Hi guys, sorry I've been asking so many questions lately but I really want to make sure I make the right decision. I am buying a new used amp for hard rock/metal and small gigs. I have narrowed my selection down to two and I'm wondering which one you guys recommend:

Line 6 Flextone 2 XL (2x12) with floorboard $300
it's solid state with a lot of different amp models and effects, i've heard its a great modeller. Lot's of versatility and big floorboard.

Carvin XV112 100 watt tube amp $325 with footswitch
2 channel tube amp with footswitch, ive heard good things about it, my only concern is that it might not reach the high-gain tones im looking for, although i think it should be fine with pedals.

The way I see it, the flextone will provide more versatility and options while the carvin will offer better sound quality and tone. Will a tube amp really be that much more beneficial for live situations? Is it much louder than a modeller and will it cut through the band and be heard better? Help is appreciated, thanks!
While the flextone is an excellent solid state amp, the tube amp will have more character with much better sounding distortion and will take pedals better than the flextone. While how well an amp cuts through the mix really depends on how it's eq'd, in general a tube amp will cut through better than an ss amp. The tube amp is not louder per se, but the frequencies it emits are better perceived by your ears so it seems louder without actually providing more volume. On top of that, from what I hear, the XV 112 (and most carvin products for that matter) has got some excellent tone and will only need a clean boost (not an OD) in order to get the high gain tones you're looking for after you eq it right.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
a clean boost is a pedal that increases your input signal. For example,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX01-Pickup-Booster-Effects-Pedal?sku=150710
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M133-Micro-Amp-Pedal-?sku=151104

These are some excellent boost pedals on the market
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal