Alright so i dont know a lot about active pickups. I've heard they cover more ground and are more versatile than passive, which is what I need.

I've also heard that when you use active pickups the wood on the guitar etc.. doesnt really matter, but amp eqing is a lot more sensitive. I've heard there are certain ways to eq active pickups. How do you eq active pickups?

So i just want to know what is true and what is false.

Oh and what active pickups should i get for

Bridge pickup: Nice cleans, and very nice and sexy lead tone. Very fludiy. Solos like those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5S6KLC2kV8 solo at 2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsF9ntWIZY solo at 1:50

Neck pickup: I would just like a nice thick rhythm tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3hP9Sd1sM&feature=related intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1kEc4OHU4 intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irj_jpXkNd8 intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEg_s318FlQ 1:07-1:20

Neck & Bridge

I would primarily use this for clean. I dont really use this much so, its not really important to me.

I realize all the examples above are metal related, but i will be playing in a indie band also so i would like tons of versatility with the pickups.

Also if there is a specific guitar that will cover most of this feel free to recommend me a guitar.

New or Used: used is fine

Home or Gig: Home, Gig, Recording, rehearsals

Current Gear:Right now i have a Peavey vypyr 30, and a 80s fernandes. I will have a 90s rectifier by the time i buy this, and thats it. After the guitar i'll buy the pedals.

Closest City: Where i live. I have guitar shops near me so no worries about that.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by Aashraya
I've heard they cover more ground and are more versatile than passive, which is what I need.

Whoever told you that is a complete, and utter idiot; who should never be listened to ever again
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Whoever told you that is a complete, and utter idiot; who should never be listened to ever again

haha i'm happy and sad depending on what that would mean. Passives are equally versatile or Actives or passives cant achieve what i want?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by MatrixClaw

Wasn't me

But yeah, actives do only one thing extremely well, and that is Metal.

If you want nice cleans look at a strat or tele, if you want metal with ok cleans look at some ESP's or Ibanez's.
Quote by Aashraya
haha i'm happy and sad depending on what that would mean. Passives are equally versatile or Actives or passives cant achieve what i want?

Actives are extremely limiting because their high output doesn't make them suitable for aything other than metal, really. it's hard to get a dynamic sound from them. If you're going to be playing straight forward, distroted-all-the-time metal, they're great for that. But if you want a clean sound, or a slighty overdriven sound you can clean up, or anything beaisdes metal, just get passives. It's always easier to add gain on top of a passive than it is to try and clean up actives.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Wasn't me

But yeah, actives do only one thing extremely well, and that is Metal.

If you want nice cleans look at a strat or tele, if you want metal with ok cleans look at some ESP's or Ibanez's.

Ah!! crap... :P i was hoping to have something really versatile but ehh..

Hmm well i like fender necks but i would prefer ESP/Ibanez sound. I would like the width of the neck to be smaller than the ibanez. Thickness wise i dont mind too much thickness i just dont want to get a les paul thickness. Any guitars that are in between quality build?

and are their any guitar(or pickups) that can do metal but have decent cleans? ( i mean i think okay cleans might be fine for songs my band writes (which dont have a lot of cleans) but when we cover a RHCP song i hope it wont sound like crap?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Jhachey22
Actives are extremely limiting because their high output doesn't make them suitable for aything other than metal, really. it's hard to get a dynamic sound from them. If you're going to be playing straight forward, distroted-all-the-time metal, they're great for that. But if you want a clean sound, or a slighty overdriven sound you can clean up, or anything beaisdes metal, just get passives. It's always easier to add gain on top of a passive than it is to try and clean up actives.

This is great news. I acutely didn't want actives but someone on EG told me that me not wanting actives is going to limit my sound.

