hi, just a quick question and looking for a quick answer, basically, i play a string-through guitar in drop c, using either top heavy .10's, or .11's, and my problem is that the strings are very floppy, but it's only the thickest 3 that are really effected, as i play mostly metal i do need a tight bottom string and was just wondering if there's a particular way of stringing the guitar, or whether i do genuinely need thicker strings

thanks, rob
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Try calibrating your guitar for low-tunings, perhaps?
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
^ wtf callibrate??
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by NUMAS
Try calibrating your guitar for low-tunings, perhaps?

this
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
i've been playing guitar for 6 years, i've never come across calibrate :')
do you mean like, intonate? as much as this is a problem, it's not something i couldn't live with, i'm regularly gigging with it, but i don't want to have to modify the guitar just to fix a little preference problem
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by Robbbbb
i've been playing guitar for 6 years, i've never come across calibrate :')
do you mean like, intonate? as much as this is a problem, it's not something i couldn't live with, i'm regularly gigging with it, but i don't want to have to modify the guitar just to fix a little preference problem

calibrate, intonate, pretty much the same idea just different words considering I doubt he was talking about calibrating your tuner, english is retarded like that. I have been playing 7 years and I use c# standard on a guitar that I had to change the intonation/calibrate. If you didn't already know, when you change string sizes, always intonate the guitar. or you can be like me and check intonation every time I change strings.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Wisthekiller
While you calibrate I would recommend defragging your guitar.

^ lol maybe run an antivirus check to make sure the electronics are safe

i suggest the ernie ball heavy top skinny bottom strings

edit: the gauges are 10/13/17/30/42/52 i used those on my string through while i was in drop C and it worked great.
yeah if you read properly, i did mention i use top heavy 10's, so that doesn't really help aha sorry, i'm not too familiar with how to intonate this particular guitar, it's a tune-o-matic bridge whereas i'm used to floyd roses, so what i'll probably do is take it into my local guitar shop and get him to set it up properly. thanks everyone!
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Put some 12's or 13's on it, adjust the neck and intonate it. Problem solved. If you don't know how to do any of that, use your eye sockets and read. It's not hard. Why pay someone to do something when you can do it yourself and know it's done right?

Or just throw your money away and take it to someone who may or may not do a good job.

No matter what it is in life, once you learn how to do something you'll always know how to do it and won't have to rely on other people to do it for you (or waste your money paying them).
Quote by Rick540
Put some 12's or 13's on it, adjust the neck and intonate it. Problem solved. If you don't know how to do any of that, use your eye sockets and read. It's not hard. Why pay someone to do something when you can do it yourself and know it's done right?

Or just throw your money away and take it to someone who may or may not do a good job.

No matter what it is in life, once you learn how to do something you'll always know how to do it and won't have to rely on other people to do it for you (or waste your money paying them).

+1 Well said.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
When i was in drop C I used .11 - .56 and it was perfect. Kept them tight enough to get a good low action without a lot of buzz and just loose enough that bends werent tough to do.
I had the same problem whenever I tried to tune below Drop D. I think the solution is to recalibrate. Then, you can tune down without getting floppy strings.

ron666
If you don't want to raise your action, then you'll have to get thicker strings.

What guitar are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X