Hey there. I'd like some help at some specific weirdo powerchords.
Whenever i see them in a tab, i can't really get further because i don't really know how to mute/play those chords. An example could be:

D|-3------------------3--5------------------5--2-------------------2---8--|
A|-5--0-0-0---0-0-5--7--0-0-0--0-0--7--3---0-0-0--0-0---3--10--|
D|----0-0-0---0-0---------0-0-0--0-0-----------0-0-0--0-0----------

(Damn. That turned out pretty crooked)
So those inverted powerchords or whatever they are, what are they called, and how to i play those? Whenever i try i really struggle.
There might have been another thread about this, but since i don't know what they are called, it would take me a pretty long time to find a that thread.
Thanks!
3rd finger on the lowest string and index finger on the other 2 notes

/thread
My theory's been really really rusty recently, but as far as i can see it's a root with a minor 3rd interval. This is basically the same as a minor triad but without the 5th.
The way powerchords aren't minor or major because there's no third expressed, this is like the 'minor' powerchord version. Put a major 3rd in the make it a 'major' powerchord.

I don't get how you can't play them..
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Aug 15, 2010,
Those are 3rds; they're all minor apart from the C (3 2, which is C and E). I'd personally try playing them like you would a triad on the lowest 3 strings, but with the low D muted (NB: since this is drop tuning they won't sound anything like triads... the shapes are stolen from standard tuning; they're very useful things to have down):

D|-3--------------3--5----------------5--2------------------2--8---|
A|-5--0-0-0---0-0-5--7----0-0-0--0-0--7--3-----0-0-0--0-0---3--10--|
D|(6)-0-0-0---0-0(6)(8)---0-0-0--0-0-(8)(5)----0-0-0--0-0--(5)-(11)|

1st finger on the high(er) D, 2nd or 3rd on the A, pinky doing all the low D muting.
With what would be the Bb (8th fret) muted with the fretting hand over the 8th fret. Can be a bit weird to get the grasp of initially, but it's very handy and it helps a lot with finger independence. I'd be tempted to just mute the first one after the open D5s, if only for laziness. Might make a mess of your picking though, so do what you will.

I've always known an inverted powerchord as root and 5th, with the 5th in the bass. for example (note I've stayed in drop tuning here, standard would have an open bottom string for the dyad (diad?) below):

D-2
A-0
D-2

That's an inverted A5.

*edit* But for all the clarification, I appear to have forgotten the fingering... I'll just go fix that. It's in red.
Last edited by MopMaster at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
3rd finger on the lowest string and index finger on the other 2 notes

/thread

That's what i thought. But i use my index finger to mute the low E string. By doing this it has to be my third finger, which is find pretty hard, as well as using my index finger to mute the higher strings.
Why do you have to mute the low E? Just try picking more accurately?
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Yep, it's a minor third interval. You should be noting the notes being played, not the shape of the chord, as being an "inverted power chord". In fact, an inverted power chord, to me, would be something like

since then the fifth of the top note is in a way lower than the root note.

Your interval should give something which doesn't sound as pure as a power chord, but more sad sounding.

Playing it depends on context. I also don't know how you can't play them, I think you could use any two combinations of fingers to play them (if they are far enough up the fretboard). I usually use my 1st and 3rd as suggested above.
Last edited by Jamma at Aug 15, 2010,
I tried different fingering and muting. And yes. Muting is necessary for me, i havn't been playing for more than 2½ month. So i'm not accurate enough in my picking.
The way i felt most comfortable is using my third finger for the root note, and index finger for the other one. (Like some of you said) And then wrapping my thumb over the top to mute the low in this case D.
Quote by KrisHQ
I tried different fingering and muting. And yes. Muting is necessary for me, i havn't been playing for more than 2½ month. So i'm not accurate enough in my picking.
The way i felt most comfortable is using my third finger for the root note, and index finger for the other one. (Like some of you said) And then wrapping my thumb over the top to mute the low in this case D.

Instead of workarounds, you should practice your accuracy more.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
A powerchord would be a chord with the root + 5th.
An inverted powerchord is the 5th + the root.
What we have here are minor triads: the root+minor third.