 tubes. Gus G uses the Blackstar series one 200 watt which has KT88 tubes. They're going to sound a bit different.

Here's Gus G using it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBLoi9QOD0&feature=related
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
go test out some guitars, but i'm going to tell you right now to buy a Cornford MK50 II or a Hellcat head.
sounds like you`ve got several weeks to go and visit as many stores as possible, with that budget and don`t go for the 1st guitar you like, once you`ve decided on your guitar play as many of that model as you can `cos there will be slight differences in each guitar.......a personal injury claim is how i financed some of my gear..it sucks waiting for the claim to be resolved but what sucks more is the week waiting for the cheque to clear.
i'd still buy used dude,
much better value and could get something with more character...
you thought about 2 amps? as you listed differing tastes, mesa and a marshall jcm800..
Well you could spend a third of it and have an amazing guitar and amp and £4000 in cash at a time in your life when it's really nice to have extra money laying around, or you could spend all of it and have a slightly better guitar and amp. I'd go with the first one.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Oh, and one more thing. Look into boutique brands, and don't lay your money down until you are absolutely 100% certain it's the right guitar. (Don't even think about buying online without trying either.)

You can get a Chapman Guitars Ghostfret or a Suhr with cash like that. Not to mention there are tons of boutique amp companies with unique tones, it's a lot more interesting than getting a Mesa IMO . I know I'd rather have a Cornford, Badcat, Soldano or Budda than a big name brand.

Not to mention the price we pay for Mesa Boogie in the UK is absolutely ridiculous...
You win because you mentioned the ghost fret haha. Rob is the shit
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
1. How good a guitar do you think YOU NEED?

People just go on saying their opinions without pondering this obvious meta-level question first.

If you have basically unlimited amount of money, it doesn't really matter whether you spend 5000 or 500.

But, if you're one of us mortals who live a normal life never having an excess of cash, it does matter. You don't want to throw away money for something you don't need. You don't want a custom shop guitar unless you know how to appreciate it; the quality. Because if you can't, you just as well might get some cheap one manufactured in Asia.

Guitars are really easy to spend a lot of money on. And the good thing is that you often don't lose a sick amount of cash on the aftermarket - that is, if you decide to get rid of it. But expensive guitars are hard to sell!. This is why it's absolutely necessary to get the guitar you absolutely want for long term use.

2. What kind of expenses do you think you'll face within the next 10 years?

Okay, let's talk long-term. Without making any rash assumptions (such as whether you live at your parents etc.) I suppose you'll be spending a lot of £££ later on: propably on furniture, a car, rent, food, booze, electronics.

I'm just trying to say here that it's a shame to have a 2000£ guitar if it's hindering you from spending on other things. If you got your money-supply covered for years to come then good for you, I spose

And the classic one: you might fall severely ill

Oh, and this is not your mother talking. It's me, the common sense ->
(from the US so my prices may be slightly off)
With $9355, there is no exception to not try the gear you're buying. Keep in mind that it's going to be hard to find what you want.

With regards to guitar, I would suggest getting a custom guitar of a sort, or a guitar that you've tried and is perfect for you. Some suggestions would be:

PRS Custom 24
Bernie Rico Jr.
Parker Guitars
Blackmachine Guitars (However they have a 2 year waiting list)
Vigier (french maker)
Ibanez (only the really high end ones. Be skeptical about the signature models)

With regards to amps/rig/gear, I would suggest buying one or the following. The ones marked with a * are the ones I would personally get:

ENGL SE (6L6 or EL34)

*ENGL Invader

*Hughes and Kettner Triamp

*Axe FX Ultra as a Preamp and effects unit with a VHT (Fryette) *2/50/2 or a 2/90/2

Mesa Road King II

Mesa Mark V

In fact, you might like the Hughes and Kettner Triamp. I would try to check one of those out. One of the best amps on the market now.

Keep money for other accessories and stuff in mind.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
But 4k in the bank, you never know when you might need it.

then with two grand get a 2nd hand top of the line ibby or esp and a nice head for similar money,

just because you have this money doesnt mean you have to spend it on gear, trust me.

save some of it, have a nice holiday or something, dont waste it all.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Buy a Mesa Road King amp. They cover absolute everything, will last you your entire guitar-playing life and even if you ended up giving up guitar in ten years, it will be easy to sell on. They are the amp for "I've got a ton of money and play a bit of everything".

As for the guitar, if you are comfortable spending that much money on a single instrument then there is absolute no reason whatsoever to buy a branded guitar - go to a private luthier and have something custom made specifically for you. Even the PRS Private Stock, Gibson Custom Shop, Fender Custom Shop and so on can not come remotely close to how good a guitar will be that has been designed, from the ground up, to fit your hand specifically and your exact playing style, hand-crafted by an experienced luthier.
A smarter way to go though would be to save some of that money (or at least invest it) and spend just about two grand or so on a guitar, if not less. You can get a professional-quality guitar that will last you a lifetime from about £900 (Fenders, premade Felines, Green Label Fret Kings, second hand production Gibson or PRS, etc).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
My suggestion: go to guitar stores and try everything out. just because something is expensive doesnt make it automatically awesome.

by telling most stores how much you're wanting to spend, they'll be shoving you guitars left and right to play.

spend about half of it on the guitar/amp, save the rest. you WILL be glad you did it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I have a question for the TS,

First, I'm not going to bother recommending something since there's already tons of good recs and I couldn't honestly think of anything worth mentioning at this point.

