I have been learning sweep picking recently and stumbled across a question which is whether in sweeping should the right hand be moving from the wrist or from the elbow? Id be grateful is someone could help.
Wrist: if you go from a sweep into a fast lick that requires tremoloing or economy picking, you need that smooth transition of the wrist, which you will find hard to achieve with the arm
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Elbow, sweeping requires a wide range of motion (e.g. passing over all 6 strings) and the elbow is far more efficient at achieving this. Also using wrist motion on larger sweeps can cause your wrist to move far out of the centre of it's range of motion causing tension.
When it comes to alternate picking, you use the wrist but sweeps are definitely an elbow motion.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
Elbow, sweeping requires a wide range of motion (e.g. passing over all 6 strings) and the elbow is far more efficient at achieving this. Also using wrist motion on larger sweeps can cause your wrist to move far out of the centre of it's range of motion causing tension.
When it comes to alternate picking, you use the wrist but sweeps are definitely an elbow motion.

Depends on the size of the sweep and the person's range of motion, since I can relatively comfortably cover all 6 strings with my wrist motion alone (although I wouldn't while playing) I use pure wrist motion for 3 string sweeps and arm for anything bigger.

However, if someone had a smaller range of motion than me (I'm a big guy) then arm movement for any sweeping would be a good idea.

More often than not you know what you're talking about Aleksi but you need to stop being so absolute about everything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This all depends on various things.

I would say use mostly wrist, but because your arm is attached to your wrist, it will follow. I wouldn't suggest planting your elbow in one spot and then trying to use exclusively wrist. Your arm may have to move for 6 string sweeps, but for all normal sweeps, it shouldn't move extensively.

Also, if you ever plan on sweep tapping, your arm is going to have to move, but this will mostly be a pivot from the shoulder. And, You may end up actually picking the strings on the fretboard if you sweep tap, as to reach the tapped note quicker.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends on the size of the sweep and the person's range of motion, since I can relatively comfortably cover all 6 strings with my wrist motion alone (although I wouldn't while playing) I use pure wrist motion for 3 string sweeps and arm for anything bigger.

However, if someone had a smaller range of motion than me (I'm a big guy) then arm movement for any sweeping would be a good idea.

More often than not you know what you're talking about Aleksi but you need to stop being so absolute about everything.

When people ask about sweeping, I usually assume that they want to end up doing at least 5 string sweeps at some point. Admittedly, on 3 string sweeps you can get away with wrist motion quite easily, in fact, when I first started learning sweeps I did use wrist motion. However, I found that it was extremely difficult to progress toward the larger sweeps; it required me to change my technique and, generally, the less you have to alter your technique (situationally) the better off you are, e.g. you want to play fast the same way you play slow, you want to pick the low E the same way you pick the high E and, by the same coin, you want to sweep 3 strings the same way you sweep 6.
I know that some people can get away with certain things easier than others (like you said with the larger range of wrist motion for sweeping) but a lot of people can't. No harm will come to the big guys who use elbow motion in their sweeps, even though they might be able to get away with the wrist, but wrist motion for the people with smaller ranges of motion (like myself) can be almost crippling. I prefer to give advise that will work for everyone.
The arm has a much wider range of motion than the wrist and, for larger motions, it takes much less effort for the arm to move the distance than the wrist. It's also easier to maintain things like pick angles when moving from the elbow. Sweeping is the only picking technique that I advise elbow motion for, things like alternate picking should be done from the wrist.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
It depends what size and shape sweeps I'm running through, I alternate between elbow motion and wrist motion. for 3 + 4 string sweeps, I use wrist ( and elbow if i throw in right hand tapping / sliding), where as for 5+6 string sweeps I use mostly elbow.
I wish I could sweep...its probably the biggest thing I wish I could do...I've been trying for years and it don't make any sense...now after reading this thread it makes less sense...lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I use both depending on what I'm playing. I use my arm to "push" and I use my wrist to angle the pick properly because I always sweep over the neck, never at the bridge for 5 or 6 string sweeps. For 3 or 4 string triads I use my wrist and don't bother moving my hand away from the bridge.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 17, 2010,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyZ3wPw_jM

cesar huesca uses his whole arm, shoulder even almost.. guy smokes any guitarist ive ever seen so I'll go with sweeping that way for myself personally.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Metalfan41
I use both depending on what I'm playing. I use my arm to "push" and I use my wrist to angle the pick properly because I always sweep over the neck, never at the bridge for 5 or 6 string sweeps. For 3 or 4 string triads I use my wrist and don't bother moving my hand away from the bridge.

i kinda do this i use both for anything larger than 3 strings and normally i sweep at the neck because im usually tapping in the sweep but its really what is most comfortable for you