Page 1 of 3
Hey I'm just wondering, is Muse the biggest band of the last decade? I can't really think of any other bands out there who released their debut album in 1999 or sooner who can match the caliber of their live shows.

So are there any other bands out there who debuted in 1999 or sooner who can fill a stadium and make some really rocking tunes like they can? And by stadium I don't mean arena, I mean soccer stadium.

First 20 sec or so shows what I mean : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lsp5y0TpR0&playnext=1&videos=nAXy5A6A37E

Edit**: Festivals don't count. It has to be a booking specifically for the band in question
Last edited by Styxonthebrain at Aug 15, 2010,
white stripes come to mind. I wouldn't call Muse the biggest not that they don't have a huge following. And that's not even because I don't like them.
I wish I could think of more but they just aren't coming to mind.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Not in America, I don't think. Maybe in other parts of the world.

And this thread should of been named "Who was the biggest band of the last decade".
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 15, 2010,
As far as i know Slipknot can....

Edit:atm Green Day can...
Last edited by conor-figgy at Aug 15, 2010,
Black Label Society? Debut album in '98 but whatever..
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
But are these guys selling out stadiums that size like in the video? I'm just looking for bands of the same era who put on the same style of epic-sized shows.
Sadly bands like Kings of Leon are bigger

EDIT: To the above, I would say Nine Inch Nails, maybe not the exact same era though
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 15, 2010,
Also Tool, blink 182, Green Day, Eminem, Linkin Park, ect.

blink 182 wasn't around for the second half and Eminem isn't a band but you get it.

I'm going to say Eminem and Linkin Park were the biggest becasue they sold out arenas and both had diamond selling albums in the US and are already among the world's top selling artists.

Edit: I'd say Nine Inch Nails were more like the 90's band.
but lets SEE it! Let's see a video that matches/goes beyond the one above!

Edit:
Tool: debuted 1992
Blink 182: Debuted 1992
Green Day: 1994

So none of them count. 1999 or sooner
Last edited by Styxonthebrain at Aug 15, 2010,
Kings Of Leon and the Killers are up there in the UK. And no way are Black Label Society bigger than Muse.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Styxonthebrain
but lets SEE it! Let's see a video that matches/goes beyond the one above!

Edit:
Tool: debuted 1992
Blink 182: Debuted 1992
Green Day: 1994

So none of them count. 1999 or sooner

Oops sorry, I forgot the 1999 part but they are ****ing huge now. blink 182 were at their peak 1999-2004 though. I'm not sure about Tool.
in england maybe but im not so sure about america

there is also kings of leon, the killers (dont know when they started though), linkin park
Kings of Leon definitely. Lady Gaga maybe? she's pretty big. The killers yea... The Fray maybe? I know they sold out a stadium near me. Didn't Coldplay debut in this decade? Maybe Death Cab for Cutie. I'm just kinda spit-ballin.
Never met a wise man. If so, its a woman ~Kurt Cobain
id go with slipknot; debuted 1999.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Kings of Leon, bigger than Muse? Oh please.

But yeah, Coldplay would be bigger I guess, they're more succesful worldwide I think.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Kings of Leon, bigger than Muse? Oh please.

But yeah, Coldplay would be bigger I guess, they're more succesful worldwide I think.

from their latest albums on mtv they are for sure

KOL got constant play while Muse (as much as they got) didnt get that much
uprising stopped playing regularly after a month or so

i would say coldplay though
Last edited by '93 at Aug 15, 2010,
Are Coldplay really a proper band though?

I guess in the past 2 years Kings of Leon have had more success but i'd say Muse are still bigger.
While it is true that kings of leon have gotten bigger, now that i think about it, i only ever see them do festivals. Also, i went to the concert that they canceled because of pidgeon crap, so i'd imagine they lost some fans because of that whole ordeal.
Never met a wise man. If so, its a woman ~Kurt Cobain
Best live show is really a matter of opinion. If we're talking size, I guess John Mayer, Lady Gaga, and KoL come to mind (as far as America goes).

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Kings of Leon, bigger than Muse? Oh please. .

They are.

They are massive in the UK and America, Muse are big in the UK and not that big in America
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Duffman123
They are.

They are massive in the UK and America, Muse are big in the UK and not that big in America

They've gotten quite a bit bigger, but most people I talk to don't know who thyer are and really only Uprising and their songs on Twilight are popular.

