So I spent some time talking with the tech at my local shop. He's the guy that I use for amp mods and set ups etc.

We were talking about EVH and stuff and he said something that i found kinda interesting. He stated when they were re-making the frankenstrat a few years ago (the $25K GC thing) they tested every electronic function, tolerance, etc. (i'm not an EE so pardon my improper verbiage here).

He stated that one of the coils on the bucker wasn't working correctly, one coil was much weaker than the other. This got his mind spinning because he always thought that there was some singlecoil-esque quality to eddie's tone.

Soooo, here's what he did.

He took a JB and 59, and split them in half. then connected one coil from the JB to one coil of the 59. The JB is hotter than the 59 so the result is an unbalanced bucker.

Before you ask, yes, it has some noise due to this. less than a normal single coil though, i'd say about half.

I played it for a while in his guitar and i was

To my ears an unmoledsted JB is a bit of a muddy pup really. sorry could just be my ears, i'm old. This removed the mud from the equation and added clarity. (and a little hum as said when not playing, but simply holding the strings canceled that).

I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and what the outcomes were?

I'm on the lookout now for a set used on clist to have him do this to.

DON'T read into this that i am trying to get a "EVH" tone from doing so because I'm not. It just created a tone and response I haven't experienced and it's cool to have something unique to your tone IMO.

/inb4coolstorybro
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sounds pretty cool i might have to try something like this!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I took an old JB i had lying around and connected the North and the South magnets each to their own volume and tone pots. the wiring was the single coil equivalent of a Les Paul only instead of selecting which pickup with the three way togle, i used it to switch between which poles I wanted to use. It was nice because I could cut the volume on one coil and it would sound like a single coil or crank them both for a humbucker sound. But on the other hand, I could set them both at different volumes and tweak with the tone knobs to come up with some cool sounds. EVH might have been doable.
Sounds pretty interesting. I havent and probably wont try anything like this because i am useless at such things.

The fascinating thing with EVH was even though he did a lot of techy things he really wasnt all that great at it and alot of people try to copy his little screw ups to every little detail to get his tone. Although i know you werent going for ed and this was just an experiment

I always though the JB was more of a shrill pickup then muddy but i can see either way how a jb59 frankstein could improve the tone of it and make something unique.
Quote by jdrier21
I took an old JB i had lying around and connected the North and the South magnets each to their own volume and tone pots. the wiring was the single coil equivalent of a Les Paul only instead of selecting which pickup with the three way togle, i used it to switch between which poles I wanted to use. It was nice because I could cut the volume on one coil and it would sound like a single coil or crank them both for a humbucker sound. But on the other hand, I could set them both at different volumes and tweak with the tone knobs to come up with some cool sounds. EVH might have been doable.

I am going to give doug (the tech) this information. I think you may be on to something really cool here.

and now i need to find an old single bucker guitar to bastardize in this manner.

thanks a ton for posting.
i think the bareknuckle vhII uses mismatched coils (most of them do, but the VHII has the biggest mismatch i think). I think a lot of the dimarzios do, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You know what I always thought eddie had a hint of a single coil vibe in his tone but I never gave it a thought cause I always saw him use hbs very interesting bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
How about one coil of a JB or Custom and one of an Invader?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I know others do that, too. Namely Bareknuckle and I think Amber (don't think the latter is available in the States). The manufacturers who do this don't go for a drastic difference like with the JB/59 combination though. I mean, in this case, one coil would have twice the dc resistance of the other.

And your ears are just fine. The JB is only good (well, kinda) in ash guitars. It's tolerable in alder and shite when talking about mahogany. Worst LP pup ever, why everyone sticks them in LPs is beyond me.
^The conflicting reports i've heard about the jb is interesting. I've heard some people say they're muddy and only work in bright woods yet other people have said they're unbearably bright and will only work in darker woods like lps.
Eh who knows!
They've got a nasty upper midrange spike in addition to being generally honky to my ears. Ash kinda works against that, but mahogany adds honkiness and a maple cap can make the spike worse.
Quote by TheQuailman
The manufacturers who do this don't go for a drastic difference like with the JB/59 combination though. I mean, in this case, one coil would have twice the dc resistance of the other.

and that's the thing. the difference in the EVH guitar was drastic. like i said, he wasn't going for his tone straight out as much as some of the qualities of it.

doug (tech) only picked those two pups because he had them laying around collecting dust.

fwiw, the guitar he has them in is a warmoth ash body HSS strat.

i didn't try to get any VH out of it. I only played it clean through a 71 super reverb.

it sounded great.
Quote by coolstoryangus
^The conflicting reports i've heard about the jb is interesting. I've heard some people say they're muddy and only work in bright woods yet other people have said they're unbearably bright and will only work in darker woods like lps.
Eh who knows!

i've heard them sound a lot different in supposedly similar guitars- that might be where it comes from.

