When I bought my guitar I didn't really know about pickups and all that to get the sound I wanted. I went with what my guitar teacher suggested, an ESP LTD Viper 1000. (EMG 81/85.) I got it for $400 used. The problem is, I don't play any metal. I use a lot of cleans, and the highest gain I get up to is on crunch levels, maybe hard rock. I play mostly alternative and modern rock.

When I get the money, I'm going to buy a Vox AC15C1, so I'll be good amp-wise. I'm just wondering, would it make a big enough difference to be worth it to sell my guitar and get a more clean guitar? I don't really know what an example of a clean guitar is... I was looking at Strats and Teles. If so, suggestions would be great.
aaah i should've prbably put this in the EG forum.... I forgot, I'm so used to posting on this forum.

The question's kind of about pickups? haha.
Active pickups sound good for a lot of different types of music, not just metal. It's all just personal choice, if you don't actually like the sound of the guitar personally, that's when you know you've got the wrong guitar, don't let other people tell you what to use for what.

Also, this should be in the EG forum.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
nah dude youll be fine. emgs arent only for metal, theyre simply very high quality pickups. look into the 18 volt mod for your puropses tho, more headroom and organic...ness.. yeah.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Active pups just have circuitry in them and around them to boost the level of the signal that your pickups generate. It's not that different to putting a boost pedal in front of your amp. However, the preamps in active pickups tend to colour your sound a lot more than a boost pedal would.

The best clean guitar - the big three are the Strat, Tele and LP. After all, they were all originally built before this whole distortion/overdrive thing was even thought of yet.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I say sell it. I if don't play with lots of distortion, single coils guitars are better IMO. get something like a MIM strat or tele. but if you like the feel of your guitar and just don't like the sound, maybe get some humbucker sized p90s.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
emg pickups have high output and compress alot, making them ideal for metal, and in general active pickups arent used much for lighter styles of music, but on the bright side, you got a pretty good deal on the guitar, and if you ever turn to metal you have a great guitar for it. but it should be fine for other genres, one thing to look into is the 18 volt mod which is supposed to give active pickups a more organic sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by chandlerj
aaah i should've prbably put this in the EG forum.... I forgot, I'm so used to posting on this forum.

Meh EGs full of dimwits usually anyway. They will probably tell you to get a schecter hellraiser instead..

Do you like how the guitar feels? Because you may aswell just replace the pickups with something less metal if you like the guitar itself.
Yeah I like the feel of the guitar. I think I'm going to go to my local music shop and see if I like the Strats or Teles. I haven't tried either. If so, Ill sell it and buy a new guitar. There's a Mexican strat in my area for $350 right now. Ill look into the 60x or some kind of different pickup configurationtoo, that sounds like a good alternative.

I think I'd rather try new pickups though... are there any specific pickups that would fit in where the emg's are that are good for what I want?
Last edited by chandlerj at Aug 15, 2010,
Quote by chandlerj
Yeah I like the feel of the guitar. I think I'm going to go to my local music shop and see if I like the Strats or Teles. I haven't tried either. If so, Ill sell it and buy a new guitar. There's a Mexican strat in my area for $350 right now. Ill look into the 60x or some kind of different pickup configurationtoo, that sounds like a good alternative.

I think I'd rather try new pickups though... are there any specific pickups that would fit in where the emg's are that are good for what I want?

Well the guitar will need rewired with different pots and stuff afaik but technically any standard humbuckers will fit hell could even get humbucker sized p90s as was suggested.
whatever you do, definitely try the 18 volt mod while you have that guitar/pickups especially if you like the feel of it. could mean spending 3 bucks on some 9 volt clips and a battery vs like 150-200 on new pickups.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941907&page=1&pp=20&highlight=HOW+to+do+an+EMG+18v+mod
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Ugh...I'm angry at your guitar teacher for recommending that.

You don't need EMGs dude...in fact, they are going to work against you for the type of music you want to play.

I say sell it and get something better suited for what you want to play...like an MIM strat.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
go to a store and try a bunch of guitars. then sell yours for a profit, as you should be able to.

then find a nice used guitar more suited to what you play.

prs se, mim or mij tele or strat, epi/agile/tokai/burny/hagstrom les paul. maybe even a used gibson lp studio. who knows what you will like.

and kick your teacher in the balls right before you fire him.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by chandlerj

It's okay, EG is full imbeciles.

It's a good guitar IMO, but if you aren't satisfied by the pickups you can replace em.

Either way, not a fan of EMGs myself, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Lot of people like em for metal, but that's not all they can sound good for.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.