Now, you have almost $10,000 to spend (not that you should spend it all) But that's enough to pay for your dream equipment. I mean it's enough to be on par with AcousticMirror's guitars and then some.

Why are you asking us for your single most expensive guitar-related purchase ever? I mean I guess if you're not 100% on it, but I dunno. If I had that kinda money I already know what I would buy (ESP Crying Star Rebel and a Mesa Mark V) , you know what I mean?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be asking for opinions, but I dunno it feels weird to recommend guitars that come outta my wet dreams.

/rant.

tl;dr Nonsensical ramblings of a 17 year old with no money.
I'd go for 2 guitars and a great amp.

If like me you wernt in the UK I'd recomend Carvin, but they put their prices up loads recently
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Cheers for the suggestions. I'm gonna head down to a high end guitar shop sometime soon and play a bunch, but i'd give anything to own a PRS, my heart is really set on one.

It'd have to be between a PRS SC250, Tremonti or Custom 24. I'm leaning heavily toward the Tremonti. I love the singlecut shape and the Tremonti has a trem which is something else I can play with and adds a degree of variation to my playing, as i've never really had one before.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
With that kind of budget?

I'd save 1/3rd, spend 1/3rd on the guitar, and the remaining 1/3rd on an amp and nifty boutique pedals (Moog! Red Witch! Pigtronix!).

And the guitar? Well, I have a wish list of several pricey guitars- a Vigier Surfreter, a Ruokangas, the new Moog guitar, a Parker Fly, etc.- but I'd probably spend that on a custom guitar from a luthier.

The reason is that you get exactly what you want. My last 4 acquisitions were all from Jon Kammerer a luthier in Keokuk, Illinois, near Chicago. I met him at the Dallas Guitar Show. While I love what I have gotten from him, all of the ones I own were "stock" models. I'd love to own something by him I had a hand in designing.

And doing something like that with the luthier of your choice could be quite the experience. It may just change the way you think about guitar simply because you'll have to think about every detail of the guitar you design.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Shredx
I'd go for 2 guitars and a great amp.

If like me you wernt in the UK I'd recomend Carvin, but they put their prices up loads recently

Eh...everyone's prices went up a bit recently. At least with Carvin, they discount their stuff frequently, and what you get is definitely worth the price. Great customer service, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Save your money, get some good deals by buying used and don't buy more then you need cause you'll regret it later. You can get a brand new guitar if you want, but get a used Mesa or whatever you're after and save your $$, especially in this economy. Blowing 6000 on gear if you're not a touring musician is just plain stupid.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I'd say the Tremonti or a Custom 24 and a Mark V would be an excellent choice that should last you forever. Anyway, I wouldn't spend it all on gear either. Just with that and a few toys you can play ANYTHING, there's no need to spend all of that money in my opinion.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Well if I bought the Tremonti and the Blackstar Series One 200 head with the matching A cabinet, that would set me back £4050 (I'm pretty sure that was the resulting number).

That leaves me with £2000 left. That's plenty left over.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Between the Tremonti and the Custom 24, I would go for the Custom 24. The Tremonti is nice, but you will probably at a point end up regretting NOT having 24 frets. It does have trem-up routing, and if that is more important to you, then so be it.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Between the Tremonti and the Custom 24, I would go for the Custom 24. The Tremonti is nice, but you will probably at a point end up regretting NOT having 24 frets. It does have trem-up routing, and if that is more important to you, then so be it.

I never use the 22nd fret. Ever. Nevermind the 24th.

Edit:
Tell a lie, I do use the 22nd fret. But that's only for the Knockin' On Heavens Door solo.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
buts whats to say in 5 years time your not into speed/shred metal?

peoples taste change all the time...

seriously dont spend 6k on gear.

you will regret it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
buts whats to say in 5 years time your not into speed/shred metal?

peoples taste change all the time...

seriously dont spend 6k on gear.

you will regret it.

Well if i'm into speed/shred metal in 5 years time, i'm sure the gear will cope.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
i don't see anything wrong with spending 6 k on gear if you can afford it. why not. shit i spent well over 10k on my hot rod. and i play my guitars more than i drive my ragtop.

buy right so you can re-sell later for no or minimal loss, and you should never have a problem.

but i do caution you that sometimes you don't have to. i've owned "great" gear that didn't work for me as well as "budget" gear. i.e. i prefer my tweaker and orange cab to my old soldano atomic 16. so all things within reason? if it sounds good use it?

that said, the tremonti is a great guitar, as is the DGT. you should try both of them.

and some suhrs, andersons, pretty much anything you can get your hands on.

but be honest with yourself in your decision making process is the best advice i can give you.

and good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 2