Page 1 of 3
*cough*SPIDER*cough*
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
^^thats an ingenious bridge... i never thought that deep into it when i built mine
inb4 MG

As far as worst gear I'VE ever tried goes, the solid state Spiders take home the gold for me. Too digital sounding...
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by rocknrolldude43
inb4 MG.

However, as far as worst gear I've ever tried goes, the solid state Spiders take home the gold. Too digital sounding...

IMO, if a spider is the worst you've played, you've had it pretty good. Just cause there are better choices for the price doesn't mean they're horrific amps.
Quote by josephde
^^thats an ingenious bridge... i never thought that deep into it when i built mine

I actually thought that when i posted it.
Fender Cyber series.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Spider III - sounds like shit on every channel
Harley Benton 10W solid state amp - dull on clean and ZZZZZZ on the OD-channel
Harley Benton Banjo-style acoustic - felt like a 6-stringed POS and couldn't stay in tune at all
Ibanez Artcore - can't stand that thin neck and it went out of tune in seconds
some cheap acoustics at school - awkwardly high action, weak tone, messed up intonation
Behring V-Amp - our school amp, it takes you from thin clean/crunch to muddy mid/high gain which can't cut through no matter what you do
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Spiders and Boss pedals.

EDIT:
Digitech multi effects pedals
Last edited by sandyman323 at Aug 15, 2010,
any practice amp that runs on batteries.

Also: spiders,MGs and boss pedals. i have now summed up what 98% of people are going to say ITT.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 15, 2010,
some esp/ltd 50 thing i bealive it was called. the input jack fell out of it, i cut my finger on a fret sticking off the side. the neck had a crack in it and it sounded awful
Quote by Dream Floyd
*cough*SPIDER*cough*

¬______¬

What's with all the hate on Spiders?
I really don't get it..
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Harley Benton 20w bass amp - forgot the name of that thing. Turn it up a bit, pluck the e-string... you know what this is? That's right, it's the power supply failing to provide the amp with enough power to sustain the note.
A Firtst Act ME 537 into a Digitech Metal Master going into a First Act ME 20... or I think those were the First act amp and guitar :/
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
gibson les paul and marshall amp. the guitar never stayed in tune(the worst ive ever had) and the amp caught on fire after owning it for a week!!
Wow where do I start! Lol I'm very glad for starting when I did years ahead of the modeling era so I never had to play a line 6 or whatever lol.

(Let me put on my helmet now) EMG pickups ,I used to love them in a les paul before I bought another les paul with stock pickups the sound was so much smoother and bigger with passives...
Marshall valvestate 8100(I think that was the model number) couldn't beleve I dropped 900 for that halfstack after I got a jcm 800 for 450 bucks....I try to stay at least 50 feet away from solid states now lol

Those big ugly green electro harmonix pedals that had almost no bypass at all....you could make the small stone sound like a toliet running with your guitar volume down lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
There was this one piece of kit, after you plug in, all she does is this high-pitched whining noise. Really annoying.

I think it was called... your mom!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Taking into account the price and hype, Ovation guitars. Terribly overpriced pieces of crap with shit tone.

Oh, were we talking about amps and gear? OK, just to keep it controversial, the Peavey Valveking combos and that annoying buzz they call distortion.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Aug 15, 2010,
My girlfriends (old) guitar is hands down the worst I've ever played. It does not stay in tune for longer than a couple of minutes, one of the tuning pegs is reversed, the screws in the back point in random directions at 45 degree angles, and the nut came off when I showed her how to restring it.

I don't quite get the Spider hate, they're not great but they're not that bad. Definately not the worst amp I've ever played.

Also what's with the sudden hate for Boss pedals? Unless we are talking purely their distortion pedals
Quote by Larry O.
gibson les paul and marshall amp. the guitar never stayed in tune(the worst ive ever had) and the amp caught on fire after owning it for a week!!

Obvious troll is obvious?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
i've used a spider live and its not the worse i've heard then again after its been put through the PA a marshall dsl was made to sound almost identical to a 15 watt spider iii

i think the worst was one of those pocket amp things by marshall someone tried to mic up
The standard (not the awesome hardwires!) Digitech pedals all sounded like crap to me. I wanted a good bluesy sound, so why not try the Screamin' Blues pedal, huh? Wrong. It sounded worse than the distortion on a Marshall MG, which is the worst amp I've played through.

