Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you would know the reason the base of my thumb hurts. It has only started hurting yesterday. And i've been playing for 3 years, but what happens is i start playing and after about 5 minutes of playing my thumb just starts to fatigue. Wonder if it's some kind of arthritis? I hope not I don't want to give guitar up.
Quote by Danielghero
Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you would know the reason the base of my thumb hurts. It has only started hurting yesterday. And i've been playing for 3 years, but what happens is i start playing and after about 5 minutes of playing my thumb just starts to fatigue. Wonder if it's some kind of arthritis? I hope not I don't want to give guitar up.

Try stretching your fingers before you play.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Is this on your fretting hand or your picking hand? If it's your fretting hand, it could be a couple of things. It could be that your neck is too fat/thin for your hand, or it could also be that you have to adjust your style a little bit so as not to hurt yourself. I have had some pain on my strumming hand for some time now, but not sure what that's all about. I've always heard one thing though: if it starts hurting, take a break!
It's possible to get carpal tunnel from playing guitar so make sure you are stretching the muscles in both of your hands. How long do you play guitar at a time? If it's more than a couple of hours, I would suggest taking a 10-15 minute break every hour or two. Chances are though, you just sprained your thumb. Take it easy for a few day, it should feel fine after that.
My thumb on my fretting hand used to get sore when I played some bar chord heavy acoustic song. It was just a muscle pain similar to what you would get from weight lifting. After a while I developed the endurance in that muscle and I no long got the pain. I don't know if this is the case with you because you were not very specific. If it was, just play until it is too sore, then give it a rest and you will eventually develop the strength.
My thumb on my strumming hand gets really sore most practices. I usually have to take an hour break for it to go away 100% It usually takes longer for it to occur if I stretch and play a few slow licks and riffs before I actually "practice". It's the muscles in my thumb(the part that's actually in your hand, not the finger itself) in my case. When I force myself to play threw it, it's noticeably bigger than the other.

Been like that since I started playing bass about two years ago. I've tried changing how I hold the pick and it doesn't do much neither does relaxing my hand more(sometimes that actually makes it hurt more.)
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Last edited by Bottle of Dirt at Aug 15, 2010,
Thanks guys, it has went away a little. so i'm going to give it another's day rest. i hope it quits
Quote by KingDime666
Try stretching your fingers before you play.

I really should start this. I have NEVER stretched before i played. thanks i'll start
If it starts hurting. Stop. Don't push it. The last thing you want to do is tear a muscle in your finger. Carpel tunnel and tendinitis etc... are more likely to cause pain in the wrists due to guitar playing so I wouldn't be worried so much about that.

Remember just like any pain or weirdness in your body, if it persists then you should go get checked out by a doctor or something.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I am not a doctor but I play one in a guitar foru.....nevermind. If playing hurts STOP PLAYING WHEN IT HURTS!!!! That is step 1. Step 2, See a doctor. Pain is a sign of a problem heed it. Do not take the half cocked advise of someone off the net since with out examination you can only give at best a half assed guess as to what the problem might be.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Danielghero
I really should start this. I have NEVER stretched before i played. thanks i'll start

Theres a really good video on youtube for stretching exercises from GuitarLessons365.
Last edited by Razer86 at Aug 17, 2010,
i've had trouble with cramps in the fingers on my fretting hand for a while, it starts when i have been playing for a couple of hours.

i have recently been gently excersizing the hand with one of those spring loaded grip thingys, it seems to work for me.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Bhaok
I am not a doctor but I play one in a guitar foru.....nevermind. If playing hurts STOP PLAYING WHEN IT HURTS!!!! That is step 1. Step 2, See a doctor. Pain is a sign of a problem heed it. Do not take the half cocked advise of someone off the net since with out examination you can only give at best a half assed guess as to what the problem might be.

thanks for that advice, i've got an appointment for the doctor set up now
I know how you feel. The same thing happens to me. If you are using your left hand to press down the strings, then it should be the left thumb. What is happening is you are hyperextending your thumb while pressing down on the back of the guitar neck. I suggest that you wrap your thumb to the side of the back of the neck instead of straight back. This will ease the pressure and should solve the problem.

ron666