I have an Ibanez RG470 which is knackered.

There's a crack up the length of the body that goes through the top trem stud and up to about the bridge HB screw. There's also a little bit of damage at the headstock joint which doesn't seem too bad and is hopefully only a minor repair. The guitar landed on the trem arm when dropped and that's what caused the damage to the body.

Having being GASsing for a non tele-like tele for a while and considered a partscaster, I've thought about repairing/customising the Ibanez if only to get me used to playing about with the nuts and bolts. Hopefully, i'll have a functional and quirky instrument at the end of it but if not then there's nothing lost.

My thoughts at the min are doing this:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

then adding a hardtail. The idea of a tele bridge is appealing at the min if only to confuse the shredders.

Anyone got any ideas/tips etc?
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Here's some pics of the damage.

The guitar landed on the trem where the arm socket is and it looks like the pressure moved the top stud and made the split. It's bigger than I remember but I'm hoping it's not too deep. At the trem cavity it looks like it is about 2cm so I'm assuming it's about that thick at the strap button.

Current thinking is that we will have to cut out the chunk where the split is and replace it with a strip.

The neck is shown with pressure applie to the headstock. With no strings on, the cracks are barely visable.
Attachments:
phpmFzW84AM.jpg
phpmNyawHAM.jpg
phptDHoFBAM.jpg
Got it:
So what your planning is.
Refinishing
Adding a hardtail tele style bridge
Fixing the neck/headstock
??

REFINISHING: Invader Jim has a cool tutoriol. The link is the essential links thread. Project guitar also has a few tutorials.

HARDTAIL: Seems relatively easy.

NECK/HEADSTOCK: Some glue and clamps should fix it.
Quote by salgala2000
So what your planning is.
Refinishing
Adding a hardtail tele style bridge
Fixing the neck/headstock
??

That's it pretty much. Cheers for the links. Big help.

I'm going to strip back the finish round the split and see what needs doing to fill it. My main concern at the min is whether I need to use the same sort of wood to fill the trem cavity with so that the tone doesn't go weird.
Got it:
It's not going to make much of a difference. Biggest concern would be getting the tightest fit possible, making sure you fill the holes with wood putty, making sure it's glued on right. And making sure it's completely flat because if not it will be visible when it's painted.
Best way to fill the trem cavity is with a block or a couple blocks of wood cut to fit as exactly as possible. Trying to fill that large of an area with wood putty or bondo will not yield pleasing results. Neck will likely need to be doweled. The body crack doesn't concern me: simple glue and clamp.