hello all

Ok I wanted to buy a electric guitar in 2004 and I searched the internet for a decent low-cost guitar for a beginner. A lot of the links from the search engines sent me to forums, discussions, ads, saying that the best beginner guitar was the "Ibanez Gio GRX20z"

I bought that and a low cost amp online and it came a week later. But real life got in the way of guitar learning and or even setting up the guitar to be played. I shelved it until few weeks ago when i wanted to try to learn to play again.

I wanted to go tremolo-less when I found out you can get the same thing from bending strings. So I searched and found this website (great site btw) with instructions on how to block the tremolo using wood blocks.

When I put wood blocks between the tremolo block(?) and left 1 spring on the claw-block. I then screwed down the 2 bridge studs(?) and thought everything is peachy. I put on a string and when it was somewhat tight, I noticed the string was touching the frets.

My question is this, how can I go about using this guitar in a "fixed" position and raise the strings high enough so they do not hit the frets? would I have to buy a new bridge and possible drill some holes to all the new bridge to be secure enough? Or can I just buy a set of saddles that have the ability to be raised? Keeping in mind that I can not buy anything over $55 as I have to pay bills/rent and money is very tight atm.

here are some pics of my grx20z

front tremolo - http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8264/tremolobridgefront.jpg

back tremolo - http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6838/tremolobridgeback.jpg

guitar front - http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/941/guitarfront.jpg

guitar back - http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9030/guitarback.jpg

headstock - http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1184/headstock.jpg

really needing some help as searching the net for something you know nothing about is somewhat difficult, especially with all the different companies and different names for parts.

thanks and keep on rocking
when you make that particular bridge, fixed, you no longer have the front of the bridge high enough to clear the board.

try adjusting the block to change the bridge angle or adjust the pivot screws a little.

or instead of blocks, add like 3 or 4 springs, use the trem screws, and make sure the ass end of the bridge is in balance with the tension of the strings.
so it stays in tune.

i don't know if standard adjustable saddles will fit in that bridge. if they do, hell yeah that would also be a cheap easy fix.

lastly, make sure your neck isnt back bowed, causing additional action issues.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks for the reply Phat Stud 55 @ jj1565

I will do some measuring for new saddles and will try altering the springs and see if that helps.

@Phat Stud 55
do you mean the 3 screws that are under the saddles?

@jj1565
should the bridge front and back be flush against the guitar? I think that is what i am having trouble with. This is a floating bridge correct? so in order to get the guitar up and running without going out of tune after practice , I would have to let the bridge float a little?

So basically my situation is not to block the tremolo and just adjust string tension for the bridge block instead?

and one more thing I need to ask, the front of the bridge has a hex stud on each side. Are these studs used to hold the bridge in place, or are they just used for height adjustment? Most of the time when I try and screw in the bridge, it just moves backwards and or comes loose easily. just want to make sure I get this right seeing as I am running out of guitar strings :P

thanks again
Quote by burningforce

I wanted to go tremolo-less when I found out you can get the same thing from bending strings. So I searched and found this website (great site btw) with instructions on how to block the tremolo using wood blocks.

Actually you can't, they both do the opposite of each other. Bending strings raises the pitch, the tremolo lowers the pitch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by burningforce

@jj1565
should the bridge front and back be flush against the guitar? I think that is what i am having trouble with. This is a floating bridge correct? so in order to get the guitar up and running without going out of tune after practice , I would have to let the bridge float a little?

So basically my situation is not to block the tremolo and just adjust string tension for the bridge block instead?

and one more thing I need to ask, the front of the bridge has a hex stud on each side. Are these studs used to hold the bridge in place, or are they just used for height adjustment? Most of the time when I try and screw in the bridge, it just moves backwards and or comes loose easily. just want to make sure I get this right seeing as I am running out of guitar strings :P

thanks again

yeah i'm thinking with that bridge (and yeah, for some reason on that model there's no adjustment pegs) ... for you i'd work with the spring tension to get the strings going to the bridge at a better angle, and hopefully that will help with your action problem.

those are pivot screws. the bridge pivots on them.

if you don't have equal spring to string tension, then adjusting them will just cause to the bridge to pull back away from them.

in your case, either ascertain that adjustable saddles will fit in that bridge, or adjust the spring tension in a way that the ass end of the bridge is lifted at a slight angle.
that should raise the strings off the frets.

(unless you're also dealing with backbow.)

just to add because i think it got lost in my other post. you CAN black that bridge, if the block is at the correct angle and again it should work if the neck isnt back bowed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 16, 2010,
dude all you had to do was not screw in the trem arm . blocking is really only needed if you have a floating bridge otherwise the benifits are kinda minimal especially on a guitar like yours.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude all you had to do was not screw in the trem arm . blocking is really only needed if you have a floating bridge otherwise the benifits are kinda minimal especially on a guitar like yours.

actually unscrewing the arm has nothing to do with it, he has a floating bridge, and benefits are maximum on a guitar like his.

otherwise your post makes perfect sense.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

@jj1565
great info, thanks for the help

@steven seagull
I did not know that, thank you for that info

When I get some free time this week, I will try again.