"Frankly, the only way to really get both tones in one guitar and amp would be to go for a fully processed, fully active system; but you've said you don't want that. So sticking to a standard amp and passive pickups, you need to decide which kind of tone is more important to you, or you need to start thinking about getting more than one guitar. No matter how many coil split, phase, series/parallel and other switches you put on a guitar, you'll never get that wide rnage of tones with one guitar and a typical amp."

heres is the quote. I dont know if i misread it but it seems like its saying i would need actives pickups to get versatility?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
wrong! actives do everything well if you get the correct ones. most people associate them with metal because the stereotype that EMG 81/85 or SD Blackouts are the best and only things out there. This is completely wrong. There are single coil actives that are noiseless yet have a tonne of gain on tap for example, yet remain clean. There's things like the EMG 60 that have one of the best clean humbucker sounds around in my opinion but can get super dirty, and have an incredible solo sound.

You have to remember that actives were originally invented for jazz, which uses very complex chords. Actives have more clarity and less tonal colouration than passives. So whether you're using a lot of distortion, light distortion, or a completely clean sound, it'll come through much more transparent and more of the chord sound you're after will be heard.

Rant Over!

Now, since you're looking for metal and cleans, i would actually just suggest going with EMG 81/60. The 81 will give a damn good metal sound (cleans arent good on it however). Its the standard for a reason. The 60 is the pickup i have been using the most. I get compliments from everybody about my clean sound and my distorted sounds, and everybody wonders what that "pedal" was that i used to solo. All three answers are just my EMG 60 pickup with different amp channels. I rarely use the 81 in the bridge after finding the proper EQ for the 60.

Keep in mind as well i've been gigging for years and have used almost every guitar and pickup under the sun (thats available for me to use in canada). My favourite pickups are still the EMG 81/60. It takes a little bit of EQing to get the sounds exactly where you want it, but its completely worth it in the end.
Quote by Aashraya
This is great news. I acutely didn't want actives but someone on EG told me that me not wanting actives is going to limit my sound.

"Frankly, the only way to really get both tones in one guitar and amp would be to go for a fully processed, fully active system; but you've said you don't want that. So sticking to a standard amp and passive pickups, you need to decide which kind of tone is more important to you, or you need to start thinking about getting more than one guitar. No matter how many coil split, phase, series/parallel and other switches you put on a guitar, you'll never get that wide rnage of tones with one guitar and a typical amp."

heres is the quote. I dont know if i misread it but it seems like its saying i would need actives pickups to get versatility?

People in EG are dumbasses, end of story.

You can get a huge range of tones with one guitar and nice pickups. Most ESP models come with two different pickups, certain colors come with EMGs and others come with Duncan JB/Jazz, the Duncans are much more versatile and sound a lot better IMO. The Schecter C-1 Classic also has the same pickups and is my favorite guitar they make.

Quote by User_Name336
You have to remember that actives were originally invented for jazz, which uses very complex chords.

Yes, and jazz players usually have a dead, lifeless sound.

Quote by User_Name336
Actives have more clarity and less tonal colouration than passives.

WRONG.

A good set of passives will destroy any active in clarity.

I used to be a huge EMG fan, then I tried a good set of passives and will never go back.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
wrong! actives do everything well if you get the correct ones. most people associate them with metal because the stereotype that EMG 81/85 or SD Blackouts are the best and only things out there. This is completely wrong. There are single coil actives that are noiseless yet have a tonne of gain on tap for example, yet remain clean. There's things like the EMG 60 that have one of the best clean humbucker sounds around in my opinion but can get super dirty, and have an incredible solo sound.

You have to remember that actives were originally invented for jazz, which uses very complex chords. Actives have more clarity and less tonal colouration than passives. So whether you're using a lot of distortion, light distortion, or a completely clean sound, it'll come through much more transparent and more of the chord sound you're after will be heard.

Rant Over!

Now, since you're looking for metal and cleans, i would actually just suggest going with EMG 81/60. The 81 will give a damn good metal sound (cleans arent good on it however). Its the standard for a reason. The 60 is the pickup i have been using the most. I get compliments from everybody about my clean sound and my distorted sounds, and everybody wonders what that "pedal" was that i used to solo. All three answers are just my EMG 60 pickup with different amp channels. I rarely use the 81 in the bridge after finding the proper EQ for the 60.

