Page 1 of 2
Hey, i got an Epiphone Les Paul the other week from ebay, as the colour i wanted was discounted a few years ago (i think? (Wine Red)) and there are some difference between mine and my mates, so i have a feeling it might be a fake or i hope its just a new or older model..

Here are some pictures..

My Guitar..

My Mates Guitar..

As you can see there are some slight differences such as the screw in the scratch-plate is more central on my mates guitar and also the tuning knob on my mates guitar is closer to the hardware on the guitar.

Here they are side by side..

If anyone could let me know if these differences occur a lot or mine or my mates is a fake, i would be very greatful!

thanks,
Oakley Moffatt
Do you enjoy playing yours? Does it feel good in your hands? If so, who cares? It's not like we're talking multiple thousands of dollars here. If you like it, be happy with it. There isn't much business in counterfitting Epi's though either. But yes, I would check the serial number
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Do you enjoy playing yours? Does it feel good in your hands? If so, who cares? It's not like we're talking multiple thousands of dollars here. If you like it, be happy with it. There isn't much business in counterfitting Epi's though either.

This, but the fact is you paid for an Epiphone not a fake.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood
This, but the fact is you paid for an Epiphone not a fake.

Paid for the name? Sometimes fakes are just as good if not better. SOMETIMES I should say.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Get a picture of the headstock, that might make it easier to identify.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.

If you can see the screw on the pickguard, it resembles your's more than your friend's. I wouldn't believe it's a fake, but headstock pics and serial numbers would help.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Do you enjoy playing yours? Does it feel good in your hands? If so, who cares? It's not like we're talking multiple thousands of dollars here. If you like it, be happy with it. There isn't much business in counterfitting Epi's though either. But yes, I would check the serial number

Wheere have you been, man? There is definitely business in counterfietting Epi's for the very reason you mentioned people don't think anyone would bother doing it, theres plenty of 'em coming outta China.

On topic, take more pictures and post them here or email them to Gibson who are usually happy to point out fakes.
SMILE!
Epiphones are propably made in several factories (maybe even several countries, South Korea and PRC?) so slight variations might apply. But let's look at the headstock and serial.

Try posting on Epiphone/Gibson forum as well.
I doubt its a fake man as was said above epiphones are made in a variety of factories so chances are the guitars just made in a different factory with a slightly different pickguard.
And most China fakes are really really obvious.
doesn't look fake.

an epiphone fake? that's like trying to rip off a squier or something.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Guitar Dater project isn't a valid method of verifying guitars. Yes, it can tell you the details of a known authentic guitar, but it and other sites like it are used to help generate valid reading serial numbers.Epi's have been counterfeited quite a bit as published by Epiphone in press statements. These are either "seconds' smuggled out of the factory (ie guitars that should've been destroyed) or made elsewhere to look like Epis. Thyese will have cheaper knockoff hardware, PUs and may be inaccurate in design enough to render them barely playable.
The position of the VOl & Tone contros is usually where these knockoffs miss the mark, logo positioning as well and the control cavity covers are often symetrical vs offset.

Edit: Bolded some statements in the hopes people would read them!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Aug 15, 2010,
^thank God you posted.

when guys spout off nonsense about epis not getting faked,
or saying, well fakes play better anyway, i want to smack them on the head.

fakes are fakes because corners were cut. sometimes huge corners in hardware,
electronics and quality control.

TS did you buy from a reputable seller? someone private and not a chinese store?
do they have a great rep on ebay?

have you opened the control cavity and looked inside?

pot and headstock decal placement need to be compared.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i got this:
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
June 2008
Production Number: 03415
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood
i got this:
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
June 2008
Production Number: 03415

none of that matters if they took a serial number from a real epi and added it to this guitar.

i'm not saying this one is faked.

but i am saying that he needs to open the control cavity,

and look at the headstock placements if he has concerns about the seller.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The whole Cavity so we can see the insides and the shape of the cavity itself.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The whole Cavity so we can see the insides and the shape of the cavity itself.

what panel is that? there are 2 on the back..
you can take them both off if you want.

the larger one will be more telling, as it covers the pots.

you want to make sure there's not a mess in there.

compare it to your friend's guitar too if you can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you can take them both off if you want.

the larger one will be more telling, as it covers the pots.

you want to make sure there's not a mess in there.

compare it to your friend's guitar too if you can.

