So after playing with and talking to a bunch of people over the past few weeks, I've started to realize my rig does not suit me. I get decent tone I suppose, but I want the tone in my head to come out of the speakers.

So I've crunched some numbers and if I sell my current amp/effect setup and use some savings, I've got around $1000 dollars for an amp and possibly effects. I want an amp that's low wattage (<50 watts) for small gigs, but lots of studio use.

The tones I want to nail? First off I want that Vox AC30 chime. I love that sparkle with the light distortion, like U2 and Angels and Airwaves and 30 Seconds to Mars.

On top of that I also play a lot of post-hardcore music like Chiodos, Enarosa, Isles & glaciers, OM&M and really want to get guitar tones like that too.

I've considered a Vox AC30. Ever since I started playing guitar I've dreamed of owning one. But I don't know if it can do the heavier stuff. I'd be more than willin to buy a distortion pedal if it sounded good with the Vox.

Life's too short for shit tone. Help me nail some great tones. Thanks!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by jscott1324
have you looked into a vypyr tube 60, i have one and it sounds great on low volumes and even better when its cranked you can get just about any tone you want out of it

He has already Peavey Valveking 112 if it's true...So I don't really see why a pyvyr tube 60.. Do you prefer the amp without effects? Blackstar HT studio is a decent low budget amplifier,20 watts I think. Then you could get a multipedal or something to do the effects.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

For that price point, something like a vypyr just isn't good enough.

I would go with a two amp setup. You can pick up a traynor ycv50 blue for 350-400 which will get you great chimey OD, and then a 5150 combo for the heavier stuff (they go between 450-600).

That would give you two fantastic amps each suited to the tone you want, well within your price range.

(I'm assuming you have the space for two amps.)

Edit: Also look at the JCA20 alongside the traynor. Either of those could do heavy with a boost, but I find that's never the same as a proper high gain amp
Last edited by denied at Aug 15, 2010,
Thanks forthe suggestions. I'd like to stick to a one amp setup if at all possible. I played a JCA20H about a month ago and really liked the tone.

Thanks for sharing the video about the Vox doing heavy stuff! That certainly makes a strong case for the Vox!

I've heard that a Laney amp would be good too. Anybody else have any information on whether a Laney amp could do these tones?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I say go with the MTS suggestion. Get the Vox module and then pick up a nige modded high gain module from someone like Salvation mods.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
laneys are quite nice ive tried them on the clean channel and slight distortion

but if you really want the AC30 tone theres no where else to look but at the vox
I'll look into the MTS suggestion. That's pretty spendy, 850 for the amp gun 250 for each module but I won't rule it out.

I also got a recommendation for a Traynor YCS50. Demo videos make it look really nice too. Anyone have experience with the Traynor or the Randall?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