Keep in mind as well i've been gigging for years and have used almost every guitar and pickup under the sun (thats available for me to use in canada). My favourite pickups are still the EMG 81/60. It takes a little bit of EQing to get the sounds exactly where you want it, but its completely worth it in the end.

okay so now i'm back to square one. A year and a half ago i was really into the EMG 81/60 combo, because i heard the 60 had good cleans and 81 for rythm etc. That was before i was on UG and more i read i heard the EMG were generic so i stayed away but now i dont know anymore!!! :P

Someone clarify who is right?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MatrixClaw
People in EG are dumbasses, end of story.

You can get a huge range of tones with one guitar and nice pickups. Most ESP models come with two different pickups, certain colors come with EMGs and others come with Duncan JB/Jazz, the Duncans are much more versatile and sound a lot better IMO. The Schecter C-1 Classic also has the same pickups and is my favorite guitar they make.

Yea Schecter was the brand i was looking at. Coil split and the pickups they offered was perfect for me, but the neck is to thick for my taste (atleast people said when i said what kind of neck i wanted). I mean i think i would get used to it but for playing like Frusciante & Hendrix my finger arent long enough to cover around the neck.

Although this is from what i've heard. The nice stores around my area dont carry schecter they have more fenders and gibsons, so i wont know until i go to GC to try them out.

Could you guys recommend me a certain guitar or pickups i could try out?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Actives have a couple of different uses.

1) They do high output very well (duh)
2) They are pretty much noiseless
3) The output means rolling down volume effects your tone/gain structure far less

I used EMGS exclusively for something like 5 years, but recently switched back to passives and probably won't use actives for a long time/ever. Even for metal, I found the dimarzio I put in my bridge had much more clarity and articulation while retaining quite a high level of output.

I would definitely recommend a solid set of passives for the reqs you specified
Quote by denied
Actives have a couple of different uses.

1) They do high output very well (duh)
2) They are pretty much noiseless
3) The output means rolling down volume effects your tone/gain structure far less

I used EMGS exclusively for something like 5 years, but recently switched back to passives and probably won't use actives for a long time/ever. Even for metal, I found the dimarzio I put in my bridge had much more clarity and articulation while retaining quite a high level of output.

I would definitely recommend a solid set of passives for the reqs you specified

Alright thanks, but any specific pickups? Because i'm still clueless when it comes to pickups.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If you wanted something pretty boutique then you could look at some of the British manufacturers - Rockmonkey and Bareknuckle spring to mind, probably drop them and email and they'll suggest the best combination for your guitar/amp/style. I've got an EMG 81/85 set in my Explorer, and to be honest, it doesn't really manage much except for metal - cleans up nicely, but other than high gain, it's very mediocre.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by denied
Well, I use my neck and bridge pickups for opposite ends than what you have listed, but

I use a dimarzio crunch lab in the bridge and cannot recommend it enough. Like I said, rhythms are articulate, defined, yet aggressive.

For bridge look at the dimarzio tone zone, evolutions, and air norton.

okay thank you. Well i'm not completely set on how i will use the pickups. That way i use it is just from past experience with my older guitars. Who knows other guitars might sound better in different positions. I have a very open mind so if it can get the sound i want it doesnt make a difference if it is a Dimarzio or orange juice.

Quote by Hidden Hippo
If you wanted something pretty boutique then you could look at some of the British manufacturers - Rockmonkey and Bareknuckle spring to mind, probably drop them and email and they'll suggest the best combination for your guitar/amp/style. I've got an EMG 81/85 set in my Explorer, and to be honest, it doesn't really manage much except for metal - cleans up nicely, but other than high gain, it's very mediocre.

Well i mean would getting a boutique pickup make that big of difference. I really wouldn't want to spend 200-400$ on a 600$ guitar. My guitar money right now is tight as i'm about to purchase a new amp too.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
Well i mean would getting a boutique pickup make that big of difference. I really wouldn't want to spend 200-400$ on a 600$ guitar. My guitar money right now is tight as i'm about to purchase a new amp too.

Yes, it will. compare a generic PAF copy like a GFS or a SD to a GWD Fillmore or a Bareknuckle stormy monday and you'll hear the difference quality makes.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
emgs can do anything well, they just do metal better than anything else. and by anything else i dont mean that emgs excel at metal better than any other style, i mean they excel at metal better than other pickups(there are exceptions liek blackouts etc but you know what i mean) it doesnt mean they cant do good cleans too.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
emgs can do anything well, they just do metal better than anything else. and by anything else i dont mean that emgs excel at metal better than any other style, i mean they excel at metal better than other pickups(there are exceptions liek blackouts etc but you know what i mean) it doesnt mean they cant do good cleans too.

My guess is, you haven't used many pickups then.

The Duncan El Diablo in my PRS and BKP Painkillers in my Ibanez absolutely destroy the EMGs in my Les Paul. Granted, those are both expensive pickups... But the Duncan JB is also one of my favorite pickups for metal, and it's cheaper than EMGs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by denied
Boutique pickups are great, but shouldn't necessarily be a priority. ~95% of your tone is all amp, I would make sure you are happy in that department before spending a huge amount on pickups.

hmm well i'm buying a triple rec 2 channel. I'm pretty happy with the tone from that amp when i played it at my local store.

Its just i miss the tone from my old guitar, but i love the feel of my current guitar.

Although that is comparison from a vypyr 30.

Quote by Jhachey22
Yes, it will. compare a generic PAF copy like a GFS or a SD to a GWD Fillmore or a Bareknuckle stormy monday and you'll hear the difference quality makes.

well obviously they will have a difference, but i mean will it be worth the cash, because i mean for 600$ i wont be able to afford alot.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
well obviously they will have a difference, but i mean will it be worth the cash, because i mean for 600$ i wont be able to afford alot.

Get the amp first, then if you really don't like your tone, do a pickup swap.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
Get the amp first, then if you really don't like your tone, do a pickup swap.

okay will do. I think you guys might have mistook what i mean. I would prefer a new guitar. 600$ is not just for pickup swap lol.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
A quote from the rock monkey site is something along the lines that great pups in a trash guitar can still sound amazing

this being said, if you like the feel of your guitar, boutique pups CAN make your guitar sound very SIMILAR to more expensive guitars, so, if I were you, thinkand mull and think and check funds then decide whether you'd like a new guitar or what

as far as what pups are good, what tone type would you like? And what is you high and low end budget

Ideas about output level, bright vs dark, etc will help us give more specific examples

hope that helps some
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by MatrixClaw
My guess is, you haven't used many pickups then.

The Duncan El Diablo in my PRS and BKP Painkillers in my Ibanez absolutely destroy the EMGs in my Les Paul. Granted, those are both expensive pickups... But the Duncan JB is also one of my favorite pickups for metal, and it's cheaper than EMGs.

Hell yeah!!! Painkiller's forever!! I love mine, it gets decent cleans tool.

As a great all around pickup, my neighbor swears by the DiMarzio ToneZone, and I take the word of a man who has been a 25 year guitarist who has traveled the world in various bands and now builds guitars.

An inbetween type neck of a Fender and Ibanez would prolly be a PRS SE of some sort, thin neck, wider fretboad, so I might look into some of those.
Quote by MatrixClaw

I'm sorry, but you're a complete and utter bandwagon idiot, not TS. The OP was very true - active pickups are the most versatile pickups you can get. They are extremely transparent compared to passives, and can be made to sound good for anything depending on what amp you run them through.

TS, get an amp before pickups. It's ridiculously more important. Save up more if you can, and make guitar your secondary concern. Or just get something cheap that will tide you over - once you have an amazing amp, it literally won't matter what guitar you have, it will sound good through your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ethan_hanus
Hell yeah!!! Painkiller's forever!! I love mine, it gets decent cleans tool.

As a great all around pickup, my neighbor swears by the DiMarzio ToneZone, and I take the word of a man who has been a 25 year guitarist who has traveled the world in various bands and now builds guitars.

An inbetween type neck of a Fender and Ibanez would prolly be a PRS SE of some sort, thin neck, wider fretboad, so I might look into some of those.