I think its a real Epiphone.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Nope, it's definitely suspect. Sorry TS!
First the Vol/Tone control locations & alignment were off.
Now I can see the control cavity cover is symetrical not offset!
These are 2 tell tale signs of a knock off.
Moving on.....
The control cavity of my Epi Les Paul Standard looks slightly different from both of those and I know mine is real. I think yours and your friends are both real too. The slight differences are just because they have been made in several different factories over the years. I also have 2 Epi Explorers and the pickguard from one won't fit the other one. The small differences are normal for Epi's.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The control cavity of my Epi Les Paul Standard looks slightly different from both of those and I know mine is real. I think yours and your friends are both real too. The slight differences are just because they have been made in several different factories over the years. I also have 2 Epi Explorers and the pickguard from one won't fit the other one. The small differences are normal for Epi's.

Yeah thats what i think as well.
The cavity plastic covers aren't done by hand guys, they're from a template so they should all be the same. The outline of the template is supposed to be offset so that the plate can only fit in one way.
You're also ignoring the alignment of the vol & tone controls on the front of the guitar which are CNC'ed so they should all be the same. If you draw a line thru the centre of the tone control and continue thru the centre of the Vol control (for same PU) and extend the line towards the neck, you should end up with a line that is parallel to the fingerboard and not canted off to the side. Both control sets should also be paralle to each other.
I'm not saying it's definitely a fake but these indicators are something to consider.

BTW I believe Unsung in Korea and Quindao in China for possible factories, that's 2.
Moving on.....
The plastic control cavity covers on my 2 Epi Explorers are also slightly different from each other and can't be swapped between the 2 guitars. My Goth Explorer is a 2002 and was made in the Unsung factory and my Korina Explorer is a 2006 model and was made in the Saein factory. I also want to point out that when I ordered my diamond plate pickguard from Sharp Concepts I had to trace my stock pickguard and mail it to them because he said due to Epiphones being made in so many different factories, pickguards are slightly different depending on where it was made.
Quote by KenG
Check this thread out. Look at the headtsock details and control alignment.

<http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/31153-fake-epiphone-thread-ii.html>

Then tell me what you think.

The last line in the first post of that thread says this:
Remember: **THIS THREAD'S INFO APPLIES TO CHINESE MADE EPI'S ONLY**

I just wanted to point that out because the TS is comparing his Chinese LP to his friends and we don't know where his friends was made. It could be Korean.
Here's the stuff that looks out and out wrong. (Forgetting about the cavity cover for now)

The Control alignment is shown with the white lines and it's way off
The location of the pickguard screw is too close to the lip of the pickguard
The headstock Diamond Inlay is too low and actually runs into the washers used for the tuners.
Looking at the Gibson website for a recent Quindao product (LP CUstom) these differences are more apparent,
Attachments:
CONTROLS.jpg
HDSTOCK.jpg
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG

BTW I believe Unsung in Korea and Quindao in China for possible factories, that's 2.
Not even that. Epiphones haven't been made in Korea since the end of 2004, they're now only made in China bar a couple of the really cheap models which are made in Indonesia.

Anyway. The easiest way to spot a fake these days is to look at what brand of pots the guitar is using. Epiphone do sometimes use unbranded pots, but most of the time they use a mixture of JS and Alpha pots. The average Epi has one Alpha pot, one JS pot and one unbranded pot; sometimes they crop up with two Alpha and two JS or three Alpha and one JS, but you'll never get a legit Epi with more than one unbranded pot. Most of the fakes use unbranded pots though. So, if you look at the controls and more than two of the pots are unbranded, you know you'e got a fake. Of course just having branded pots doesn't gurantee that the guitar isn't a fake because there are a small number of fakes going around with Alpha pots, but not having branded pots does indicate a fake.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^^ You're correct of course MrFlibble about new guitars only being from CHina, I was just pointing out that there weren't that many factories ever making Epis.
Moving on.....
Gibson opened the Quindao plant some years ago (02) as it's sole manufacturer in China. There was a big press release on it. Any other Chinese plant would've been before that date. You're still ignoring the physical evidence that's right in front of your eyes. Either that or you refuse to believe despite Gibson/Epiphone releases to the contrary that there are counterfeits out there and plenty of them. For Gibsons, these are flagged on MLP almost daily and Ebay is the worst place to buy a guitar for this.

<http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=868>
Moving on.....
i have now confronted the ebay seller, and have asked for a full refund, and am now waiting for a reply..
I didn't notice that you bought that off Ebay but it figures. Good for you & good luck. I believe Ebay has to stand behind these sales if the seller vamooses.
BTW Epiphone (& Gibson) dropped it's prices recently here in Canada. On thee LP stnadard it was almost $70CAD or approx 10%. Buying used can net you a good deal with appropriate care and knowledge but can also lead to headaches. The EPis aren't that expensive to begin with so you're not saving a ton of money going used.
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 2