I'm currently using Fender Medium Premium Celluloid picks. I'm just searching for a pick that is good for fast palm mutes, tremolo picking and soloing on the higher strings. I just tried Fender Thin and I am not very satisfied. It was too bendable.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
Dunlop tortex 0.88 mm (Green)
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Dunlop Tortex sharps 73mm.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
I use Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.14 (purple), i think the green ones are even thinner but both would do well for fast accurate picking. Takes abit to get used to using the sharp point but does wonders once your used to it.
“All war is deception.” - Sun Tzu
check in your couch, thats where I go whenever I need a new pick
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
just go to your guitar store an grab a handful of different picks of different material and thicknesses go home and try them, personally 1mm nylon picks are what i use, the tortex ones don`t have enough brightness and definition for my ears
It's called getting better at playing the guitar. Buying a different pick won't instantly make you better at certain things.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
It's called getting better at playing the guitar. Buying a different pick won't instantly make you better at certain things.

well no shit.
I need more comfort on my right hand.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

I use any pick I can find around my room, honestly. I haven't bought a new pack of picks in a very long time.

Off topic:
Oh mah gawsh you're in NH
Dunlop Ultex .60 mm. I switched to them after I discovered I didn't like Jazz III's.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by Mikewazousky
Jim Dunlop Jazz III. After these, you won't go back to any other pick.

Specify, please?
I'm at GC . com right now and i see a bunch with that name.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

I went to NH once, it was nice there.
I didn't see any guitar picks though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
v picks
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
You can do all that with any size pick, it's just down to preference. Some people play well with thin picks, and some with big 2mm picks, such as one of the guitarists from Atreyu, I believe.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
dunlop jazz iii
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
dunlop jazz iii, the regular ones are nice but i like the eric johnson jazz iiis better because they're not as slick and a bit easier to grip, after switching to jazz iiis bigger picks annoy me, my favorite right now though is the dunlop stubby 2.0 mm, similar to the jazz iii but thicker and slightly rounded on the edges

if you play a lot of acoustic or rhythm guitar you might wanna avoid those though, for that kind of stuff I'd recommend dunlop nylons

EDIT: forgot what you said in the OP, yeah jazz iiis or stubbys would be perfect for you
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Aug 15, 2010,
i heard from a local musician that shorter picks will limit the thickness of palm-mutes and the cleanness of solos. Is that true? I'm using Dunlop Jazz IIIs (well I still have half a dozen left) and although I'm happy with those, I am still willing to try anything. Any suggestion ?
Gear:
Spear SHL-1 Evil Monkey
Digitech RP350
Vietnamese Made - Duy Ngọc Acoustic Guitar

Soon my gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Quote by beckyjc
Get the eric johnson Jazz IIIs.

Like Jazz IIIs, but somehow like 10 times better because of the material.

THIS, also, at my guitar center they're a buck cheaper
Jazz III, Black derlin or Ultex
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by JakeIsInsane
I'm currently using Fender Medium Premium Celluloid picks. I'm just searching for a pick that is good for fast palm mutes, tremolo picking and soloing on the higher strings. I just tried Fender Thin and I am not very satisfied. It was too bendable.

Joe Satriani Chrome Dome pick, made by planet waves. Its at least 2 mm thick, and made out of stainless steel. It doesn't bend at all. I have one, and I'm never using regular picks again.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
lol. how many feckin pick threads are there now? I want to make one official so we stop gettin these stupid threads.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by lbj273
check in your couch, thats where I go whenever I need a new pick

Would it kill you to take an extra 3 seconds and actually read the OP?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Jazz III!!!! I bought a pack of both the black and red ones. The black rock for metal, red good for blues/mellow stuff.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by shiz.zle
Dunlop Tortex sharps 73mm.

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dunlop Jazz III XL's.

Imma pick some up. I'm whoring on the Tortex Jazz picks, and still love my old green Dunlops.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Dunlop Tortex 1mm (the blue ones), my personal favorite.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Whoot! One color away!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Go to the nearest guitar store, into their boxes of picks and buy one or two of everything and try them out. I personally used Jazz 3's for years.. first the red, then the black, then the Ultex.

Now I use Fender Medium Teardrop picks and I can't imagine using anything else because they give me the feel and tone I was looking for.
Quote by Shinozoku
^Whoot! One color away!

.88mm's aren't bad either! I just use relatively thick strings so a thicker pick means better rigidity.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
material- every material will give ur guitar a new tone. tial and error here.

thickness- the thicker the pick, the faster u can play, and easier it is to pick fast, but i still keep a thin nylon pick for acoustic rhythyming. this also effects tone.

shape- big, small, different tips, they all feel different. i switch picks with styles, so i keep a few behind the nut.
-its about tone, and balance between chord playability and speed on lead licks. i recently found Star Picks and luv the .73 mm tone!
-Your shadow of doubt.