Its is not thinness more width wise i'm worried about. If the SE is anyhting like the Mcarty i dont like it. And PRS custom 24 is my fav guitar so it hurts to not like the neck on it :P.

Quote by Offworld92
I'm sorry, but you're a complete and utter bandwagon idiot, not TS. The OP was very true - active pickups are the most versatile pickups you can get. They are extremely transparent compared to passives, and can be made to sound good for anything depending on what amp you run them through.

TS, get an amp before pickups. It's ridiculously more important. Save up more if you can, and make guitar your secondary concern. Or just get something cheap that will tide you over - once you have an amazing amp, it literally won't matter what guitar you have, it will sound good through your amp.

yea i know iknow i'm getting a triple rec in 10-15 days.

Quote by Metalmaker
A quote from the rock monkey site is something along the lines that great pups in a trash guitar can still sound amazing

this being said, if you like the feel of your guitar, boutique pups CAN make your guitar sound very SIMILAR to more expensive guitars, so, if I were you, thinkand mull and think and check funds then decide whether you'd like a new guitar or what

as far as what pups are good, what tone type would you like? And what is you high and low end budget

Ideas about output level, bright vs dark, etc will help us give more specific examples

hope that helps some

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350596

Most of the info should be there.

Well i just think i made a mistake buying this guitar. It has fret buzz which is bothering the crap out of me. I did think about just swaping the pups but idk..
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Offworld92

THIS is why actives are not versatile. run thm through anything lower than 30 watts, bye bye clean tone. and they are definitely not transparent. transparent = no addition to the natural tone of the guitar. EMGs sound the same no matter which guitar you put them in. I'd hardly call that transparent.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Aashraya
Its is not thinness more width wise i'm worried about. If the SE is anyhting like the Mcarty i dont like it. And PRS custom 24 is my fav guitar so it hurts to not like the neck on it :P.

Nah, if you get a PRS Custom 24 SE, it'll be just like the actual custom 24, but built to less quality, but have the same neck design, and feel to it, as in average wood, average hardware, average pickups.

Or you could swap out for some nice passives, you'll just have a spare battery box not being used, I would hide picks in it, so I'd never loose them to the pick gnomes.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Nah, if you get a PRS Custom 24 SE, it'll be just like the actual custom 24, but built to less quality, but have the same neck design, and feel to it, as in average wood, average hardware, average pickups.

Or you could swap out for some nice passives, you'll just have a spare battery box not being used, I would hide picks in it, so I'd never loose them to the pick gnomes.

haha thats funny:P

okay well i thought the PRS neck was a bit big width wise for my taste but it did feel awesome. That might be because of the curves but idk. Well the PRS Custom did have great everything tone wise. How does the Se compare tone wise.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
haha thats funny:P

okay well i thought the PRS neck was a bit big width wise for my taste but it did feel awesome. That might be because of the curves but idk. Well the PRS Custom did have great everything tone wise. How does the Se compare tone wise.

From what I've heard and seen, they sound pretty good for being so cheap, needs new pickups though as the stock ones are not so great, other than that, the trems are usually nice and stay in tune decently, the tuners are sturdy, other than that, it's really just the pickups.

I like PRS necks alot, I play on a Squier, and it has a neck like a Ibanez Wizard type neck, I swear, exact same neck, and they are very thin and not wide at all, and I love the feel of a PRS over my Squier, I have clumsy hands, so small necks don't do well for picking and such, but make it awesome for heavy rhythm's.

It's really all about feel, if you don't like the feel of the guitar, then don't waste your money on it, once you find a guitar that feels the best in your hands, and you want something different from it, I say upgrade the hardware on it and throw in a set of pickups that fit your style the most, which is what I have done with my Squier.
Quote by ethan_hanus
From what I've heard and seen, they sound pretty good for being so cheap, needs new pickups though as the stock ones are not so great, other than that, the trems are usually nice and stay in tune decently, the tuners are sturdy, other than that, it's really just the pickups.

I like PRS necks alot, I play on a Squier, and it has a neck like a Ibanez Wizard type neck, I swear, exact same neck, and they are very thin and not wide at all, and I love the feel of a PRS over my Squier, I have clumsy hands, so small necks don't do well for picking and such, but make it awesome for heavy rhythm's.

It's really all about feel, if you don't like the feel of the guitar, then don't waste your money on it, once you find a guitar that feels the best in your hands, and you want something different from it, I say upgrade the hardware on it and throw in a set of pickups that fit your style the most, which is what I have done with my Squier.

thanks. I've come to realize i made a mistake buying the old fernandes i have. Its not what i want in terms of tone. It is great in cleans but everything else it doesn't suit me. I'm going to try to sell and then have a look at other guitars.

P.S anyone want to buy it from UG? 400$ 80s fernandes. PM me for more info
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
I'm sorry, but you're a complete and utter bandwagon idiot, not TS.

LOL, alright, man

I'm sorry, but maybe you've not seen many of my posts? Not to sound like a cocky asshole - that's not at all where I'm going, but I have never been one around here to follow bandwagons, if anything - I've created them (though, obviously not on purpose). Whether you choose to "follow" them is your own choice and I respect that you have your own opinion, but every single guitar I've owned that had a decent set of passive pickups, completely and utterly raped the **** out of actives in terms of versatility.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 16, 2010,
I agree that actives aren't more versatile than passives but only good for metal? David Gilmour would like to have a word with you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yes, and jazz players usually have a dead, lifeless sound.

I'd take offense to that. But it's true.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I'd take offense to that. But it's true.

Hahahahha thats funny.

So guys what do you think i should do?

I love the feel of my guitar but i really dont like the tone. Also the guitar had major fretbuzz if i change tunings to drop C. Its probably because the strings are 9s but even in Standard the first 3 frets have buzz. Now this is making me hate this thing the most. So i have an option of selling it and buying brand new or keeping it and trying to fix it.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Aashraya
Hahahahha thats funny.

So guys what do you think i should do?

I love the feel of my guitar but i really dont like the tone. Also the guitar had major fretbuzz if i change tunings to drop C. Its probably because the strings are 9s but even in Standard the first 3 frets have buzz. Now this is making me hate this thing the most. So i have an option of selling it and buying brand new or keeping it and trying to fix it.

I would try to fix it up, if your having fret buzz, then you might change the action on the guitar, and make it slightly higher, and throw some .011 gauge strings on there.

Put some Graphtech Teflon Nut and saddles on it to help with tuning stability, tone, and sustain, which you can get here: www.graphtech.com, I swear by their products.

For pickups, I love Barenuckle, no matter which pickup you get, you will not be disappointed. The Warpig, Painkiller(bright), the MM, Nailbombs, all are awesome versatile passive humbuckers, expensive as hell, but worth it. You can get them at a nice price here: www.guitarasylum.com

And there are two other awesome custom pickup makers in America that are just as good as Barenuckle, but cheaper, but I can't friggen remember the names, ones like...monkey something and the other is Iron something.....help me out guys.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I would try to fix it up, if your having fret buzz, then you might change the action on the guitar, and make it slightly higher, and throw some .011 gauge strings on there.

Put some Graphtech Teflon Nut and saddles on it to help with tuning stability, tone, and sustain, which you can get here: www.graphtech.com, I swear by their products.

For pickups, I love Barenuckle, no matter which pickup you get, you will not be disappointed. The Warpig, Painkiller(bright), the MM, Nailbombs, all are awesome versatile passive humbuckers, expensive as hell, but worth it. You can get them at a nice price here: www.guitarasylum.com

And there are two other awesome custom pickup makers in America that are just as good as Barenuckle, but cheaper, but I can't friggen remember the names, ones like...monkey something and the other is Iron something.....help me out guys.

thanks a lot man! I'm not having tuning problems. this things stays in tune even if i move the whammy up and down for an hour straight. So is the graphtech Teflon nut and saddles necessary? Btw i heard sometime lowering the action can help the buzz, This would be better but i'll try the action and string gauge.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit