Greetings, everyone.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster, and I'm looking for some advice. It's been a long time since I've 'seriously' played electric guitars; my experience with them is certainly not to the level of many of you, but please hear me out before condemning.

Growing up, I was very passionate about playing. We never had money as a kid, so my first was a makeshift lefty from a garbage acoustic guitar I picked up in a yard sale; eventually I scraped together enough for a crappy Squire amp and a Yamaha Pacifica electric and played the crap out of it. Always, I had wanted a Jackson; Megadeth were (and still are) a huge inspiration to me, and I would drool at the old ads of Marty and his signature model...

Anyways, fast forward to today. I now have some money, and decided that I owe it to myself to indulge the passion of mine once again. As I start shopping around, you can imagine my rage when I found out KE-2/KE-3 type Jackson's (unless I'm misinformed!) simply do not exist in lefty, my only option being a Dinky. So, I am now on the hunt for a new guitar, and I throw myself to the mercy of the experts here. I'd prefer a modern/sharp explorer/K-V shape, but it's obviously less important then the sound. I'm hoping for a Mustaine/Friedman type sound, a sustainy, fast actioned metal guitar that is left-handed and around 700-1000 dollars, give or take. An amp isn't so important right now, as I would prefer to invest in a great body I will always have. I am excited to immerse myself back in the music playing I missed so much, and am hoping you all may be able to point me in a suitable direction. As I understand, Dave is currently playing Dean's and Marty Ibanez.

Thanks again for your time. I hate being a lefty.

- Jeremy
Last edited by jclayphoto at Aug 16, 2010,
Heart touching story man. I remember having a squier til I was old enough to get a job. Take a look at some ESP models as well. I know they make some good lefties
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
In regards to the lefty thing, it may be too late but someone shoulda just forced you to play righty. I'm a left hander who uses tools with his left (knives, forks, spoons, punching) but I play right-handed anyway.

I think there was another thread about left-handedness and someone stated that when you start off with guitaring, youre unco-ordinated either way, so its a blank slate for you to start on.
I've heard similar as well. I'm actually right handed for many things - hand writing, baseball pitching, etc - but I bat left, shoot with a hockey stick left, and kick with my left foot. I have played about 5 years lefty, so I'm pretty set in my ways...sitting here trying to 'air play' right handed just feels off. :S
Quote by Arterial
In regards to the lefty thing, it may be too late but someone shoulda just forced you to play righty. I'm a left hander who uses tools with his left (knives, forks, spoons, punching) but I play right-handed anyway.

I think there was another thread about left-handedness and someone stated that when you start off with guitaring, youre unco-ordinated either way, so its a blank slate for you to start on.

same here. when i started to play back in the late 70s lefty guitars were just plain non existent. i did the jimi flip it thing but eventually started over right handed. when you're a lefty you kind of are stuck with the table scraps. good luck with the search.
Hello AGain,

Thanks all who responded. I ended up going with a Schecter BlackJack V1 as seen here http://www.amazon.com/Schecter-BlackJack-Electric-Guitar-Gloss/dp/B001RIZ2ES (I did not pay this price nor buy it here, though). I figure the construction, SeyDuncan's that 'old' MArtry/Dave used to run, will be pretty close to what I want - if I'm still as impassioned playing in 5 years, I will talk to Jackson custom and see what they could build me. Thank you again!
Good old Schecter, what would we do without them.

PS, Don't hate being a lefty, embrace the lefty-ness! Research shows that playing any way other than the way your brain is wired will only hinder your playing. If a company is too small minded (or cheap) to make a few of their guitars left handed, look elsewhere..screw em. Companies like Schecter, Carvin, Taylor, Tom Anderson etc can have my business over these money hungry brands. Besides, do you really want to associate yourself with companies who happily discriminate against 10% of the population?

I'm a lefty and I'm happy as mud. It's nice to be different. I feel sorry for normies sometimes, the G.A.S must be unbearable!
ahahaha Thanks for the support. Will post areview when it arrives, I'm expecting great things.
Quote by LeftyFretz

PS, Don't hate being a lefty, embrace the lefty-ness! Research shows that playing any way other than the way your brain is wired will only hinder your playing. If a company is too small minded (or cheap) to make a few of their guitars left handed, look elsewhere..screw em. Companies like Schecter, Carvin, Taylor, Tom Anderson etc can have my business over these money hungry brands. Besides, do you really want to associate yourself with companies who happily discriminate against 10% of the population?

I'm a lefty and I'm happy as mud. It's nice to be different. I feel sorry for normies sometimes, the G.A.S must be unbearable!

dude it is, although I must say I want a left handed guitar to flip over and play righty just to screw with peoples heads.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by LeftyFretz

Michael Angelo Batio would like a word with you. As would Eric Gales and Doyle Bramhall II.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Michael Angelo Batio would like a word with you. As would Eric Gales and Doyle Bramhall II.

Don't know why they'd want a word with me, ain't my research, i'm just relaying the facts You want to point them in the general direction of the National Institute of Sports and Physical Education in Paris for a start.

Besides, who's to say MAB and co. aren't playing the right way around? Just because someone is right handed doesn't mean they are automatically predisposed to play guitar right handed and vice versa. The human body is a complex thing, everyone is unique.
dude...i love megadeth with a passion...ive been looking for a guitar to get their sound as well......after spending loads .......i still havent hahahaha. i guess its in the type of amps ........someones ages and ages ago told me it was a rocktron unit he used.......
Quote by rajandmaria
dude...i love megadeth with a passion...ive been looking for a guitar to get their sound as well......after spending loads .......i still havent hahahaha. i guess its in the type of amps ........someones ages and ages ago told me it was a rocktron unit he used.......

www.davemustainerig.com
i just read the costs....21000buck-a-roonies to get his sound????? its my birthday in october..whos feeling generous?
Quote by jclayphoto
Thanks..I was also debating a Gaskell custom Kelly-like 'Brumby' http://www.gaskellguitars.com/models/53.html and perhaps swap in a set of Duncans...though I am completely unfamiliar with this make of guitar, so I am a bit skeptical. I'll wait and see what the Jackson custom people have to say...

What did Jackson say?
Quote by LeftyFretz

... and then there is GASKELL GUITARS http://www.gaskellguitars.com that makes left handed guitars and basses only. Support those who support you.