Edit: Slipknot are probably as big, I wouldn't say bigger. And John Mayer is hugely known but when he comes around here he plays at smaller venues than the arena I saw Muse at.

I'm still going with Linkin Park (I don't care if you like them or not, they are huge and have sold the most albums out of the bands who debuted this decade, and play huge shows).
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 15, 2010,
Foo Fighters - although their first album came out '95.

And yes lol, there is a bigger band. Nickelback.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by Duffman123
They are.

They're nowhere near as big, in the sense that they're nothing but the latest hype. They might be massive now, but nobody ever heard of them before their two latest albums. And I'm guessing that between now and a few years from now, people will get bored by them, as they're not really innovative or entertaining enough to keep people interested.

Also, the world isn't divided between the UK and America. There's also such things as Europe, Asia, Australia and the lot. And Muse are quite the name there as well.

Quote by LutRes
Are Coldplay really a proper band though?
Give me one good reason, just one, why they wouldn't be.
Quote by ZeGuitarist

I meant they're not really a proper band in the modern rock sense.
U2 and Rchp made their debut a long time ago so don really count
Quote by LutRes
I meant they're not really a proper band in the modern rock sense.
Yes they are.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
They're nowhere near as big, in the sense that they're nothing but the latest hype. They might be massive now, but nobody ever heard of them before their two latest albums. And I'm guessing that between now and a few years from now, people will get bored by them, as they're not really innovative or entertaining enough to keep people interested.

Also, the world isn't divided between the UK and America. There's also such things as Europe, Asia, Australia and the lot. And Muse are quite the name there as well.

Most people I know anyway wouldn't have known who Muse were a few albums ago. Over here a few years ago I would say Muse would have been as well known as Kings of Leon. But now because of KIL's radio friendly songs they are massive. The only band who I would say got more radio play than them last year was Lady Gaga. Also I hate KIL and love Muse, but over here and in America they are bigger at the minute.

You're right about that, but I can only talk about the UK and the USA, because I couldn't tell you who is number one in the Swedish or Japanese charts
Last edited by Duffman123 at Aug 16, 2010,
Someone said Nickelback. Why God, why? Nickelback I don't think are big anywhere else in the world beside North America. The main reason being because only white trash hicks can get into Nickelback. And we all know that the majority of white trash hicks are found in America.

Anyways, have to go with Coldplay, sold out Wembley for two shows and other big stadiums around the world. They even sold out in Japan so...
Quote by Duffman123
Most people I know anyway wouldn't have known who Muse were a few albums ago. Over here a few years ago I would say Muse would have been as well known as Kings of Leon. But now because of KIL's radio friendly songs they are massive. The only band who I would say got more radio play than them last year was Lady Gaga. Also I hate KIL and love Muse, but over here and in America they are bigger at the minute.
The difference is still that KoL are a fad, and Muse isn't. Muse is consistently great, both in the studio and live, while KoL will eventually burn out and disappear. Mark my words.

And yeah, Coldplay is probably the biggest.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
The difference is still that KoL are a fad, and Muse isn't. Muse is consistently great, both in the studio and live, while KoL will eventually burn out and disappear. Mark my words.

God I hope so
I saw Muse in Singapore as my first real actual concert and they were amazing live,.. Sure I've heard stories but when your actually in a stadium hearing them play,.. it like shaking hands with jesus (and I'm an atheist)

I saw in a magazine that they're two shows in wembley this year in september are sold out! (and this was in a january 2010 issue fo the magazine)

My dream is to one day watch them at that sacred stadium,... ( these rolleyes are a show of my awe) Muse IMO really are the biggest band of this time,... no one,... no one else can sell out wembley almost one year in advance ,... well besides maybe metallica, but their not of this decade.
Quote by ZeGuitarist

And yeah, Coldplay is probably the biggest.

KoL area fad and Muse isnt? Opinion

Muse consistently great? Opinion

I dont (and this is my OPINION) think Muse are the biggest band of the last decade because they have only been massively popular for the last five years or so. I think in five years or so you could say they were the biggest abnd of the decade if they remain popular. At the moment I would probably say its the Foo Fighters...maybe.
Now with New and Improved Signature
Why are you pointing out that what people have said are their opinions? That's a given.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Why are you pointing out that what people have said are their opinions? That's a given.

That's your opinion.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Page 1 of 3