so i practice about 2 hours a day. sometimes 3. and was wondering what teh quickest way to progress is.and i know atleast 1 guy is gunna say "learn theory noob" and telling you know i already am working on that. i mean of finger excersices. any help is app thx
Mmmm practice using your pinky, many guitarists (including myself) tend to use all but this one, beacause of it's lack of strength, but you should work on that, not really sure about other tips =/

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Agreed with Damaged Roses, however I managed to get my Pinky in use lol. I would reccomend that you make yourself a timetable. Like 20 min of lagato practice 40 min of learning your fave song 10 min on sweeping 30 min on scales 15 min on chords etc..........

Good Luck!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
100 % legato trill exercises are always welcome like :
-1-2-1-2-1-3-1-3-1-4-1-4-1-5-1-5-
on any string... This are many else :
-1-2-1-2-2-3-2-3-3-4-3-4-2-3-2-3-1-2-1-2
Try to strength up your pinky if you don't have any problem with others :
-1-4-1-4-2-4-2-4-3-4-3-4-2-4-2-4-1-4-1-4
Many many else...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
o i use my pinky all the time. when i first started i read something where zakk wylde said use it. i figured hes awsome at guitar so ill take his advice haha. plus i dont see the point in not using it. i have it for a reason. i do the trill excercises but its rought. i cant do them that fast and i strain alot. any tips for that?
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
o i use my pinky all the time. when i first started i read something where zakk wylde said use it. i figured hes awsome at guitar so ill take his advice haha. plus i dont see the point in not using it. i have it for a reason. i do the trill excercises but its rought. i cant do them that fast and i strain alot. any tips for that?

I would focus on going as slow as you need to go to make the trill sound perfect. Once it sounds perfect keep doing it and then start slowly going faster. That seems to help me. I dont have alot of patience so learning how to go slow was kinda hard.
Quote by Damaged Roses
Mmmm practice using your pinky, many guitarists (including myself) tend to use all but this one, beacause of it's lack of strength, but you should work on that, not really sure about other tips =/

Doing trills with your pinky at a tempo you can do it perfectly at in various places around the fretboard will help catch your pinky up really quickly.

Another pinky helper exercise would be something like...
------------------------------7h10p7----------------------------------------------
-------------------------7h10--------h10p7---------------------------------------
--------------------7h10---------------------h10p7-------------------------------
--------------7h10-----------------------------------h10p7-----------------------
--------7h10-------------------------------------------------h10p7---------------
--7h10---------------------------------------------------------------h10p7---etc.----

When you are descending tones, hammering on to the next string with your pinky is a key part of this exercise.

As far as priority, I would do either one of these for 5 minutes a day. Which one you do depends where you're at. I would start with trills and work from there.
sweet thanks guys. ill try this right away. o and btw. would play piano help at all? i really am considering learning some. i like bls"s piano songs alot. im assuimg it would help finger dexderity right?
Quote by Venusio G.
100 % legato trill exercises are always welcome like :
-1-2-1-2-1-3-1-3-1-4-1-4-1-5-1-5-
on any string... This are many else :
-1-2-1-2-2-3-2-3-3-4-3-4-2-3-2-3-1-2-1-2
Try to strength up your pinky if you don't have any problem with others :
-1-4-1-4-2-4-2-4-3-4-3-4-2-4-2-4-1-4-1-4
Many many else...

if you relax your eyes, the dashes look slanted
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Now that I'm older I don't practice as intensly as I used to but when I do set down and learn new stuff or even to warm up before practice or a show I do stuff like this on the high E 8-5-7-8-5-7 7-4-5-7-4-5 12-8-10-12-8-10 and so on and so on or the chomatic type scales listed above with the 1234,2345,3456,etc. Look up the steve vai 10 hour guitar workout(he's got a 30 hour one now but the 10 is the original and more familiar to me) he shows you all kinds of fingering excercises that get really difficult after awhile but I have gained a lot of dexteriety from doing them.he's got mini lessons at vai.com that are pretty interesting also
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
i dont know how much you are into jazz, but learning, and practicing the differnt chords can help alot too.

learning all the inversions etc, but mostly important is applying them into a song.

another thing grab some staff paper. look up a jazz lead sheet, right down the chord progression above the staff lines all the way through. then make up your own melody, and solo etc. Try to see if you can sing a melody then right it down, or write a melody then sing it. Once your done record a backing track of the progression, then play your lead over it. Though its not finger exersices itll help with rhythm, sight reading, and your style.

also you can find what licks/phrases you like to play over a chord

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.