So I've been thinking about getting a wah pedal but at the moment i'm broke and correct me if i'm wrong but aren't wahs just essentially tone knobs built into a pedal? and wouldn't they be pretty easy just to build from scratch?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
If you got a wah shell so it woulhd be very easy since most of the work on wah is the pysical movement of the pedal and how it controls the pot'.
And it's a bit more complicated than a tone control. If you want a wah like a vox v847 or a crybaby you have to get a right inductor and if you want a morley style wah you got much more loaded schematics...
I was gonna build myself one, then I figured the pot thing was too much trouble. It'd really help if you had the enclosure already.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

i know it'd help but i plan on making one from a kick drum pedal and i had forgot that they have Q intensity and all that, anyone know any good schematics?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
yeah i'm not finding anything there, it looks like one of those websites that are like un-owned
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Not really... You can get a sweep from just building a tone knob into an expression pedal, but you won't get any of the vocal "wah" tone. I personally don't understand the innards of a wah pedal completely yet, but I'm sure the answers you're looking for are in the ultimate pedal building thread. Good luck!
Quote by Ice4600
Not really... You can get a sweep from just building a tone knob into an expression pedal, but you won't get any of the vocal "wah" tone. I personally don't understand the innards of a wah pedal completely yet, but I'm sure the answers you're looking for are in the ultimate pedal building thread. Good luck!

Pushing on the pedal turns the pot, which varies the tone. Releasing it turns the pot the other way around.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

right and when the pot is turned it varies the low or high frequencies that are let through like a tone control on a guitar right?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by grungebaby
right and when the pot is turned it varies the low or high frequencies that are let through like a tone control on a guitar right?

I think so... I'd have to look at a schemo.

The way I see it, only using a simple switch will give you a on/off function, like an overdrive etc. What makes a Wah is the "linear" effect it has, which comes from the pot. On the Crybaby Original, the pot is wired with a .001uF cap, so yeah it acts as a filter.

It kinda is like a tone pot on a guitar, but it needs to be rotating by itself as you press/release the pedal. It'd be possible to make the pot a manual one outside the enclosure, but that won't give you the Wah effect you're looking for.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
It kinda is like a tone pot on a guitar, but it needs to be rotating by itself as you press/release the pedal. It'd be possible to make the pot a manual one outside the enclosure, but that won't give you the Wah effect you're looking for.

ok you lost me there, what gives it the wah effect? and what do you mean by a manual one on the out side?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Let's start with what is a wah:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Now that we know what a wah is circuit wise, let's check out some schemes.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/ColorsoundWah/index.htm
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/TCobrettis-Stuff/Wah+Comparisons.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Spike is right in the linearity, but most modern wah pots are log taper, or ICAR, which can be explained by...
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Just some light reading for you
Quote by grungebaby
ok you lost me there, what gives it the wah effect? and what do you mean by a manual one on the out side?

as far as i know.the wah effect comes from the resistor values and one, or more of the capacitrs value. you will also need an inductor - the big round thing in between the audio jack sockets
fasel Red are apparently THE inductor to have.

kinda getting into this pedal buildin thing myself.

only going by what ive found out in the past day.
I've built a Ibanez WH10. There's no inductor so if you can't find one, it might be good place to start (I built a two wah pot version though)
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Dave8706
as far as i know.the wah effect comes from the resistor values and one, or more of the capacitrs value. you will also need an inductor - the big round thing in between the audio jack sockets
fasel Red are apparently THE inductor to have.

thats what i was thinking, it seems so simple but i never could figure it out haha but, i think i'm kinda understanding it now, without the pot it would just make the sound that the wah would make with the pedal pressed all the time, because the pot determines how much the circut affects the sound. right?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by guitar-tin
no.. the pot works like a filter and not a blend pot.

Either way, using a simple resistor won't give you the expression of a Wah. But yes it is a filter.

I've never had a Wah before, never experienced with one either. All I know is from schematic analysis. I might be wrong, but looking at it it sure is a filter.

Btw, I'd like to know what a blend pot is. Anyone care to explain? I know about linear pots and logarithmic pots, but what about blend pot? Is it rather about the circuit or the pot itself?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

A wah is a high Q bandpass filter, the pot controls the frequencies in the band.

A blend pot is a dual ganged pot that, in the center allows passage of both, and allows you to change the resistance of either. A "blend pot" is just a regular dual ganged pot that, in the center, both are in their middle resistance of the wiper travel.

This is often used as a "blend pot."
Quote by Spike6sic6
Either way, using a simple resistor won't give you the expression of a Wah. But yes it is a filter.

I've never had a Wah before, never experienced with one either. All I know is from schematic analysis. I might be wrong, but looking at it it sure is a filter.

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be that simple, and I looked up some schematics and I get kinda the main principles to it.

I've never used any kind of pedal before, and I have a very limited knowledge of electronics if thats not obvious. haha
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by blandguitar
A wah is a high Q bandpass filter, the pot controls the frequencies in the band.

A blend pot is a dual ganged pot that, in the center allows passage of both, and allows you to change the resistance of either. A "blend pot" is just a regular dual ganged pot that, in the center, both are in their middle resistance of the wiper travel.

This is often used as a "blend pot."

Wow ok guess I just didn't know the name of it. I've seen loads of these before.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

alright well i guess i'm just looking for a real simple one to build, i just want a wah nothing real complicated, any suggestions?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15