Here's a little story you guys might find funny and actually read if you don't have ADD

When I first started playing a little over 2 years ago, I played elixirs, switched to ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms, then back to Elixir .11-.49s. Just yesterday I broke my B string so I found a local music store I have never been to due to the fact I just moved to Washington D.C. and I was looking for some elixirs.

I found the elixirs I wanted and while I tried to pay for them, the guy recommended me D'Addario EXL115's or the Bright .11-.49s. I asked some questions and I didn't really mind to hear him out because he was selling me "cheap" strings not some Line 6 Spider

Anyway he told me I could get two packs and it would be the same as a pack of elixirs, but if I was set on elixirs he would ring me up. He just wanted to give me his recommendation, which I respect. I thought it couldn't hurt so I got two packs. Little did I know my total was $23. Yes, $11.50 for each set of strings, elixirs were $22. My mouth instantly dropped.

I told him that in hawaii, elixirs were $11 and he said, "Wow, but you know taxes are pretty high in D.C." I was too stupid to catch this and just walked out. I'm pretty sure taxes are NOT 100% of the regular price.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to the store and get a refund for the 2nd pack of strings, and also never shop for strings there ever again. What a rip off.

I've been happy using .11-.49s and I might just go back to elixirs but what string brands would you guys recommend for me? I like elixirs because they do what they say, they last long, and don't lose tone as quick as uncoated strings.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Last edited by RocknRory at Aug 15, 2010,
I've never seen Elixirs for less than like 19 bucks, anywhere

I dunno, I use Dunlop Electrics mostly, sometimes I'll switch to D'Addario's or Ernie Balls.

I'm always in standard tuning though, so
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I love super slinkys.

Elixirs are ~$25 in Australia.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Ghs carlos santana big cores. purely because of the tone, the tuning stability, and with some fast fret they last just as long as any other string.
^ what the dump?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by drgoogs32
I use D'Addarios
Iam on my second set the first lasted a bit under 2yrs

u played on the same strings for 2 years?????!!!!

your supposed to replace them every few weeks...
My friend has been playing with the same strings on his classical guitar for like 10 years. Is it different with classical guitars? Hmm...
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I found a cool website called:

http://www.stringthis.com

apparently you can buy bulk packs of strings and they are all pretty cheap, I think I might order some!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by rickyj
u played on the same strings for 2 years?????!!!!

your supposed to replace them every few weeks...

ACtually its once every 6 months
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209

no, it's about every two weeks.
$11.50 for a pack of D'addarios? I get them for 6.50 a pack and that's on the expensive side...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by adj209
It's about two weeks to a month depending on how much you play. I typically go two weeks, maybe three if I don't have any gigs, but they typically don't even last more than a month before breaking.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Anyway... I used to use Dean Markley Niceklsteels. Worked nice. Never tried Elixirs.

Switched to DRs and there was always one string that buzzed...

Working with Dunlop Heavy Cores now. Don't have an amp but acoustically they seem mint.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I just ordered 7 sets of GHS Boomers .11-.50 for $3.55 a pack. Talk about savings .... I think I'll try the Sub Zero boomers next. has anyone tried them or Dean Markley Blue Steels? How are they?

I still can't believe I got a pack of D'Addarios for $11, I need to find the receipt or I'm out of the cash!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory