I've been having an argument, and basically he's saying we should be more like certain bands, I say we should have our own sound.
Basically it ends up as me saying there's an infinite amount of riffs which sound good to most people who like that genre.

True or false?
inb4 infinite is not a number and physics lectures.
OT: no.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
False, just a very large amount. There's only a certain amount of combinations of notes and rythms.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
errpp false, but you should look for your own sounds instead of copying/merging from others.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
You're both wrong.

At some point you're inadvertently going to write something that's already been written, but you should at least attempt to be original, or just not blatantly rip off of other bands.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It's infinite if it can be of an indefinite length. But clearly it's finite.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
who has the sig that says "infinity is not a number, it's a concept" ?

pretty much that.

^ Also that.
has a terrible signature.
But surely although there are a limited amount of notes, and therefore a limited amount of orders in which they can be played, there is an infinite number of notes which can be used in the riff? Therefore there are infinite possible combinations?
Quote by rgrockr
It's infinite if it can be of an indefinite length. But clearly it's finite.

This.
Quote by Music=Life.
But surely although there are a limited amount of notes, and therefore a limited amount of orders in which they can be played, there is an infinite number of notes which can be used in the riff? Therefore there are infinite possible combinations?

Yes, but it's still not a number

... not that this is even relevant
Quote by Music=Life.

high number x high number = really high number.

really high number =/= infinity
has a terrible signature.
Quote by Music=Life.

This only works if you have never-ending riffs.

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
Quote by Music=Life.

There's no "length" limit so yes, they're inifnite, you don't make it so clear in the OP, I honestly didn't know what you were talking about, I think I still don't.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Music=Life.
Sure there are infinite possible combinations but only a finite number of combinations are actually plausible.
-Chick Corea
Quote by vsdornelas
No, you should play Foghat covers. SLOW RIDE, MOTHERF*CKERS!

Slow ride,
da daaa daa, na na, na na na,
take it eaaaaasy,
da daaa daa, na na, na na na,

Quote by Kensai
2500+ Years of music and there's still new music coming out? I think it's safe to say that there is close to an infinite amount of music and while you could argue "There's only a certain number of combination of notes and rhythms," its an ignorant argument.

Music is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more than notes and rhythems. Sure, there's a point where playing everything in Em and having chuggy breakdowns all sounds the same...
But looking at music from a global stand-point does not have a finite amount that can be made.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
there is only a limit on available riffs, not that the world would run out anytime soon but you can only have so many note combinations since there is a limit of frets and chords. you sould go for an original sound though
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
the mainstream music industry favours a 'sellable' kind of sound, so very catchy with more thought into the production than the skill of the musicians.

So if your not trying to get recognised by the mainstream then i suggest playing what you Enjoy playing through and through, you'll get alot more done that way (songs, gigs, recordings) than trying to play what the maximum amount of people want.

Well, there are more combinations of notes on a guitar than possible combinations for the national lottery numbers, but it doesnt mean they all work together. The limit is set by your imagination, i guess
“All war is deception.” - Sun Tzu
The limit or lack thereof on the number of possible combinations of notes is not the issue here; TS and his band should just dedicate themselves to playing Foreigner/Foghat covers and we should stop this silly argument.
Quote by 100%
there is only a limit on available riffs, not that the world would run out anytime soon but you can only have so many note combinations since there is a limit of frets and chords. you sould go for an original sound though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM&feature=related
-Chick Corea
Um, not to disrupt the thread...but the Foreigner/Foghat covers sounds like an awesome idea.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by food1010
You're both wrong.

At some point you're inadvertently going to write something that's already been written, but you should at least attempt to be original, or just not blatantly rip off of other bands.

/thread

Quote by Pencil Man
Um, not to disrupt the thread...but the Foreigner/Foghat covers sounds like an awesome idea.

Maybe swing in a few Rolling Stone covers.

Can't get no- na na naaa na SATISFACTION!
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

And to finish your set, of course, some Skynyrd.

"'Cause I'm as free as a bird, and this bird you cannot change! *ta na na na na na na* And this bird you cannot change *awesome slide guitar licks*"
You are all forgetting about rythmn in a riff. If you write a riff and extend one note by a microsecond and reduce one by another microsecond, you are creating another riff entirely. Since there are infinite divisions of time, with a finite number of notes and measures one could literally create an unlimited number of melodies.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Only if you do this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpQU68U92wU
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
So what you're trying to say is while your friend believes we should let artists of our particular genre influence them heavily as it it'll make you appeal more to the target audience while you believe we should strive more to be innovators and add new aspects to the music?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
You guys are being way too ****ing scientific, haha.

TS, for all intents and purposes, yes there are boundless amounts of riffs. Technically there isn't, but no real person cares. *glares at the rest of the thread...except the Foriegner fans. They're cool*
You're both wrong.

Forget riffs, more cowbell
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by Wiegenlied
So what you're trying to say is while your friend believes we should let artists of our particular genre influence them heavily as it it'll make you appeal more to the target audience while you believe we should strive more to be innovators and add new aspects to the music?

Pretty much. And your sig is amazing.