Page 1 of 6
A man in Williamson County, Texas, has become the first man to be given a life sentence for repeat drink-drive convictions. The prosecution attorney called for the harsh sentence due to the extreme likelihood that the man would not only reoffend but also end up killing someone.

This was the man's NINTH conviction for the same offense.

from the article:
'This is someone who very deliberately has refused to make changes and continued to get drunk and get in a car and before he kills someone we decided to put him away,' said Williamson County District Attorney John Bradley.

Article-
http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/repeat_offender_becomes_first_person.html

Whilst I can agree with the reasoning, surely a life sentence is a little OTT?
It is not, he had 8 times to stop drinking and driving, he should rot away in jail.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Think of it this way though, if you saw a news article that said a man who had been convicted 9 times for drink driving, had had another accident and killed a family of 4, you'd probably say;

"why the hell wasn't this guy locked up a long time ago?"

serves him right.
Quote by Guitardude19
The only things I kill are wasps, flies, and slugs.

And I dont do it nicely either. I boiled a slug in highly saturated salt water and put a wasp in a microwave. I hate wasps so much.
I guess he couldn't beer to give up drinking and driving.

EDIT: I bet he whiskey'd stopped before he got sentenced to life!

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
It is not, he had 8 times to stop drinking and driving, he should rot away in jail.

The words 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' come to mind.
I hate the term 'drink-drive'.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Seems that he either has a drink problem or a serious mental issue. Surely dealing with that is cheaper than putting him in jail?
Over the top?

Think about it this way, if he had killed someone the ninth time he got drunk and decided to drive he would have got life considering his previous charges. The fact that he didn't kill someone was pure luck, his intention was exactly the same so why don't we punish him in the same way?
Quote by 12345abcd3
Over the top?

Think about it this way, if he had killed someone the ninth time he got drunk and decided to drive he would have got life considering his previous charges. The fact that he didn't kill someone was pure luck, his intention was exactly the same so why don't we punish him in the same way?

Most drink-drivers don't INTEND to kill anyone, except in a handful of rare cases.
Lock him in AA, now if he happens to commit vehicular manslaughter whilst drunk..that's a different story.
I don't have an issue with it. The man was given 8 chances to get his poop in a pile.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I hate to be a grammar hound, but this thread is full of fail in that regard.

Drink problem? Really?

OT: I am not sure how I feel about this. I guess it is good because he won't kill someone...but the odds seem to be against him at this point. I mean, 9 times of getting caught and countless others where he didn't and he never killed anyone. Idk, just idk.

EDIT: My god, is it called drink-driving in Europe or Canada? Around here I believe it is called "drunk driving" or "driving under the influence."
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Last edited by OctaVariuM8 at Aug 15, 2010,
He should've just been given a long rehab time, where you can't leave. That's where ALL drug/alcohol offenders should be. Not in jail. These people need a different kind of help.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by Chrisseh
Same as everyone else- not over the top, drink driving should be a life sentence way before the 9th time.

THat would CERTAINLY solve the prison overcrowding issues in the US...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
THat would CERTAINLY solve the prison overcrowding issues in the US...

People would stop drinking and driving because the punishment would be too big.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by StewieSwan
I hate the term 'drink-drive'.

Why? surely it's pretty apt for what it's describing.
I found out earlier, just a sidenote, that it actually costs more to keep thieves in jail then the actual amount the steal.. that's quite ridiculous.
And actually, I do agree with rehab, this is more of a disease than a crime.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Most drink-drivers don't INTEND to kill anyone, except in a handful of rare cases.
Exactly, what's the difference between a drunk driver who doesn't intend to kill someone but does and another that doesn't intend to kill someone and is lucky enough not to. He has smashed into cars before so it clearly luck rather than, for example, the ability to drive normaly despite being over the limit.
Quote by kaptink
Why? surely it's pretty apt for what it's describing.

Drunk driving is more correct. When you switch it, it becomes driving drunk, which still makes sense. Driving drink, however, doesn't.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Oh that's alright then.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Why not just go the full way and execute them?!

You're cracking a nut with a 14lb sledgehammer.

If you want an execution, I'll be the executioner...
He should have gotten 10 years or so, but not Life...son of a bitch had it coming though; he should not be drinking that much, let alone drive whilst drunk.
EDIT: Noone seeing the my Rush reference in there...? Sorry, just had to. Rush is awesome! <_<

Ædit:
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Actually there was a study. (IIRC.) That showed states that support capital punishment actually have higher murder rates. Stricter punishments don't prevent crime. People in Saudi Arabia still commit adultery, despite the fact if they're caught they'll be brutally murdered.

I think the differenes between rich and poor, as well as the amount of poorer people contribue a bit there. The differences are bigger in US than in Norway, as well as guns being more accessible. Just saying.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Actually there was a study. (IIRC.) That showed states that support capital punishment actually have higher murder rates. Stricter punishments don't prevent crime. People in Saudi Arabia still commit adultery, despite the fact if they're caught they'll be brutally murdered.

Studies like that are always complete and utter shite.

The first rule of experimental design is that you must have appropriate samples - people from two different countries, religions, and cultures aren't appropriate samples.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

This is not capital punishment though just in prison for life, and there will always be people who commit crimes no matter what the punishment, increasing the punishment just reduces it a bit.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by sfaune92
He should have gotten 10 years or so, but not Life...son of a bitch had it coming though; he should have cut the drinking.

10 years seems reasonable.
I don't agree with drinking and driving, but surely there is a better way to deal with someone that you're just assuming will eventually kill someone.
Quote by StewieSwan
Drunk driving is more correct. When you switch it, it becomes driving drunk, which still makes sense. Driving drink, however, doesn't.

That's fair enough I guess.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Wow... that is a very low intelligence statement Look up the statistics.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The words 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' come to mind.

Please Sir! Nut the Sledgehammer to my precious beer bottle...???

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It was from a book that questioned the reliability of similar studies.

And bigger punishments don't mean people are less likely to commit a crime, they just mean to person knows it's going to suck a lot worse if they get caught.

A.k.a deterrence.

I'm actually against the death penalty, but those studies are hopeless.
Quote by SgtSquiggles
A.k.a deterrence.

I'm actually against the death penalty, but those studies are hopeless.

And deterrence works so well to stop people smoking cannab...

Wait.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

which is exactly why no one sells crack or murders anyone anymore. oh wait.

its dumb to send someone to jail for life because they may kill someone in the future. if you want to send someone to jail for 9 drunk driving offenses, thats another issue entirely, but to hinge it on something that may or may not happen is completely ludicrous.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Well he clearly isn't going to stop doing it. However, I'm undecided on the punishment. I don't really have too much of a problem with it, though. He's just lucky he hasn't killed himself, let alone anyone else.
Quote by MightyAl
And deterrence works so well to stop people smoking cannab...

Wait.

Oh good god you fail.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah, and why muggings and burglaries are so rare...

Wait.

Just as good