Also, I have one in an edwards les paul- it manages to be both a bit bright and too muddy (and also has the mid spike going on). so that might be it too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i hadn't heard of someone customizing pups like that tho, or that the eh one was a drastic mismatch.

^ maybe that's why people go for paf's for the eh tone?
any thoughts on what would happen if I mixed up the coils on any of these 4 pup combinations?

'59
Invader
Custom Custom TB11
Burstbucker

Or Greg - do you have pups you want to trade? Honestly I'm looking for of a metal bite.
311 - i bet the '59 and custom custom would be an interesting match up. if you send them both to me i can have doug re-mate them and send them back. i don't think they'd be my pick for metal though.

for metal shouldn't you put a EMG in your Schecter C-1? that's what i heard in EG.

you played my bare knuckles, what did you think of them?
^people blend the two all the time on the SD forums.

Also, the JB mid spike is truly nasty. Stick a C8 (which will get you a duncan distortion) or an A2 in there though and it's a good pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There's like a billion page thread on this on the Seymour Duncan forums
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by coolstoryangus
Eh who knows!

In Alder, they're super bright. In mahogany, they are more balanced.

I like JBs though, I've never gotten a muddy tone out of them unless it was the amp's fault. Can't stand the '59 or Jazz at all though, TBH, I'm not much a fan of any neck pickup I've ever tried
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheQuailman
^Typical br00tz kid.

Actually - I like the neck pickup in my PRS, the Dragon II works well in there. Neck pickups are usually just muddy and too "fat" sounding. I want an aggressive sounding neck pickup, but have still yet to find one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Actually - I like the neck pickup in my PRS, the Dragon II works well in there. Neck pickups are usually just muddy and too "fat" sounding. I want an aggressive sounding neck pickup, but have still yet to find one

I know for 7-strings Rockmonkey has their Classic 7, which is basically 2 single coils wired in series, made to be a 7 string pickup with 6 string response Maybe he can make you a 6 string equivalent

Have you ever tried a DiMarzio D Activator neck pickup? They're aggressive as hell.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 16, 2010,
I dunno about you guys, but the 59 seems way too boomy as a neck pickup in an LP. I mean, I love it in alder 25.5 inch scale guitars but in my LP the bass is just ridiculous. That being said, anything is better than Epi stock clunkers.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Shinozoku
I know for 7-strings Rockmonkey has their Classic 7, which is basically 2 single coils wired in series, made to be a 7 string pickup with 6 string response Maybe he can make you a 6 string equivalent

Have you ever tried a DiMarzio D Activator neck pickup? They're aggressive as hell.

Interesting, maybe I'll shoot him a PM/Email. I've not tried the DiMarzio, might give that one a shot too, since I'm sure I could find one at a cheap price

Quote by oneblackened
I dunno about you guys, but the 59 seems way too boomy as a neck pickup in an LP. I mean, I love it in alder 25.5 inch scale guitars but in my LP the bass is just ridiculous. That being said, anything is better than Epi stock clunkers.

Yeah, that's why I don't like most neck pickups. All my guitars are mahogany and they sound boomy as hell (and I usually don't even have the bass set past noon on my amps).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting, maybe I'll shoot him a PM/Email. I've not tried the DiMarzio, might give that one a shot too, since I'm sure I could find one at a cheap price

Yeah, that's why I don't like most neck pickups. All my guitars are mahogany and they sound boomy as hell (and I usually don't even have the bass set past noon on my amps).

it's like it needs a little less bass and some more treble... hm. I really like the D-Sonic I have in the bridge position (rail towards the bridge). Clear and ballsy as ****-all.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by forsaknazrael
true PAFs are known to have uneven windings.

The exact ratio is unknown, to me at least, but various builders have their own take on it. I know my Silverbacks are slightly uneven.

i think it was random. they (as far as i know) wound the bobbins separately and then randomly put two together.

EDIT: i quite like the '59 in my edwards, it's not what I'd put in there if I'd had free choice of any available pickup on the market, but for a stock pickup on a reasonably-priced guitar it's pretty nice. I like the jazz in my bc rich mockingbird too, though it could do with a bit more sparkle for cleans (and that's in a maple neck-thru guitar with ebony board ), but the lead tones are pretty nice. Again I wouldn't put one in by choice, but as a stock pickup, it's nice enough not to rush out and change.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Shinozoku
There's like a billion page thread on this on the Seymour Duncan forums

cool, but i've never been there. i'm guessing a few other UGers haven't as well.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm not much a fan of any neck pickup I've ever tried

have you played a yamaha sg or sbg? i'm a fan of those pups.

i also am quite fond of my underwound nailbombs.