Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Well as a few of you must know, it is senior year and that means college apps. So, are you guys starting them now, or are you all going to wait until the last minute and do them in a mad rush?

This can apply to the UK, EU, US, whatever, it's the same principal in most countries I think.

Maybe also type in which ones you are applying to? With country/state, that could be helpful. Maybe also some hints and protips from people that have already done all of this hell?

I'll start:

Wisconsin Madison (Wisconsin)
University of Iowa (Iowa)
Coe College (Iowa)
Illinois State (Illinois)
University of Pennsylvania (You get it by now)
Brown University (Rhode Island)
Stanford University (California)
American University (D.C)

Kings College (London UK)
Nottingham University (same principal applies as above)
Cambridge
Edinburgh
York
Bristol

Bordeaux Michel de Montainge
Toulouse
Sorbonne (Paris)
Montpellier
Strasbourg
Aix-en-Provence
Marseille

and maybe Sydney and/or King's College Christchurch/Auckland.

I know I've got a lot of work to do. What about you guys?
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Well i can only apply to 5 through the system we use but i'm thinking

Oxford
Bristol
Edinburgh
Durham
Aberdeen

In the UK and my applications shall be completed sooner rather than later (well that's my plan anyway :P)
Well, in Belgium, you can just show up, you just say you're attending and you pay, becuase half of the students that come drop out by the end of the 1st semester... so... college applications don't really... apply
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Applying to:

Great Schools:
Northwestern University (Illinois)
DePaul University (illinois)
Indiana University (duh)

Fallback School(s)
Northern Illinois University
North Central College

I shouldn't have any problem getting into the three good schools, it all depends on which ones I get accepted into the school of music.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Cool. I mean, the way the French system works is that if you apply to the main University in your Académie (Mine is Toulouse), they are obliged to take you. Like, obliged by law, AND you can study nearly anything you want, and if you drop out, then tough shit.

I really dislike the supplements for the apps though.

Jolly Good Edit: Hey, I thought about DePaul too, but just decided to cut down on the amount I'll have to do. It did look super awesome though, I know someone going there too.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Aug 15, 2010,
i'm definitely waiting until last minute to do these.

the bad thing about applying to different countries is some of them start in january but all the US ones start in august/september
sig-less
Quote by dfresh91
Dude go to American! I just started my 2nd day here its awesome!

I applied there and got accepted, but I'm going there. I'm leaving for Butler University in Indianapolis on Wednesday. I applied to:

American University (Washington D.C)
Belmont University (Tennessee)
Butler University
DePaul University (Chicago, Illinois)
Indiana University (Indiana...)
University of Hartford (Connecticut)
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Wisconsin...)
You're just now applying? I'm starting my first day tomorrow.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
You're just now applying? I'm starting my first day tomorrow.

Applying for next autumn lol.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I am applying to a few small liberal arts colleges that no one has ever heard of here in the States, but I'm also applying to a few large universities.

My complete list:

University of Tennessee- Knoxville
University of Tennessee- Chattanooga
University of Memphis (still in Tennessee)
University of Colorado- Boulder
University of New Mexico- Albuquerque
University of New Mexico- Taos
University of California- San Diego
Maryville College- Maryville, TN
Sewanee:The University of the South- Sewanee, TN
Rhodes College- Memphis, TN
The New School- New York, NY
Princeton University- Princeton, NJ
Grand Valley State University- Allendale, MI

I know that seems like a lot, but I like to have options. I am going to double major in Spanish and English literature (and probably minor in religion).

I will also be spending at least one semester at the Universidad de Buenos Aires in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

I know that seems like a lot, but I like to have options. I am going to double major in Spanish and English literature (and probably minor in religion).

I will also be spending at least one semester at the Universidad de Buenos Aires in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Sounds like me. I like the option thing. I'm planning to double major in French and Business/International Relations. Then grad school for Commercial or just plain Law.

Sounds cool about Argentina though! I don't really need the study abroad thing, seeing as I'm bilingual and all. But it would be awesome anyway!

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Dawginator
Sounds like me. I like the option thing. I'm planning to double major in French and Business/International Relations. Then grad school for Commercial or just plain Law.

Sounds cool about Argentina though! I don't really need the study abroad thing, seeing as I'm bilingual and all. But it would be awesome anyway!

That sounds like a really nice setup. I was originally going to major in Spanish and IR, but after taking a couple of IR classes this Summer..... It's just not for me. I love world cultures and whatnot, but international trade and politics kinda bore me. Besides, I have a real passion for literature and want to do some writing.

