I'm looking to put together a "rig" that is highly transportable, but is also fairly decent sounding. The other requirement is that it must be able to keep up with a drummer, a bass stack, and maybe a second guitarist. I play primarily hard rock/classic metal stuff (anything from Soundgarden and Alice in Chains to Megadeth and Slayer.) Here's what I'm considering:

Johnson J-station w/ J-8 foot controller -- I'd be relying on the J-Station to provide my tone and effects. I like it because it's tiny, durable, and provides a wide array of tones (I can go from Pearl Jam to Slayer with the touch of a button.) The foot controller has an expression pedal, so I'm hoping to avoid carrying any other pedals with me. I know most of you are pretty skeptical of modeling amps in general, but it seems like the Johnson stuff always did it better than most other brands. Plus, I can score one for $60 on Ebay!

ZT Lunchbox 200 watt combo -- This will be my power amp/speaker cab. It's affordable and will fit in my backpack. I have yet to play one, but it's my understanding that they take preamps and pedals well and are deafeningly loud (even with just the 6.5" speaker.) As a bonus, the clean tones are supposed to be quite good.

So there it is, my backpack rig. What do you guys think? I suppose I could always add a 2x12 cab for gigs if it will really make a difference in tone quality. Any words of advice (or mockery)? Thanks in advance.
You should just leave a cab at your practice space and travel with a head. Much much easier.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It sounds like a bit of a novelty to me, and I don't know how effective it will be in real life. I don't think it would be very.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Don't bother with the Johnson. Get a decent distortion pedal instead, like a Wamper Pinnacle or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Sid McCall
You should just leave a cab at your practice space and travel with a head. Much much easier.

I'd agree with you, except that I don't have one central practice space. I play with several different goups at several different places around town. Otherwise, I'd just leave an entire stack at my practice space and be done with it.

EDIT: My original post made me sound like an ESL student.
Quote by seemeel
It sounds like a bit of a novelty to me, and I don't know how effective it will be in real life. I don't think it would be very.

What makes you say that?
ok, rather than a back pack, how about one of these?

it will fit a better amp than the ZT.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.