Also, Ernie ball strings. Yes, they sounded good and heavy but only for 2 days, then they completely rusted up.

And guitars... harley benton. And talking about a bit more expensive guitars, an Epiphone embassy bass, which I own for the reason that I needed a 5 string.

As for electric guitars, a cheap Ibanez that I wanted to throw against the wall, and would if it wouldn't cost me.
Hmmm boss pedals sucking? Wow I've never heard anyone say that...some of the greatest guitarists of all time use boss pedals...I've never had one I didn't love I mean there are better brands but overall for the money boss can't be beat
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I've never actually owned a shitty piece of gear before. I've played Spiders a few times but honestly I have just two complaints. The mids/highs sound flat but you can listen to them alright. The lows are just god awful.
gibson is just an overpriced p.o.s!! and ill never spend the money on a jcm900!! Im happy with my new black machine and engl!!!!
Boss are pretty shit besides the delays, loopers and phaser i quite like. And EHX usually slaughters them in the value for money department. ^

To be fair people saying spiders and boss pedals are just spoilt, i can garuntee i can think of 10000 setups that would sound far worse.

Heres an example, with big pics just to put it into perspective.

Some POS Jasmine acoustic.

Epi LP Special II (shitty fret ends cut my finger)

Fender Frontman 10w practice amp
Quote by beckyjc
Boss are pretty shit besides the delays, loopers and phaser i quite like. And EHX usually slaughters them in the value for money department. ^

To be fair people saying spiders and boss pedals are just spoilt, i can garuntee i can think of 10000 setups that would sound far worse.

I'm sure you can, but OP said that YOU'VE used.
The worst piece of gear I've used is a Spider III 15w
Yes, based on a lot of the low-end POS gear I could have, I would say I'm not THAT bad off, but it's still the worst gear I've used.
Not tryin' to get smart with you, I'm just trying to clarify the OP.
The worst gear I've used? Behringer pedals. I had(have) the unfortunate joy of owning some. I had to borrow a Spider iii to play onstage and never got it to sound great. However, I did tweak the crap out of it and got it to sound usable. They are by far not the worst amps out there, but they are most certainly not good.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
hmm worst gear... worst gear... Marshall MG15FX lets just go to this conclusion... ALL Marshall mgs suck. I expected a lot more from a great company, everything except MGs are great, i just love a JCM800 Head
Quote by darkwolf291
I'm sure you can, but OP said that YOU'VE used.
The worst piece of gear I've used is a Spider III 15w
Yes, based on a lot of the low-end POS gear I could have, I would say I'm not THAT bad off, but it's still the worst gear I've used.
Not tryin' to get smart with you, I'm just trying to clarify the OP.

Then you're a lucky guy.

^I wouldnt say the AVTs or valvestates are great. Or their cheaper valve amps.
Quote by beckyjc
Then you're a lucky guy.

^I wouldnt say the AVTs or valvestates are great. Or their cheaper valve amps.

I guess when you look at it like that, you're right.
The spider's aren't THAT horrid, there's just better for the price. If, say the 15w only cost say $60, it would be a great amp for $60.
To be fair the spider 15 only costs like £70 here.

A 15 watt amp thats cheap enough for anyone to get their hands on, with enough effects and models to keep a beginner entertained and an on board tuner.

Well id say its a good deal for £70. Or at the very least the best you can do for £70 if you dont wanna buy used.

Its just the big huge spiders are the money wasters.

If my first amp was a 15 watt spider i probably wouldve kept it just to piss about with at night.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 15, 2010,
A Marshall pocket amp I guess, but it was only £30 and it did run on batteries. It was stll crappy but for £30, not bad I suppose.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by beckyjc
To be fair the spider 15 only costs like £70 here.

A 15 watt amp thats cheap enough for anyone to get their hands on, with enough effects and models to keep a beginner entertained and an on board tuner.

Well id say its a good deal for £70. Or at the very least the best you can do for £70 if you dont wanna buy used.

This is a good point. But at where it's priced, you can get a Peavey Vypyr for it, which is better. But, it is a beginner's amp, so it doesn't need to be the best sounding amp in the world. For a beginner amp, it's decent. Let's leave it at that.
Page 1 of 3