For at least some of the schools I'm applying to, spending a semester in a Spanish-speaking country is required for my degree, but even if it wasn't I would go. <3 Argentina.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I applied for Harvard and Columbia. I still have the rejection letters.

edit: I thought the interview for Harvard went well, too. oh, well. I'd be balls deep in loans by now. yay, community college. I'm not sure what four year I'll be going to... maybe University of Utah or UCSC.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Spartan070sarge
That sounds like a really nice setup. I was originally going to major in Spanish and IR, but after taking a couple of IR classes this Summer..... It's just not for me. I love world cultures and whatnot, but international trade and politics kinda bore me. Besides, I have a real passion for literature and want to do some writing.

For at least some of the schools I'm applying to, spending a semester in a Spanish-speaking country is required for my degree, but even if it wasn't I would go. <3 Argentina.

Awesome. IMHO, a second language is sooooo helpful in today's economy and whatnot, while I'm not happy with my parents for uprooting us to France, I'm extremely thankful that I can now speak 2 languages fluently, with an extra being decent.

I'd like to go to Argentina myself, just for the history aspect really. Good luck though!

@Above guy: Sorry dude. Those ones are really competitive though. I'm convinced there is no way in hell of me getting into Brown, but I'm gonna try!

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Dawginator
Hey guys,

Well as a few of you must know, it is senior year and that means college apps. So, are you guys starting them now, or are you all going to wait until the last minute and do them in a mad rush?

This can apply to the UK, EU, US, whatever, it's the same principal in most countries I think.

Maybe also type in which ones you are applying to? With country/state, that could be helpful. Maybe also some hints and protips from people that have already done all of this hell?

My "protips" would be not to worry about it so much like 90% of the people in my class did (I went to a private school), and to narrow down your choices to like top 5 or 6 schools. College apps are really not "hell" at all unless you're trying to apply to 20 different schools, and even then, the only thing that takes any sort of skill / real effort is the essays. It's easier to just pick the schools you really want to go to and stick with them.

I can remember people in my class freaking out about college apps in ****ing September and it pissed me off for some reason. I only applied to 4 schools, but I finished all my apps within 2 hours and got in to all of them, and they weren't extremely easy schools to get in to. I honestly have no idea why everyone was making such a big deal out of it, I didn't even begin my applications until mid December and was done by the end of the month. As long as you've done good in high school so far, there's no real need to worry.

If you're applying to ivy league schools or something, obviously get your apps in early, but there's also no need to start worrying before school even starts. Just go to your meetings with your college advisor and you'll be fine.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Spartan070sarge

That's were I study
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

Quote by kazetuner
That's were I study

Argentina is easily the most badass of all Latin American countries.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by MakinLattes
I applied for Harvard and Columbia. I still have the rejection letters.

I laughed when I read this. Sorry.

I'm about to start my sophomore year at University of New Haven. I can go down the street & hang out around Yale and wish I was good enough to go there.
I'm thinkin' about transferring after this year. Haven't really decided yet, but I'll probably go through applications just to have that option.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I laughed when I read this. Sorry.

I only applied for shits and giggles. I thought it would be hilarious if I actually got in. I had the grades and the SAT/ACT scores to warrant it, but I had no extracurriculars.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
college advisor

Therein lies a problem. My college adviser is French and most likely speak no English at all, so our sessions will most likely be me translating everything repeatedly. And also the fact that, by word of mouth, she is completely useless and doesn't care.

But yeah, all of those I'd love to go to for one reason or another, and I'm pretty far along with them, it's more tedious than anything. The essays are really annoying. The main Common App essay is the worst I think. Along with the Coe one.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Hmm... Only three of the colleges I listed participate in the Common App. I wonder if it's even worth it...

Quote by John Frusciante
I was accepted at U of T (university of Toronto) but I backed out this year for personal reasons.

I didn't really whore myself out, I only applied to a few universities in Ontario and that's it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I only applied for shits and giggles. I thought it would be hilarious if I actually got in. I had the grades and the SAT/ACT scores to warrant it, but I had no extracurriculars.

Yeah, extracurriculars were my major shortcoming.
Quote by Dawginator
Therein lies a problem. My college adviser is French and most likely speak no English at all, so our sessions will most likely be me translating everything repeatedly. And also the fact that, by word of mouth, she is completely useless and doesn't care.

Advisors are completely useless in my experience. They convinced me into taking a lot of courses that I didn't need to do and wasn't even very good at which lead to a really stressful senior year. They also didn't even tell me honestly about what programs universities offered, I've just found out now that there is a really interesting program at a different university (I've moved to Toronto now) that I am seriously considering going after next year.
I'm hoping that I can get accepted based mostly on grades and scores. My school doesn't have very many clubs, so my only real extracurricular is marching band. I'm applying to Beloit, MacAlester, Guilford, New College, and Yale. I'm only applying to Yale because they've sent soooo much stuff to me. and it's nice there.
Quote by Dawginator

But yeah, all of those I'd love to go to for one reason or another, and I'm pretty far along with them, it's more tedious than anything. The essays are really annoying. The main Common App essay is the worst I think. Along with the Coe one.

