I've just started doing research, but I've borrowed two different basses in the past and they were both active and I hated them for it (worrying about batteries dying, insanely hard to remove the covers, etc). I'm looking to pick up a cheap bass for recording so I dont have to use cheesy sampled bass parts anymore. I find it hard by whether or not its passive or active ( for example sites like guitar center dont offer that sorting option )

anyone know what the reason for this is? It seems like there's a pretty big difference in sound from what I read.

Also, am I right in thinking that a cheap passive bass through a really nice outboard preamp/DI box will be the most cost effective way to get a good sound (considering you already have the nice outboard gear)

p.s. looking to spend around 200$
just look at different basses on guitarcenter.com. it lists if the pickups are active or passive
Ok first off it isn't insanely hard to remove the covers, it's a few screws. Take a look at this bass, I think you will be happy, it is a little more then $200 though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by TrabenBassist22
Ok first off it isn't insanely hard to remove the covers, it's a few screws. Take a look at this bass, I think you will be happy, it is a little more then $200 though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc

I actually really like how that one looks too, do you think it would be well suited to more mellow music like folk and acoustic indie rock stuff? I'm guessing the answer is yes but I dont really know if "punchy" is what I'm looking for. then again its probably just marketing bs

and where does it say its passive on guitarcenter.com?
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Aug 15, 2010,
Yes it will work well for mellow music, the Jazz bass can be used for pretty much anything. I don't know where it says it, I don't know what the other guy was talking about. You can usually tell if a bass is active or passive because an active bass with have a pre-amp with an eq in the bass. If it has an EQ it's probably an active, I've never seen a passive with an EQ.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

The one I posted is not active, it's passive. The three knobs are 2 volumes (1 for each pickup) and a tone knob. Most Fenders or Squires are passive except for a few models. With your suggestion I'm just going to say DO NOT GET IT. You will not be happy, low end deans are crap for lack of better words. Trust me you will be happy with the Jazz bass I posted the VM series of squires are nice basses compared to others in the price range.

If you want cheap and passive you can't really go wrong with a Squier or a Yamaha RBX170. But it's silly to be scared of actives. Changing batteries is a rare event, quick and painless on most basses and well worth it for the tonal versatility.
yeah passives are really nothing to be afraid of. that said, I have an active and my next bass WILL be that squire jazz.. active and passive are two totally different monsters. and if I was in an indie folk band I would be rocking a jazz, depending on the folk to indie ratio, if it was really folky Id probably have a Pbass.
no sir away a papaya war is on
If it was really folky I'd just have a dog on a string. Pluck the string for bass, kick the dog for percussion.
GET THAT SQUIER. I am.
seriously though, i have two active basses and played many more. i prefer passive basses, i can not stand active basses anymore. i dont think actives have any better of tonal range then passives, mainly because you wont use half of it.

take an esp ltdb-104 (mine) for instance
it has
bass boost/cut (which i use)
pan between pickups (which i use)
treble boost/cut (which is pointless)
actually i find the treble boost/cut on ALL active basses USELESS.
Quote by Alucard817
GET THAT SQUIER. I am.
seriously though, i have two active basses and played many more. i prefer passive basses, i can not stand active basses anymore. i dont think actives have any better of tonal range then passives, mainly because you wont use half of it.

take an esp ltdb-104 (mine) for instance
it has
bass boost/cut (which i use)
pan between pickups (which i use)
treble boost/cut (which is pointless)

sorta agree. although, I do find it useful when Im doing higher register tapping chording things on my six.
Ok I don't get it. The guy said he wants a passive bass, why are you guys trying to convince him to get an active, he said he doesn't like them. I also prefer active but if he wants a passive then don't try and sell him an active. Just saying.

Quote by Alucard817

I know some one who never ventures past the 12th fret

Anyway on topic

I understand the desire for a passive. I mean there is always the possibility that your battery could go out in a gig or what not...that being said 4 of my 5 are active.

For what you should get for a low price, the Squier is great, Yamaha's are also great. I also recommend looking into both Ibanez's and Rondo Music.

But for later if ever you change your mind remember that with an active eq you have so many more tonal possibilities with you bass and it really helps you get the most of your instrument. You won't have to go and switch amp settings between songs anymore you could just boost you highs or cut your mids or whatever with a quick turn of the knob.

I personally have found my onboard eq's invaluable
Quote by TrabenBassist22
Ok I don't get it. The guy said he wants a passive bass, why are you guys trying to convince him to get an active, he said he doesn't like them. I also prefer active but if he wants a passive then don't try and sell him an active. Just saying.

I'd say most people are informing him that most of his fears about actives are ungrounded. (the battery always dieing and being nearly impossible to replace)

most of us did comment on good pasives for him to get as well though.