Oh, yeah, that does suck about your adviser. I was lucky enough to have a good one who did all of the work for me, besides apps and essays, such as contacting the schools, sending transcripts, helping me choose schools, etc.

And since you're set on applying to so many schools, it's good that you got some of the apps done already so you don't have to worry about school and college essays. The only people who really suffer with college applications are the extreme procrastinators, but that doesn't seem like a problem for you. Keep knocking 'em out one at a time, and don't treat it like a life or death situation and you'll be good
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Aug 15, 2010,
Cheers! Yeah it is a bit of a bugger about my college adviser. There is also the downside that no one in France ever wants to leave France, so moving country for uni is unheard of here, well pretty much at least. I mean, the only people I know who are applying to other universities are those who aren't French...

Essays are still a bitch though. :P:

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Argentina is easily the most badass of all Latin American countries.

Obviamente, boludo. Get used to that expression -"boludo"-, we say like twice per sentence.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

Quote by kazetuner
Obviamente, boludo. Get used to that expression -"boludo"-, we say like twice per sentence.

Haha.

That's one thing I'm working on, picking up Argentine Spanish. I am formally trained in standard, but I've been doing independent study to pick up the various differences (When I first discovered the use of vos instead of tú, it was quite a WTF moment )

Quote by John Frusciante
Waited til February to send in mine, which was dumb, but oh well, it all worked out. The apps are pretty cookie cutter so once you've done one, it's not too hard to put out 7 or 8. Unless of course you want to go to a private school, as many of those require essays and interviews.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by kazetuner
That's were I study

All the cool kids are studying there
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
We should make a club!

Quote by John Frusciante
I still have a year left before I have to apply.

...but anyway:
I am a Norwegian (yeah, Ignore my witty user title and "location") planning to study in the USA. Furthermore, with the Freshman year being limitedly funded, I have one choise, and that's Indiana University. I have tenfolds of chise the following years though. My question is, do I have to apply on several universities, and can I apply to universities in other countries for fallbacks (For instance England)?

Also, do I have to aquire a visa (for the time of study) before or after I apply? I have a clean criminal record, and most likely will have the following years, too.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by sfaune92
I still have a year left before I have to apply.

...but anyway:
I am a Norwegian (yeah, Ignore my witty user title and "location") planning to study in the USA. Furthermore, with the Freshman year being limitedly funded, I have one choise, and that's Indiana University. I have tenfolds of chise the following years though. My question is, do I have to apply on several universities, and can I apply to universities in other countries for fallbacks (For instance England)?

Also, do I have to aquire a visa (for the time of study) before or after I apply? I have a clean criminal record, and most likely will have the following years, too.

Is Norway in the EU? If so, then no visa required. I'm applying to a few for the option aspect of it. For me, France is the fail-safe.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I applied to University of Washington, Central Washington University, and Western Washington University. Got rejected from UW, but I'm going to CWU in the Honors College and the Science Talent Expansion Program.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I'm in the process of redoing my whole college app process. Two years ago (holy shit, it was that long ago), I applied to:

Johns Hopkins (Maryland): Waitlisted
Tufts University (Massachusetts): Denied
Dickinson College (Pennsylvania): Accepted, $10,000/yr academic scholarship
Washington College (Maryland): Half ride, Presidential Scholar Program (open to 30 students out 1100)
Boston University (Massachusetts): Accepted, $10,000/yr scholarship. I ended up going for one semester, then dropped out because it was a shitty place to go to school.

TS, don't apply to so many schools. Most places will ask for a list of places you apply to; 23 different schools is going to make you look desperate. And, it's going to suck to do that many applications. My five applications were pushing it. College counselors recommend no more than eight in order to not look like you applied to every place that caught your eye.

Also, if you are applying to state colleges (as in, public universities in America) as a first choice, you are most likely not the kind of student that will get into Stanford, UPenn, or Brown. Those three schools each have an acceptance rate of less than 10%.

EDIT: This time, I'm focusing more on getting exactly what I want, because I know how college works. Most entering freshman have no idea what it's like to actually live at school, and most have lived with their parents all of their lives.

I think that too many applicants don't really know what they are getting into when they start this process. It's not their fault, as it is the nature of something like this.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Aug 16, 2010,
I only applied to one University... And got in. Luckily my number 1 choice is 100% acceptance, even for out of staters. (Montana State University)
Page 1 of 2